Whats The Most Proffitable Thin To Do With 2 Rai Of Land In Isaan

I've only heard the word 'ton son' used for real pines. Am curious to know what other type of tree is referred to as 'ton son.'

Son Chad is a Norfolk Island Pine, which isn't a pine either. (Still doesn't grow back when cut though. :) )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• 6 months later...

http://www.herbsfromwales.co.uk/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=44

This is what I would do.

It would be cheap to set up. The equipment needed is available throughout Thailand.

The fish can be farmed at a much higher density because of the recycling/areation. The only additional water needed is to replace evapouration

All the fish waste feeds the plants in the growbeds.The crop yeilds and growth rates are amazing.

As your knowledge increases, add more units.

Each set of fishtank & growboxes is seperate from the rest so that the risk of disease wiping out your entire stock is greatly reduced.

You could also experiment with higher value species as your knowlege increases ie prawns

2 rai is more than enough land to start this project and by rearing as many species as possible will give you a greater opportunity to sell at the farm gate

Ignore the knockers and the pessimists listen to IA Watersedge RBH (and others) What do you think guys?

I live in a house with 2 1/2 rai behind it, we have 60 pigs, a pond stocked with over 1000 fish and 30 guava trees at the top of the land and spotted around there are about 20 bannana trees( spring up like weeds).

The trouble is if you live on the land or is it a fair distance from your home. If its a long way a way pigs are out of the question, is there a pond or reliable water source?. You can make some money but not alot through planting things like sugar cane or guava etc but be prepared for hard work with little reward.

I would be tempted to think of it as a long term investment and plant rubber trees ( are there still government subsidies) and in a few years time start tapping. Little work little money invovled just a waiting game.

http://www.herbsfrom...id=13&Itemid=44

This is what I would do.

It would be cheap to set up. The equipment needed is available throughout Thailand.

The fish can be farmed at a much higher density because of the recycling/areation. The only additional water needed is to replace evapouration

All the fish waste feeds the plants in the growbeds.The crop yeilds and growth rates are amazing.

As your knowledge increases, add more units.

Each set of fishtank & growboxes is seperate from the rest so that the risk of disease wiping out your entire stock is greatly reduced.

You could also experiment with higher value species as your knowlege increases ie prawns

2 rai is more than enough land to start this project and by rearing as many species as possible will give you a greater opportunity to sell at the farm gate

Ignore the knockers and the pessimists listen to IA Watersedge RBH (and others) What do you think guys?

Heres another link http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/component/content/article/4/46-plants.html

• 3 weeks later...

If it is near your house and you have a good water supply to get through the dry season, and if you are willing to take this 'gamble'... Try agar-wood, thai call this Kritsana.

The trees can be bought real cheap when they are small. You will have to replace about 20% of them after the first year (even if you take real good care) but after the second year they become much less demanding. We have put 300 trees per rai and about 250 still live (after almost 2 years).

These trees can produce a very profitable resin, but they do not always do so. After they are about 3 years old you can stimulate them to produce this resin by giving them injections with iron, yeast and sodium bisulfite (not sure if I got that last name right, but it is NaHSO3, a commonly used perservative).

This resin does over 40,000 euro/Kg (that is more expensive than gold). If you are not interested in setting up a factory to extract this resin, you can sell the trees for about 100,000 THB per tree if they contain the resin, or they will pay 1,000,000 Baht per rai for the trees (untested).

If the trees grow well, they may be ready to sell after 6 year, but I think 10 years would be more realistic.

So, invest about 25,000 THB in trees, water and work and after 10 years this will give you 1,000,000 THB (per rai).

These profit margins can't be true...can they?

Anybody know the tree/resin this poster is talking about?