Adsl Via Lan And Dial-up Run At The Same Time

opalhort

Systems: XP SP3, IE6&7 and Chrome, OE6.

When our ADSL drops out (like today - on-off) I go on dial-up. No problem and works fine.

But during the times ADSL is up and running I would like to use it rather than dial-up without having to disconnect from dial-up (every new dial-in is 3Baht) but my PCs stick with the dial-up even at times when ADSL is OK.

My son's PC (Vista) has no problem, it auto selects the connection with the best speed.

Any way I can set XP to select or at least let me select which connection to use?

opalhort

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you are still looking for a solution on this one - I have seen your other threads.. - but stumbled about your question and it got me curious.

I think you should be able to get the desired behavior (Dialup always on but ADSL takes precedence when active) by playing with the routing options in Windows.

A lower metric value will have Windows prefer that connection.

On the command line type

netsh interface ip show address

This will list the metric values for your connected interfaces

(You can also type 'route PRINT')

Change the metric for your network card that connects to the ADSL router to 20, and the metric value for your dialup connection to 30.

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-20...etwork-adapter/

I'm not 100% sure this will fix it - but it shouldn't break anything. If you are interested in giving it a try, please run 'route PRINT' on the command line and post the output here.

Here more information on that topic: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894564

welo

Edited by welo

or you can go into the settings of internet explorer tools>internet options>connections and set the default connection to either the modem or adsl

This looks like an even easier solution! Does this setting only affect Internet Explorer or all internet traffic (Other web browsers, Skype, etc)?

welo

If you go into the network connections on your pc, right click network connection on desktop then properties in your dial up you should have 2 dialup connections your ADSl and your normal Dial up if you right click the ADSl then you should be able to select use this as default, this should then mean any app or browser that wants to use the net will dial that connection