Anyone Know The Name Of This Flowering Thai Tree?

I see it fairly often along rivers near the Burma border to the west. The flowers are bright scarlet and when in bloom there are no leaves on the tree. Cattle seem to like eating the fallen flowers and Thais apparently put them in soup. Anyone know what it is?

Blossom_tree_1.sized.jpg

Blossom_tree_4.sized.jpg

The trees can be quite large. The one behind my friends here is about 2 or more feet in diameter (about 60 cm).

Blossom_tree_2.jpg

I've tried researching but there are too many options on the internet. I'm not very good at research in finding specific items.

Its scientific name is Bombax ceiba, its Thai name is งิ้ว งิ้วแดง

Erwin

Wow! thanks a lot for that. I looked it up on Google and it gave me lots of information about the tree. It supposedly has medicinal purposes and the nectar in the flowers is sweet. Each flower only lasts a day.

Its scientific name is Bombax ceiba, its Thai name is งิ้ว งิ้วแดง

Erwin

Wow! thanks a lot for that. I looked it up on Google and it gave me lots of information about the tree. It supposedly has medicinal purposes and the nectar in the flowers is sweet. Each flower only lasts a day.

YOU GUYS AND GIRLS

don't u be too happy and excited about this tree....

most thais as well as chinese.... believe that

if u r a polygamist or adulterous, which i am confident u all are not the slightest....,

when u die.... u'll have to climb this tree.... up and down.... up and down.... forever.... :D

the thais most frequently refer to extramarital affairs in this context as.... K-UEARN (climb) TORN (stem) GNEW (gnew-tree) -ขิ้นต้นงิ้ว

so y'll had better not be messing around any longer.... alright? :) L O L

• 2 weeks later...

We are just starting to look at plants for our new house. While walking around the local nursery, my wife started telling me the "story" behind many of the plants. I guess here in Thailand, each plant has a meaning. I found that kinda neat...but like the description above, might have to be careful of some! :)

my wife says its called a yang tree and they flower she calls a pin.

correct,

the fallen flowers are collected by poeples,the inside of the flower is like a soft brush when dried,then added to food.

Quite expensive that stuff when bought in the markets.

The wood when cut/sawed is only good for construction work,very like balsa.

Has anybody any idea where balsa grows in Thailand/

I had some trees in the old lease,but cut and wasted,no use exept for modelling airplanes etc.

kraxlhuber, this is a bit off the original topic, but thought you might be interested to know that about 12 years ago, I obtained balsa seeds from a buddy in Papua New Guinea, where they were experimenting with possible plantations. I germinated about 90% of the seeds I planted in pots, then planted them out. They grew well, up until our land flooded and they were all dead within days. They reached a height of about 6 metres and the largest had a trunk diameter of about 20cm. They're a jungle type tree and so like tropical conditions but do not tolerate flooding. I know a friend was involved in a possible balsa growing project in Laos several years ago (with the Laos government) but I don't know what became of it. When I was trying to grow my balsa, I was not aware that there was any being grown in Thailand. Perhaps that's changed.

kraxlhuber, this is a bit off the original topic, but thought you might be interested to know that about 12 years ago, I obtained balsa seeds from a buddy in Papua New Guinea, where they were experimenting with possible plantations. I germinated about 90% of the seeds I planted in pots, then planted them out. They grew well, up until our land flooded and they were all dead within days. They reached a height of about 6 metres and the largest had a trunk diameter of about 20cm. They're a jungle type tree and so like tropical conditions but do not tolerate flooding. I know a friend was involved in a possible balsa growing project in Laos several years ago (with the Laos government) but I don't know what became of it. When I was trying to grow my balsa, I was not aware that there was any being grown in Thailand. Perhaps that's changed.

very well,thanks!

Balsa or a tree similar grows wild in Thailand ,mostly on Old forest land.

Your mishap came unexpected,with the flooding.

Teak trees among others are going dead when flooded for some time.Mahagony on the other hand are growing best in flooded land.

The missus says there is a tree specy,light/soft wood planting craze going on right now.

Its not the Cham Cha tree,in Thai.

I had such a tree growing by itself on a new landfill lease,grew 6 metres in 2 years,unbelievable,the fastest growing tree I ever saw,probably propageted by birds etc.

The wood is good for construction work,termites and other pests seem not attracted to the wood ,as I had some planks stored now for over 5 years,covered in a shelter,and not attacked.

BTW,a carpenter who is now doing some work at the house said to me, if I ever find Termites etc,in my (wooden Thai house), simply have some fertilizer such as the farmers use in the paddys, and that takes care of the pests.

I dont know now the trees name, but can find out.A lot of fraud is involved by seedling nurserys same as with the rubber tree(yang para)...

I grow some among my other species of trees(mixed forest),just 1 rai.

I know of somebody is growing in the north of Thailand Macademia Nut trees,the lady says they grow best in a elevation/sealevel of 600 metres,that was disputed by a member.

His word was" the M. tree grows in Hawaii and also in Aussie.

What do I know,I am not a botanical expert.

We are just starting to look at plants for our new house. While walking around the local nursery, my wife started telling me the "story" behind many of the plants. I guess here in Thailand, each plant has a meaning. I found that kinda neat...but like the description above, might have to be careful of some! :)

bit off that topic, but anyway ,talking about superstition or Volks-saga's.

I am a absolute Baobab tree fan,the "Andonisis Digitata",I grow some on the land plot's of my wife.

In Africa, mostly on the east coast,Tanzania,Madagascar etc. the saying is ;if you are smelling the flower (literally grapping a branch),

a tiger will eat you.

Not many tiger left in the wild in TIT,(maybe one is still roaming in Makkasan,remember the saga back 20 odd years ago?!

Maybe the Tiger Beer will get to you.5555