After Soi Cowboy...what Next?

Terminator

Have been in and out of Thailand now for the past 20 years or so, and last night in Soi Cowboy I was just wondering over a few beers...

First few years Patpong was the place to be with Nana just starting and Soi Cowboy with just a few laid back bars.

Then Nana start to expand, Patpong became a copy shopping mall and going downhill fast and Soi Cowboy, was still laid back but with more A GoGo's and bars opening up.

Next Nana was the place to be, you could forget about Pong which quickly was becoming a dive and good ol' Soi Cowboy with the Arab's arrival started to turn in somethings else.

And here we are today, Nana has had it, as well as Patpong, Cowboy now has become as commercial as it can be, so where we go from here??

Don't talk about Soi 33 which is what it is, while Soi 22 and Washington Square must surely be has beens.

So where are we going next, or is this truly the beginning of the end of the expat nightlife areas????

Edited by Terminator

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nana is going down hill very fast, around gullivers its turning into little Africa and with the Arabs and Africans opening shops all over the place,

Its a place I spend less time each time I go there. even in gullivers I get hassled by the Africans to play pool 100 baht a game and they have first call on the tables,

I was in there last week nice and early for a quite beer and a game of pool only two thai girls were playing so I asked the pool guy to set a table up for me ,to knock about own my own.

But he said you have to play him pointing to an African guy, so I said no I will use another table , no you must play him, So i did and of course won the game , then out comes the money ,and the question play for 100 baht a game.

he keplt on until I was so p#ssed of I left Then out side they started asking if I want nice Afican lady,

So Please please Thailand claim back your soi's before its to late

A miffed colino.

PP is coming back, several decent normal'ish bars opening in newly renovated interiors and Lucifer is re-opened with a newly renovated place...

But those copy shopping markets are still a nuisance, however I was told Patpong 2 ain't to bad to go out the way for.

Nana is going down hill very fast, around gullivers its turning into little Africa and with the Arabs and Africans opening shops all over the place,

Its a place I spend less time each time I go there. even in gullivers I get hassled by the Africans to play pool 100 baht a game and they have first call on the tables,

I was in there last week nice and early for a quite beer and a game of pool only two thai girls were playing so I asked the pool guy to set a table up for me ,to knock about own my own.

But he said you have to play him pointing to an African guy, so I said no I will use another table , no you must play him, So i did and of course won the game , then out comes the money ,and the question play for 100 baht a game.

he keplt on until I was so p#ssed of I left Then out side they started asking if I want nice Afican lady,

A miffed colino.

Surely this area has become a real horror stretch especially when after midnight, so this are is off the map.

Soi 7/1 just makes it, but the Beat club just about had it, is times over us as well at the good ol' Thermae which now only caters for the Japs with their classical school girls (read pro's) line ups.

So where else??? :)

Nana will eventually close and relocate elsewhere. Maybe this will be the new 'in' place. Who knows?

Says Who??? Seriously, where u get this information? I think the Lumpini Police Station wouldn't give up on this huge Cash Machine.

A miffed colino.

<deleted>!!!

Edited by Lammbock

Who in their right mind would go to Bangkok anyway

You got it wrong somtampet, its not Bangkok the OP is on about, its the "places to be" in Bangkok..aka Nana and Soi Cowboy etc. Didnt you know thats where all the cool people hang out? Its so very sad when you can no longer sip a beer and enjoy the local go-go scene in a refined manner anymore, now that they've let all the rif-raf in. Goodness, whatever is Thailand thinking allowing these precious zones to get spoiled!

:)

You got it wrong somtampet, its not Bangkok the OP is on about, its the "places to be" in Bangkok..aka Nana and Soi Cowboy etc. Didnt you know thats where all the cool people hang out? Its so very sad when you can no longer sip a beer and enjoy the local go-go scene in a refined manner anymore, now that they've let all the rif-raf in. Goodness, whatever is Thailand thinking allowing these precious zones to get spoiled!

I can read Eek

Hate all over Bangkok not just The prossie areas,thats what the post meant

Some posts are skirting with the prohibition on posting specifics on prostitution and in disparaging others based on nationality.  So please watch your posts.  If posts start going over the line, the thread will have to be closed.

Some posts are skirting with the prohibition on posting specifics on prostitution and in disparaging others based on nationality.  So please watch your posts.  If posts start going over the line, the thread will have to be closed.

Is this mean it is not allowed to talk about Thai Prostitution on ThaiVisa.com????

Is this mean it is not allowed to talk about Thai Prostitution on ThaiVisa.com????

you are right,and very difficult to talk about most things on thaivisa.Your best bet is to read,digest and keep your comments quiet,much better.

From the ThaiVisa Forum Rules:

18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.

Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

A miffed colino.

I guess after reading this, a good answer to the original question might be "home"!

I can read Eek

Hate all over Bangkok not just The prossie areas,thats what the post meant

er...i dont think you got my point..

If it helps i will clarify that i was actually on your side (agreeing with you).

But, I was being sarcastic about Nana et al those places..

Glad you can read, but sad that you read it wrong..but nvm.

I think that ppor enforcement of order by the police has had an adverse effect on Nana particularly, with those whose specifics we must not discuss lining Sukhumvit road, and the illegal pavement bars; the ladyboy pick-pockets on the South Side of Sukhumvit are not a welcome attraction. I'd like to see Sukhumvit cleaned up, and all the muckiness kept behind closed doors (or at least heavy velvet curtains) - at least the publicans have an interest in keeping things ticking over safely and cleanly.

SC

I think that ppor enforcement of order by the police has had an adverse effect on Nana particularly, with those whose specifics we must not discuss lining Sukhumvit road, and the illegal pavement bars; the ladyboy pick-pockets on the South Side of Sukhumvit are not a welcome attraction. I'd like to see Sukhumvit cleaned up, and all the muckiness kept behind closed doors (or at least heavy velvet curtains) - at least the publicans have an interest in keeping things ticking over safely and cleanly.

SC

With the closing of the Night Bazaar, the Suk could take over that kind of shopping and night life, but only if it was cleaned up.  The restaurants are already there.  And while the vendors make walking difficult, if the more adult and criminal aspects were cleaned up and pushed elsewhere, I think there would be a significant increase in a more eclectic tourist and Thai customer base on the strip.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Washington Sq get a revamp. It certainly needs one and is in the right location. I suspect a mega-hotel/shopping complex will arrive first though.

Cowboy looks permanent and well established, but that precinct used to be much bigger until about 6 years ago when the other complex on the corner down to soi 23 was suddenly closed down by the heavy mob. And behind those neon lights are a load of dilapidated shop houses with bars on the ground floor.

Soi 0 under the expressway should have been a good location but failed. Under that expressway all the way up to the khlong is a vacant area that even the neighbouring shanty town hasn't been allowed to expand into. Went for a walk and stumbled into that area once. A disquieting experience, but wasn't threatened at all.

People have been saying for years that NEP will close and I expect one day it will, but I doubt any of these people are in the know. I think that if it did, the nearby hotels and tourist infrastructure would go with it and there's no hurry to close it.

Seeing this topic is under close watch, let me first make it clear that what I'm about to say is on the topic of bars & nightlife. Drinking, playing pool, hanging out with friends, etc. That's primarily what I'm looking for when going out in Bangkok.

That said... I don't like Cowboy much. Absolutely hate Patpong. Nana as lost pretty much all of the small fun bars. This is happening in Cowboy as well, there were times when places weren't managed to death , with rules for everything. I don't think I need say more than "Midnite". All the new ones are far too professional and formulaic.

So where do I go.. Small sois mostly. 7/1. Boo Sa Bar is back under the original management after being rented out for over a year. And it shows, it's great. Laid back management and laid back rules for me make all the difference.

Of course 7/1 is a bit too small to be "THE" next area, but I can see this happening in other sois and sub-sois. Dedicated 'Expat' nightlife of the naughty kind is becoming more and more a fringe thing in Bangkok. Possibly for the better, maybe I should grow up. :)

With the closing of the Night Bazaar, the Suk could take over that kind of shopping and night life, but only if it was cleaned up.  The restaurants are already there.  And while the vendors make walking difficult, if the more adult and criminal aspects were cleaned up and pushed elsewhere, I think there would be a significant increase in a more eclectic tourist and Thai customer base on the strip.

There are plenty of places for these "eclectic tourist" types. Let that rubbish go to Kao San and Silom.

A miffed colino.

Surely this area has become a real horror stretch especially when after midnight, so this are is off the map.

Soi 7/1 just makes it, but the Beat club just about had it, is times over us as well at the good ol' Thermae which now only caters for the Japs with their classical school girls (read pro's) line ups.

So where else??? :)

Pattaya? :D

Absolutely right eek. You are a sensible woman indeed. :)