Chiang Mai V Uk, Europe, Usa Et Al

cerbera

Ive lived in chiang mai for 12 years. I love chiang mai. i love Thailand. All of my children have been born here. I love the people. They are possibly the friendliest people Ive ever encountered,

A big hairy but.

I truly cant work out why, on a cost benefit analysis anyone who owns property in Chiang mai and for example Europe or the US would continue to live here through choice.

Personally with the Baht at 50 to the GBPound everything I want to buy here is more expensive.

I will give a plethora of examples let me start with important stuff.

More expensive Than UK (london )

cheese

wine

beer

cheese

Beef

restaurants

travel

schools

health care

Air

water

Air

Air to the Graham number

Decent fish

Electricity

UBC / true rubbish

Mobiles

Cars

Big motorbikes.

Cultural diversions. The chiang mai museum of insects was enthralling, monkey and elephant shows wunderbar. But the British Museum has just a few more points of interest.

Ill think of a lot more

The only thing here in cm that is still value is cheap Thai food. Maids, gardeners, massages. (100 baht at wat umong..)

Please correct me if you feel differently.

I believe that the only reason any expat lives here now is beacause she or he has 1. a job 2. business or is 3. an economic refugee. Which is silly because its cheaper back home.

Me............. Im awaiting my fourth bambino then Im relocating.

COme on

Sorrry, I was living in the UK a year ago and almost everything is much cheaper here, generally costs here are 1/3 to 1/4 UK prices

Housing very cheap (UK I paid 1000 UKP a month + 160UKP council tax for 4 bed, here 7000bht for 3 bed)

No council tax

no heating bill (UK paid 250 UKP a month in winter for heating oil, here nothing)

Electricity is much cheaper 350bht vs 20UKP , mains water/sewage UK 50 UKP a month here free, drinking water 150bht a month

internet 1/3 price (600bht vs 34 pounds inc phone line)

mobile phones air time also cheap

school from the king very cheap, international school very expensive

decent a/v equipment you can't buy here at any price, but the star 6 show (150bht) and hotshots (420bht whiskey set) are far more fun

cheese, beef and wine I can live without (but Chang at 40bht a bottle or C-sip at 42bht is not expensive).

(although the gf insists on Spy wine coolers at 32bht 7/11 (or 65bht in a bar), not too expensive)

I download all my movies and TV shows now so no true/ubc costs (which were pretty much the same price as Sky in the UK)

cars and big m/cs are expensive, but I can live with my little m/c

If you are living here as a foreigner insisting on having all the foods from back in the UK then of course it will be very expensive, but as has been stated on many similar threads you need to adapt yourself to local foods.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Rent in a one-bedroom tiny old apt. in Houston $550 per month. In Chiang Mai a spacious semi-furnished 85 sq, meter, two-bedroom, two-bath with scenic views and balconies under $200/month even at today's rates.

No comparison. Smog's worse. M/C far more expensive in Texas. Schools - none.

AND HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU.

Yesterday the UK £ was 48 baht = £1.

It was annouced last night that the UK economy has crashed again and the £ has weakened even more.

So it`s going to get a lot worse folks. Better brace yourselves in the coming weeks it`s going to be a rough ride.

Edited by BigWheelMan

AND HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU.

Yesterday the UK £ was 48 baht = £1.

It was annouced last night that the UK economy has crashed again and the £ has weakened even more.

So it`s going to get a lot worse folks. Better brace yourselves in the coming weeks it`s going to be a rough ride.

You make it sound like a banger racing event :)

It think you mean that it is on a steady spiral downwards.

But the daily exchange rate is not the only factor (I only move cash when the rate is good, last time I was given 54bht to the pound)

While the UK/bht exchange rate has been reduced 12 percent in the last year, my UK stock portfolio has made a staggering 30 percent.

(I don't quite understand how the economy has crashed but shares are doing extremely well, one wonders if there is a bit of a currency scam going on)

Leaving me nearly 20 percent better off than last year.

The exchange rate will be back up soon enough, only those living hand to mouth suffer from short term currency fluctuations.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I can understand how somethings are cheaper in the UK/Europe then here but I think it depends. Correct me if I'm wrong, but UK has social programs like universal health care and subsidized education that cuts down the cost for people. So that factors in.

When comparing it to the USA, Thailand (depending where you live and how you spend) is Cheaper by far.

USA has no Universal health care. Everything is pretty much private, unless youre a Vet or on Medicare. Its so costly per year for a family, that cost is only cut down if you have benefits from an employer, which is still getting worst by the day. My mom's company use to pay 100% for most things. You prepay then get refunded the money you spent. Now its 80% and They will change it so to even lower.

Now my dad - he had a heart attack in the end of 2006. Went into the hospital for 5 days and had surgery to implant an ICD. Total cost of only 5 days + surgery was over $130,000. That he has to pay out of his own pocket cause his Insurance pulled some tricks and refuses to pay it now. Its ridiculous. Tylenol per pill was $30!!! I could have gone to the store and bought him the same thing in a bottle of 40 for $10!!! If he had everything he had done in USA at Bumrungrad, it would have been far far cheaper for him. Max would have been $50,000 and that pushing it.

Here in Thailand, everything is so much cheaper. I have monthly doctor appointment for my ADHD - PI, appointment ฿50, Ritalin - ฿375 ($11) for 1 month supply. yes I have to wait 2 hours, but how is that different from America other then price. in the US, I would have to co-pay for every visit ($30), and meds are anywhere from $75 - 100 which I pick up somewhere else!

Education is pretty much private in the US. You barely get any aid from the government. And if you cant get private aid, many people are forced to take private loans. which is outrageous. Say you spend $20,000 (including basic cost of living, supplies, university fees, books, tuition) a year and thats still watching your money. 4 yr for a BA = $60,000. For that much in Thailand, I could have done a BA, MA, and PH.D, lived at a decent apartment, and have a motorbike, and cost of living all paid for for all the years I would study here.

Food and eating out can get expensive if your eating Farang stuff and eating it ALL the time. I'm never really one for eating western food. I prefer my mother's SE Asian cooking over any western food any day (or Thai street food. lol). But I can understand the occasional burger or steak, every once in a while, but not everyday.

Eat Thai/ SE asian way. Its so cheap, even cheaper if you can make your own rice. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits with a little bit of protein (but not the same amount as western food).

Beef will always be expensive. Beef has never really been part of the SE Asian diet in the past or just for the very rich. Although now it is changing. Most cattle was raised to help with farming - and you dont eat the help. lol. There has been a growth in cattle farming, but not the sheer amount like in the US, which makes it cheap.

I can understand the cars being more expensive and how thats annoying, cause youre paying quite a bit more for a Thai made car and youre not sure if the quality is better or worse then in the West.

And everything else... still cheaper then US. lol!

I guess the only thing to say after that is learn to budget and set limits if youre having money issues. Account books are super cheap and everywhere. I've been using one since I've been here, and I started noticing my spending and started cutting back on things I dont need.

Okay, I'm lazy to keep writing so I think I'm done. :)

cheese - yes, dont buy it.. or buy mine when i make it!

wine - Go to Mae Sai

beer - Go to Mae Sai

Beef - The local stuff is too stringy (maybe i just get the cheap cuts)

restaurants - Oh come on... 000's of Thai restaurants!

travel - Under 20 quid to get to BK, or flight... nah..

schools - yes.

health care - depends how sick you are

Air - only use it for 4 or 5 months a year

water - crate loads per week - about 30 baht.

Decent fish - Hmm... possibly. Although tabtim is nice.

Electricity - 1000 a month (ish)

UBC / true rubbish - dont watch TV

Mobiles - Dont use it

Cars - Can get a banger for 20k, but HP is cheap enough

Big motorbikes. - Oh come on! Ooodles of cheap bikes out there half price! Ive got two and a scooter!

Having said all that, im sure its possible to form an import club and still beat the supermarkets for western foods!

Does DHL deliver cold stuff? I wonder what the sums are like.

Edited by whiterussian

I can understand how somethings are cheaper in the UK/Europe then here but I think it depends. Correct me if I'm wrong, but UK has social programs like universal health care and subsidized education that cuts down the cost for people. So that factors in.

When comparing it to the USA, Thailand (depending where you live and how you spend) is Cheaper by far.

USA has no Universal health care. Everything is pretty much private, unless youre a Vet or on Medicare. Its so costly per year for a family, that cost is only cut down if you have benefits from an employer, which is still getting worst by the day. My mom's company use to pay 100% for most things. You prepay then get refunded the money you spent. Now its 80% and They will change it so to even lower.

Now my dad - he had a heart attack in the end of 2006. Went into the hospital for 5 days and had surgery to implant an ICD. Total cost of only 5 days + surgery was over $130,000. That he has to pay out of his own pocket cause his Insurance pulled some tricks and refuses to pay it now. Its ridiculous. Tylenol per pill was $30!!! I could have gone to the store and bought him the same thing in a bottle of 40 for $10!!! If he had everything he had done in USA at Bumrungrad, it would have been far far cheaper for him. Max would have been $50,000 and that pushing it.

Here in Thailand, everything is so much cheaper. I have monthly doctor appointment for my ADHD - PI, appointment ฿50, Ritalin - ฿375 ($11) for 1 month supply. yes I have to wait 2 hours, but how is that different from America other then price. in the US, I would have to co-pay for every visit ($30), and meds are anywhere from $75 - 100 which I pick up somewhere else!

Education is pretty much private in the US. You barely get any aid from the government. And if you cant get private aid, many people are forced to take private loans. which is outrageous. Say you spend $20,000 (including basic cost of living, supplies, university fees, books, tuition) a year and thats still watching your money. 4 yr for a BA = $60,000. For that much in Thailand, I could have done a BA, MA, and PH.D, lived at a decent apartment, and have a motorbike, and cost of living all paid for for all the years I would study here.

Food and eating out can get expensive if your eating Farang stuff and eating it ALL the time. I'm never really one for eating western food. I prefer my mother's SE Asian cooking over any western food any day (or Thai street food. lol). But I can understand the occasional burger or steak, every once in a while, but not everyday.

Eat Thai/ SE asian way. Its so cheap, even cheaper if you can make your own rice. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits with a little bit of protein (but not the same amount as western food).

Beef will always be expensive. Beef has never really been part of the SE Asian diet in the past or just for the very rich. Although now it is changing. Most cattle was raised to help with farming - and you dont eat the help. lol. There has been a growth in cattle farming, but not the sheer amount like in the US, which makes it cheap.

I can understand the cars being more expensive and how thats annoying, cause youre paying quite a bit more for a Thai made car and youre not sure if the quality is better or worse then in the West.

And everything else... still cheaper then US. lol!

I guess the only thing to say after that is learn to budget and set limits if youre having money issues. Account books are super cheap and everywhere. I've been using one since I've been here, and I started noticing my spending and started cutting back on things I dont need.

Okay, I'm lazy to keep writing so I think I'm done. :)

America- land of the Free? :D

cheese - yes, dont buy it.. or buy mine when i make it!

wine - Go to Mae Sai

beer - Go to Mae Sai

Beef - The local stuff is too stringy (maybe i just get the cheap cuts)

restaurants - Oh come on... 000's of Thai restaurants!

travel - Under 20 quid to get to BK, or flight... nah..

schools - yes.

health care - depends how sick you are

Air - only use it for 4 or 5 months a year

water - crate loads per week - about 30 baht.

Decent fish - Hmm... possibly. Although tabtim is nice.

Electricity - 1000 a month (ish)

UBC / true rubbish - dont watch TV

Mobiles - Dont use it

Cars - Can get a banger for 20k, but HP is cheap enough

Big motorbikes. - Oh come on! Ooodles of cheap bikes out there half price! Ive got two and a scooter!

Having said all that, im sure its possible to form an import club and still beat the supermarkets for western foods!

Does DHL deliver cold stuff? I wonder what the sums are like.

beer & wine cheaper in Maesai? where?

or are you referring to duty free, in which case its One Litre per person? :)

Fraid i dont know, I drink Thai beer (or rather I havent drunk anything for 2 weeks now!! yipee).

But an old fart I know here (lived here nearly 40 years sends his missus up to Mae Sai every other week for his Heineken.

As for the wine, as everything in Thailand, there are ways I'm sure.

One that springs to mind is a convoy of hired Thai's to do a quick border run for you! :)

Fraid i dont know, I drink Thai beer (or rather I havent drunk anything for 2 weeks now!! yipee).

But an old fart I know here (lived here nearly 40 years sends his missus up to Mae Sai every other week for his Heineken.

As for the wine, as everything in Thailand, there are ways I'm sure.

One that springs to mind is a convoy of hired Thai's to do a quick border run for you! :)

my ex wife didnt like it when i sent her to the fridge for a beer, your old fart friend is a lucky man! :D

Some things are certainly cheaper in Uk than thailand, The aforementioned and, Big falang sized teeshirts(good ones),socks, and cheese.

Look at it this way, not including the flight, a month in Chiang mai (January), cost me the same as a month in the UK.

In the Uk, Even if i didnt work for the month, I still gotta eat. I still gotta fuel my vehicle. I live on the side of a hill, so staying at home isnt an option, unless i wanna go crazy. And i gotta heat my caravan. I live on the cheapest food, rarely drink or smoke. I aint complaining, I dont pay rent or council tax, but i do pay services.

In Chiang mai, I sleep most the day, eat mostly falang food in falang resturants, Have a few drinks at night( not many), smoke like a train, and live in a very comfortable guesthouse.

The cost of a good life and lifestyle in chiang mai, will hardly cover the cost of bare survival in the Uk.

Thailand is definately more expensive than it was, but it aint up to UK prices yet, even with the pound on its back.

Roll on Christmas, now I wanna get back.

I'm an American bachelor and I live on about 20k baht a month, or probably a little less. My 3 bedroom, 2 bath house in Sansai is only 5k/month. It's really too big for me but the price was so good I couldn't resist. I don't cook so I have a local Thai restaurant deliver Thai food to my house almost everyday for around 60-80 baht. In America, I would have to get fast food and that would be about 200 baht and A LOT more unhealthy than the good and varied Thai food here. I've never eaten more healthy than I have while here in Thailand (unless I get the delicious fried chicken!). So many vegies in all the dishes!!

My electric is at least half what it was in America, especially when you calculate that from about Nov-Feb, you don't have to use anything but a fan. As far as a phone, I love the "buy the credit only when you need it" compared to having to sign up to a $2500 baht/month plan for 2 years back home. Don't drink or smoke. I paid $50 for internet in USA, here, 1100 baht. Drinking water is so cheap might as well be free (house water is free for me).

I'm getting my IMBA at Payap with a total cost of about $4500 compared to anywhere from $20,000 to infinity in the USA. The teaching is great, we use USA curriculum and text books. I can go about 2 weeks on a full tank of gas on my Cagiva motorbike (330 baht to fill).

Eat farang food occasionally but I don't crave it that often and since I save money in so many other areas, I don't mind laying out 500 baht a meal once or twice a month.

Can't compare TV because the selection here sucks compared to back home but I was paying almost $70 a month there. But I download torrents of any shows I want and can watch them for free.

Gym is cheaper. Motorbike repairs are ridiculously cheaper.

I work in Thailand so the currency fluctuations don't effect me.

Also, tipping here is either not done at all or is negligible. When I go out to eat w/Thai friends and I lay down 30 or 40 baht, they say "too much". But 15% is almost demanded back in the States.

I wish electronics were cheaper, they should be since we are so close to where most of them are made. I haven't figured that out yet.

And haircut is 50 baht compared to over 300 baht. And one year of BUPA (Platinum) would be what I would have to pay for 2 months of coverage in the states. (Ironically, the USA is the ONLY country in the world that BUPA will NOT cover me in. That should tell you just how expensive health care is in America.)

Finally, I'm able to stash away a good amount in savings every month which was hard to do when I was in the States. Also, if/when I get a g/f my cost will increase, but if she's in it for the money, "bye bye".

Well some of what I may mention has already been covered, I thought that I would still make a contribution to this thread from a point of view from someone who has not yet moved there but is planning on it in the very near future!!.....One big reason for the move being.....ready for this?.....Cost!!! lol.

I am a Canadian that works overseas in the oil and gas industry and after weighing the benefit/disadvantages of this move I decided without a doubt cost wise its a no brainer decision for me!

My monthly rental costs for a small to modest single floor 2 bedroom home (with a view, small yard/garden and deck) in Canada including general services such as water, gas/heat, electricity and garbage pick up, runs me approx 1650.00/Month alone.....again....not a big place at all!!

Taxes incl.

Rent/services - 1650.00/month

Internet - 55.00/month

Mobile contract - 90.00/month

Satellite TV - 120.00/month

Insurance/registration cost's for my vehicle - 100.00/month approx.

total - 2015.00 x 32 = 64480 Baht!! not including healthcare, fuel, food, recreation.

Now these are just my basic monthly cost's off the top of my head for my living back home. OK, now to be entirely fair about things, once I make the move to Chiang Mai there will be things that I will not be wanting like Satellite as I will more than likely do what many others have mentioned and just download any shows that I wish to watch. Mobile will be MUCH cheaper than our Canadian crooks when it comes to airtime and contracts, ect.

As for vehicle, well it will be much cheaper for me to be able to run a M/C basically year round in comparison to running my big dodge diesel, lol. Fuel prices are very similar, but again since I am able to run a M/C year round it lowers my costs considerably.

Health care I am sure I can get close to if not the same or better type of coverage as my BC health care through say BUPA or similar for around the same yearly price (maybe a bit more) Dental is MUCH cheaper.

Recreation wise will be much cheaper for a guy like myself as I am big on hiking/exploring, fishing and basically just "outdoors" type of activities which my biggest expense of this back home being the fuel costs of getting to such places.

Anyways......long story short, I figure that with all of the mentioned above expenses, fuel costs, insurances, groceries and so on that at home I am probably spending in the neighborhood of at least 100000 baht monthly and I know for a fact that even if I was to live the exact same (well other than owning a big fuel hungry truck of course!) as this when I come to Thailand, that I can indeed do it for MUCH less. And one of the great things about it all for me is that especially after cutting out the Satellite, savings on the mobile, and general household services in comparison to Canada thats just that much more that I can put away in my. pocket.....and well if I can't live there comfortably for less than what I can at home or approx 100000 baht a month.....well then maybe I should get my head checked, hahaha......in fact, if I can't do it for half or less of that if I choose/wish to, then I should probably get it checked to ensure that I don't have something loose or not right up there! :)

The best part about it all for me though???...........The wonderful experience of being able to move/live there and really experience the country and cultures first hand!!!

Its a win win for me as far as i'm concerned!!

Just my 2cents worth, lol

Mike