Don't They Say Sweet Things At Times.

Moonrakers

It is also naive of you to think loads of forum members will come on board with a list of swear words their kids use to make you laugh because at the end of the day if anyone hears a kid using gutter language they don't look at the kid, they look at the parent.

Naive? ooh, cheers for that. :)

Anyhoo. My personal favorite was when my nephew was a toddler. Like most kids he was curious what was that little thing between his legs was. My sister, being the scientist she is, explained to him that he was a boy, and he had a penis. So, being a bright intelligent 5 year old, he asked, "but you're a girl mommy, what do you have?" She said, "I am a girl, I have a vagina". Ok he says and toddles off. She figures, ok, that is that then.

Fast forward to visit to my boyfriend's parents where my adorable blue eyed blond haired 5 year old nephew says, "I am a boy, I have a penis. You are a girl, you have a vagina". I nearly died on the spot.

As Oxfordwill stated, his parents never swore & now he thinks it's a laugh to see who can swear the most in the pub, hardly the best advert for not swearing in front of kids is it.

Hello Boo. :)

At no point did I state my parents never swore and at no point did I say I think it's a laugh to see who can swear the most in the pub (although at pint 10, it's probably in the male thinking somewhere).

"If it were the most suitable word to use then I probably would use it in any setting. It is part of the language after all."

I challenge you to find one situation in which a swear word is the most suitable word to use. I can find a better word for any situation, a better word being defined as a word whose meaning or etylmology is more precise to the feeling, sentiment, thought or understanding being expressed in the given situation by your protagonist.

Someone who confronts any irritating situation with "fuc_k" will believe "fuc_k" to be the most suitable word for all irritating situations. Some people would call this ignorance.

For those suggesting that the use of bad language indicates a poor vocabulary and command of language, you really are being somewhat narrow minded.

Some of the greatest minds in history are known to turn the air blue on occasion. Two examples from modern days are Martin Scorsese and Irvine Welsh, both of whom not only have wonderfully creative minds and also a masterful grip on the language.

From what I understand even Sir. Winston Churchill had a potty mouth and even taught his pet parrot to swear.

If it is good enough for Sir. Winston, then it is DEFINITELY good enough for the folks on TV.

Edited by Moonrakers

Sorry I read this to mean your parents didn't swear in front of you when you were kids.

I think I heard my mum swear for the first time when I was 14 and my dad when I was 18 or older.
I challenge you to find one situation in which a swear word is the most suitable word to use. I can find a better word for any situation, a better word being defined as a word whose meaning or etymology is more precise to the feeling, sentiment, thought or understanding being expressed in the given situation by your protagonist.

Someone who confronts any irritating situation with "fuc_k" will believe "fuc_k" to be the most suitable word for all irritating situations. Some people would call this ignorance.

that is only one opinion Oxfordwill, there are quite a few situations where swearing might be appropriate, in court for example a judge may ask "what did the accused say to you" Reply: "Hand over your fuc_king bag or i'll punch you in the fuc_king face".

Ignorance or truth telling? Up to you but the op was recounting an amusing story that many parents recognise.

But not all situations require the word "fuc_k" or similar as response but some certainly do, you yourself gave examples. If your staff mess up & you have to work all weekend then you would deem some sort of swear word suitable but do you use the same profanity in every situation? :)

No one has said that they teach their kids to swear only that kids do pick up on them when we forget or slip up & seem to always repeat those instead of the the hundreds of non swear words parents speak daily but sadly the topic has been hijacked by pontificating & moral outrage.

Like I said a few posts back, now those who are easily offended are aware of the topic content it is quite simple to just not read it & leave us parents who don't think it's the end of the world for kids to hear swearing to post.

Think l have missed the point here of the post. Isn't the job of a parent to try and make their offspring better than them, and not drag them down to the level of gutter trash. The next thing will be how many spliffs they can out smoke you a day. Sorry if l sound off but l have watched my country go down hill cos of the kids following their parents example instead of parents keeping their bad behavier for the pub or football match.

When my 3 year old daughter is watching football down the pub with me that's not necessarily the best solution :)

Think l have missed the point here of the post. Isn't the job of a parent to try and make their offspring better than them, and not drag them down to the level of gutter trash. The next thing will be how many spliffs they can out smoke you a day. Sorry if l sound off but l have watched my country go down hill cos of the kids following their parents example instead of parents keeping their bad behavier for the pub or football match.

When my 3 year old daughter is watching football down the pub with me that's not necessarily the best solution :D

Takings kids down to the pub now..... :)

that is only one opinion Oxfordwill, there are quite a few situations where swearing might be appropriate, in court for example a judge may ask "what did the accused say to you" Reply: "Hand over your fuc_king bag or i'll punch you in the fuc_king face".

Well I don't know what to say to this quite blatant attempt to take things out of context. A judge trying to determine the.. no, you know what, you and I both know that's a very silly argument you just made. The word being a swear word has nothing to do with the situation you describe. And neither does suitability have anything to do with it.

Like I said a few posts back, now those who are easily offended are aware of the topic content it is quite simple to just not read it & leave us parents who don't think it's the end of the world for kids to hear swearing to post.

I'll consider this but it's now highly likely I will be here for the duration. :) Especially since I am neither offended nor a parent who thinks anything.

Drop it transam.

Not only are you taking things way out of context which is skewing this whole thread but you pushing your values onto others really is becoming quite tiring.

And Will.

I wouldn't be too critical, here's the other half to the man in your avatar.

I somehow think that Stephen Fry is not a man whom can be considered lacking in the language department and I think it fair to say that Hugh Lawrie will be of a similar mindest.

Edited by Moonrakers

/facepalm

most of us didn't go to finishing school and have elocution lessons. swearing, for most people, is part of everyday life. especially in this country. i am sure most parents (myself included) try their hardest not to use bad language in front of their children, but sometimes we forget. i had never actually heard my daughter say any bad words until she sat behind the wheel of that toy car and instantly put driving and swearing together.

obviously i am a bad parent... :)

I think it's generally accepted that swearing and foul language is here to stay and I doubt there are many who have not used it at some time. I admit having used the "f" word in front of the kid (like when I hit my thumb with the hammer) but was quick to explain that it was a bad word and not a nice thing to say.

The thing that got me started on this subject was first the heading "Don't They Say The Sweetest Things" and then the first few posts bragging how well the kids had picked up bad language.

"I am almost proud to say that I carry the baton (of swearing) and am upholding the tradition. More to the point I seem to be passing the tradition on already.(to 5 year old daughter)"

A proud boast

:)

If some of you can't accept a humorous and obviously somewhat tongue in cheek topic for what it is then just go elsewhere.

You claim to have some kind of superior intellect and understanding of the language when it is clear that you are either unwilling or unable to grab the context of this topic.

I really can't be bothered with you any more as it is clear that your minds are made up and so you will not see the light hearted side of this thread. You even take to casting aspersions and insults on others just because of a difference in opinion.

Mods. Please clean this this or just close it, unfortunately some feel the need to ruin it for everybody else.