Photos - Bangkok People Welcome Redshirts

cavelight

Many of these people are getting paid to attend the protests. I have employees from the North who asked me for time off work so that they can take part in protests. They told me it was an opportunity to make extra money. I didn't give them time off.

BBC News (2010) Red-shirt protests: Views from Thailand [Online] Available at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8570420.stm

Quite feasible that those who couldn't get permission to take the day of were simply paid to walk out and greet the protesters as they drove past?

I remember that when the coup happened, in September 2006, the military troops participating in the action - manning checkpoints, etc - were treated in a pretty friendly manner by a wide spectrum of the population in Bangkok - so far as to have locals and local businesses giving them food and drink. At the time, I do not remember any significant heckling or demonization of the troops. Leaders - yes - but not the foot-soldiers.

With that said, I don't necessarily think that all the people who treated the troops nicely were in favor of the coup, or the ouster if the sitting government at that time.

So - this week, when peaceful Red Shirts basically "made a parade" - and bystanders waved and smiled - I do not necessarily think that all of those bystanders support the UDD leadership - I think they may have just been reacting to the "festive" atmosphere.

Note that the Thai Army PSYOPS unit that greeted the protesters at the 11th Regiment HQ on Monday treated them with respect, good-natured humor, and smiles. That does not mean that the military folks shared their views. In fact, the military probably respected the folks as being sincere and well-meaning - but perhaps also indoctrinated in support of a lousy cause.

The folks who rolled up their sleeves, and donated blood to the blood stunt - OK - I will grant to you that these were ardent Red supporters. All the waving passers-by: not so much.

Not necessarily indicative of political support from all those people, people like spectacles and will smile and wave as long as things are happy and cheerful and not violent. If you want to see the level of support go see how many red shirts are in Ratdamnern. Make note how you see almost none 50m from that road or in the rest of the city

I remember that when the coup happened, in September 2006, the military troops participating in the action - manning checkpoints, etc - were treated in a pretty friendly manner by a wide spectrum of the population in Bangkok - so far as to have locals and local businesses giving them food and drink. At the time, I do not remember any significant heckling or demonization of the troops. Leaders - yes - but not the foot-soldiers.

With that said, I don't necessarily think that all the people who treated the troops nicely were in favor of the coup, or the ouster if the sitting government at that time.

So - this week, when peaceful Red Shirts basically "made a parade" - and bystanders waved and smiled - I do not necessarily think that all of those bystanders support the UDD leadership - I think they may have just been reacting to the "festive" atmosphere.

Note that the Thai Army PSYOPS unit that greeted the protesters at the 11th Regiment HQ on Monday treated them with respect, good-natured humor, and smiles. That does not mean that the military folks shared their views. In fact, the military probably respected the folks as being sincere and well-meaning - but perhaps also indoctrinated in support of a lousy cause.

The folks who rolled up their sleeves, and donated blood to the blood stunt - OK - I will grant to you that these were ardent Red supporters. All the waving passers-by: not so much.

Exactly! You guys forget where you are. People here will do anything for a chance to have fun, and "ab baeu". It doesn't necessarily mean they agree with the group. There definitely is support in Bangkok for the reds, but it is, as BKKJames said, a minority.

Nice try. Where were they on Sunday - their big chance to show support, and barely a fraction of the Bangkok population bothered to travel minutes to an hour to join the fun. Let's see the numbers on Saturday - if the reds draw 100,000 people that would be impressive - but its still only 1% of Bangkok's population. Saturday will be the final final final last ditch attempt to show the government whats what. What it will show is how little support there is for a mis / un guided quasi-political / voodoo movement whose main objective so far has been to bring a convicted thief back into power.

Edited by Netfan

if the same thing were to happen over the songkran holiday period. i doubt there would be as many in the photos. reason being they would all be making their way back home for the holidays. home being chiang mai, issan and other regions of the north and north east of the country.

they came by my house yesterday en route to their blood spilling and the local noodle vendors, motorcycle taxis , maids, 7 attendants, fruit sellers, coffee shop attendants and other hangers about waved at them happily. in fact it had a very parade feel.

that said, through conversations with a few of the happy onlookers i did not get the impression that they necessarily supported the movement or the blood pouring, they were just caught up in the parade/festival like atmosphere of loud music honking horns and waving fools.

i know i was, my daughter loved it too, waving at them with a big smile as they waved back. children love a parade. as do many adults.

it also bears mentioning that most of the people in your photos appear to be smiling at you and the camera

Edited by t.s

The only time I saw any Redshirts was on Saturday, when I drove out around Victory Monument when a caravan of the were arriving. Unfortunately, I was too busy driving to take any pictures.

I was struck by the festive atmosphere of the arriving Reds. I was also reassured to see a wide range of age among them with very few young men (who are far more likely to do unwise things than women or older men). Quite a few of the onlookers were smiling or waving or actually cheering them on. I would guess that 1/3 of the rather large crowd seemed to support them and 2/3rds looked unenthusiastic. I use that word because they didn't seem either hostile or friendly, just interested and wary (probably remembering last Songkran).

I think many people were pleasantly surprised by how friendly and well behaved the Reds were. I know that I was. If their leaders would just learn to keep their mouths shut, the whole thing could have had a much more positive impact on their reputation here in BKK.