Foreign Investors Remain Confident In Thailand Despite Political Standoff

webfact

Foreign investors remain confident in Thailand despite political standoff

BANGKOK (TNA) -- Foreign investors are still confident about investing in Thailand although the political standoff continues to intensify, according to Board of Investment (BoI) Secretary-GeneralAtchaka Sibunruang.

She said most foreign investors understood the political movement in Thailand and believed the ongoing political standoff would not drag on and the situation would return to normal soon.

A survey on investors’ opinions found that no matter how much under duress the Thai economy would be, foreign investors continue to realise Thailand’s growth potential.

She said applications for BoI investment promotions last year reached Bt720 billion, which was Bt400 billion higher than expected.

“The overall Thai economy has begun recovering as can be witnessed by the increased exports since the 4th quarter of last year. This year, we are still confident applications for BoI promotional privileges will not be lower than Bt500 billion.

“BoI plans to conduct more than 150 activities this year to boost investment overseas.

Next week, I will take a team of officials and private-sector representatives to a motor show in Indonesia to ask businesspeople there whether they are interested in buying auto parts from Thailand,” she said.

Mrs Atchaka revealed Indian investors planned to make a feasibility study for investment in car tire production in March.

However, they postponed the project because they wanted to monitor the political standoff for a while.

Once the situation eases, she believed, the Indian investors will resume the investment project. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

great for thailand. happy to sell stuff out the country. the system is not exactly fair when it come to importing into thailand. imagine if the countries they export to started charging 200 % tax and 80% tax and silly prices that make it very hard.

great for thailand. happy to sell stuff out the country. the system is not exactly fair when it come to importing into thailand. imagine if the countries they export to started charging 200 % tax and 80% tax and silly prices that make it very hard.

I bet there are many jobless people in America that imagine that a LOT right now! :)

Anyway, where are investors going to go, America, China, Greece?

Foreign investors are generally happy to invest in countries with high levels of corruption, so I do see the point.

So true. I guess my expanded point is that Thailand is behind the pack in the race to becoming another looted and bankrupt nation state. Thailand ousted a very powerful corporatist looter who enriched himself to Thailand's detriment. So Thailand still has some meat on the bone, while the other states I mentioned are cleaned to the bone by the insatiable financial vultures.

"next please" :)

"In the 20th century, Detroit, Michigan, symbolized American industrial might. Today it symbolizes the offshored economy.

Detroit’s population has declined by half. A quarter of the city--35 square miles--is desolate with only a few houses still standing on largely abandoned streets. If the local government can get the money from Washington, urban planners are going to shrink the city and establish rural areas or green zones where neighborhoods used to be."

http://www.counterpunch.org/roberts03172010.html

"Experts are expecting a recession in China along with a new wave of the economic crisis. They say that the next two years may become critical for both China and the global economy. The growth of the Chinese GPD is caused by financial bubbles that can burst and bring the country into a recession followed by a global economic crisis..."

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article17242.html

"Greece's credit rating -- the assessment of its ability to repay its debts -- has been downgraded to the lowest in the eurozone, meaning it will likely be viewed as a financial black hole by foreign investors."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/02/10/gre...anda/index.html

Foreign investors are generally happy to invest in countries with high levels of corruption, so I do see the point.

Don't be silly.

International investors much prefer a level playing field and clear legal sight lines.

What is clear now is that with Thaksin now definitively out of the way, a period of political stability will encourage positive inward investment.

Don't be silly.

International investors much prefer a level playing field and clear legal sight lines.

What is clear now is that with Thaksin now definitively out of the way, a period of political stability will encourage positive inward investment.

Not silly, but realistic.

Thailand probably has one of the highest numbers of coups, coup attempts and governments overthrown. Yet, investors remain "confident". They're not confident that Thailand is a safe place for their money, or that Thailand is stable, but they're confident that the amount of money to be made outweighs the risks involved.

Edited by rainman

If that is the case acording to Bloomberg Thailand be the place in Asia to invest and Great Britain in Western Europe.Acording to Bloomberg Germany is the least corrupt and Great Briton to my surprise the most.

Don't be silly.

Thailand probably has one of the highest numbers of coups, coup attempts and governments overthrown. Yet, investors remain "confident". They're not confident that Thailand is a safe place for their money, or that Thailand is stable, but they're confident that the amount of money to be made outweighs the risks involved.

You deliberately misunderstand.

Investment will now increase in Thailand because your hero Thaksin is out of the way.

Investment has lagged in Thailand precisely because of the threatened civil war scenario.

Without Thaksin as a serious force any more, investment will now increase.

Risk will decrease.

Thaksin represented instability and uncertainty.

Thaksin's defeat has already produced a positive effect this last week in the SET.

We know you have difficulty understanding economics, but please make an extra effort.

Don't be silly.

Investment will now increase in Thailand because your hero Thaksin is out of the way.

Investment has lagged in Thailand precisely because of the threatened civil war scenario.

Risk will decrease.

Thaksin's defeat has already produced a positive effect this last week in the SET.

We know you have difficulty understanding economics, but please make an extra effort.

I think you're the one that misunderstands. Before the military coup and before Thaksin was removed, there was no civil war threat. The country is now being divided because the army removed a legally elected Prime Minister ..and we're certainly closer to civil war now than before. Think again.

Finally, no need to be insulting, thank you.

I think you're the one that misunderstands. Before the military coup and before Thaksin was removed, there was no civil war threat. The country is now being divided because the army removed a legally elected Prime Minister ..and we're certainly closer to civil war now than before. Think again.

As I thought, economics is not your strong point, otherwise you wouldn't be avoiding the thrust of the thread.

I repeat, your hero Thaksin is finished, the threat of civil war has now receded after your decisive defeat this weekend and investors will be very happy with that.

The economic outlook for Thailand will now improve without Thaksin having an effective influence.

Maybe, instead of finance, red apologists are happier living in their own limited world of blood chucking and homophobia.

Thaksin was certainly happier with an economic corrupt environment.

But he's in Montenegro.

For a long, long time.

Don't be silly.

Risk will decrease.

That is probably one of the most infantile readings of the current situation it is possible to imagine. I don,t know much you understand economics but you know bugger all about political and social movements. You don't defeat an ideal that easily, you really think these people are just going to go home and say "Oh well, that,s it, nothing more we can about it" ? Even if 99% thought that way the remaining 1% could bring carnage and chaos to Thailand if they so determined. For many of those people, for many of those that will probably align themselves with them now, this has nothing to do with Thaksin. Millions of Thai's believe,rightly or wrongly, that they are never going to achieve social justice or economic equality through the ballot box. History teaches us that that through such movements violent splinter groups emerge. Thailand will be no exception to this.

That is probably one of the most infantile readings of the current situation it is possible to imagine. I don,t know much you understand economics but you know bugger all about political and social movements. You don't defeat an ideal that easily, you really think these people are just going to go home and say "Oh well, that,s it, nothing more we can about it" ? Even if 99% thought that way the remaining 1% could bring carnage and chaos to Thailand if they so determined. For many of those people, for many of those that will probably align themselves with them now, this has nothing to do with Thaksin. Millions of Thai's believe,rightly or wrongly, that they are never going to achieve social justice or economic equality through the ballot box. History teaches us that that through such movements violent splinter groups emerge. Thailand will be no exception to this.

What a load of speculative twaddle. Reads like a Politics 101 class notes extract,

The markets don't have to deal with nonsense like this and quite rightly so.

You dream on with your revolutionary fantasies

Meanwhile the Thailand economy will continue to expand without the blood-sucker Thaksin.

Excellent progress this year and it is set to get better without the broken red forces.

get real.

What a load of speculative twaddle. Reads like a Politics 101 class notes extract,

Meanwhile the Thailand economy will continue to expand without the blood-sucker Thaksin.

Excellent progress this year and it is set to get better without the broken red forces.

get real.

For the record I'm as much of a capitalist as anyone and probably stand to lose more than most should Thailand go belly up. Unlike yourself however I,m astute enough to see that this is not going to go away, and that's also very much the view of multi-national companies that I deal with on a daily basis that have huge investments in Thailand. What the hel_l, gave up arguing with blinkered fools like you in grade school.

All this coup stuff and political uncertainty is essentially market noise. It really doesnt affect business much. If anything Thailand looks to have a very competent Government that people are gaining increasing confidence in as Thaksin fades away. Political uncertainty has always been a reason to buy the market rather than sell it. I see increasing stability over the next 5 years.

And when your problems are trying to stop the baht appreciating or allowing liquidity and inflation to rise (they cant raise rates or it will simply attract more capital) Thailand looks very prone to a liquidity driven asset bubble at the moment. To the extent there are still worries it simply means upside. I mean the foreign press indicated that the red shirts were putting Thailand on the verge of civil war - while it was all pretty pathetic.

get real.

For the record I'm as much of a capitalist as anyone and probably stand to lose more than most should Thailand go belly up. Unlike yourself however I,m astute enough to see that this is not going to go away, and that's also very much the view of multi-national companies that I deal with on a daily basis that have huge investments in Thailand. What the hel_l, gave up arguing with blinkered fools like you in grade school.

Apparently not.

Thailand isn't going belly up.

Far from it.

It appears that Thaksin has a few liberal expat petty-bourgeois fellow-travellers who think like Maoist throwbacks who both romanticise and patronise the peasantry.

Fortunately business is not so daft.

Thailand's increased growth with the disarray of Thaksin's reds will provide the necessary finance for necessary reforms.

Abhisit looks smart enough to do it.

Don't be silly.

Risk will decrease.

Tell Mr. Monson who invested in Thailand and was ripped off for his TOTAL investment

and then jailed on bogus charges by Thaksin, that foreign investors don't like a level

playing field, and don't feel more confident with Thaksin out of the picture.

Lack of understanding being pointed out isn't an insult, unless you are extra special touchy.

Realistic is in the real world and investors prefer stability in the real world,

only plunging speculators prefer instability they might profit on.

They remain confident that there is no apparent end to the current political standoff.

This kind of stupid rhetoric insults people's intelligence.

Well yours certainly.

Your hero has been defeated and the troops demoralised.

Well done Abhisit.

Standoff? Yelling demands is no standoff.

And neither is shouting nonsense from Montenegro.

Your whole argument rests on the premise that Thaksin is defeated. I, and others like me take the view that to defeat this man you have to put him in his box and drive a stake through his heart. He is evil, ruthless and as dangerous as a wounded bear. Also no doubt still very rich. In a country awash with arms and discontent he is most definitely not defeated.

Your whole argument rests on the premise that Thaksin is defeated. I, and others like me take the view that to defeat this man you have to put him in his box and drive a stake through his heart. He is evil, ruthless and as dangerous as a wounded bear. Also no doubt still very rich. In a country awash with arms and discontent he is most definitely not defeated.

The red apologists would be quite happy for everyone to think that like Freddie in a Halloween movie, Thaksin cannot be put down.

Even Napoleon ended up a prisoner on the island of St Helena.

Outside of remaining an irritant, yes he has been defeated as a serious political force.

One of the most recent incidents which is amusing was the sending of some reds to demonstrate outside the US Embassy.

It is quite a serious matter if Thaksin's communications are being tracked and then passed on.

Slowly but surely he is being boxed up until the next set of elections in 2011.

The final coup de grace will be a formality.

Good for business. Good for Thailand.

Thailand economy is at the mercy of China quantitative easing, just like everywhere else.

When the chinese consider enough is enough then they all go tits up.

Bring on the elections , return the country to Democracy, The Rural Electoral Democracy Supporters.

Thailand economy is at the mercy of China quantitative easing, just like everywhere else.

Bring on the elections , return the country to Democracy, The Rural Electoral Democracy Supporters.

Simplistic speculation clod as usual.

Elections coming in 2011.

Thaksin going nowhere.

Thai economy picking up is a fact

Edited by yoshiwara

Thaksin going nowhere.

Congratulations on finding your level then, probably a little below though.

Are you sure about elections in 2011, do you think the junta will allow that, or is that just your usual simplistic speculation?icon6.gif

The rest of it is .

Thaksin going nowhere.

Are you sure about elections in 2011, do you think the junta will allow that, or is that just your usual simplistic speculation?icon6.gif

The rest of it is .

Yes, I am sure about elections in 2011.

I know its not on the Thaksin campaign notes you read from.

Too much time for Abhisit to do a good job.

Too much time for Thailand to get used to the idea that your hero Thaksin is surplus to requirements.

Too much time for the reds to splinter as a political force.

Only a year.

Tick-tock.

Thaksin going nowhere.

The rest of it is .

Yes, I am sure about elections in 2011.

I know its not on the Thaksin campaign notes you read from.

Too much time for Abhisit to do a good job.

Too much time for Thailand to get used to the idea that your hero Thaksin is surplus to requirements.

Too much time for the reds to splinter as a political force.

Only a year.

Tick-tock.

Abis Barmy Army.

More than a little below.