Fricken Fitness Clubs In Thailand (long)

wormdrive

• 2 weeks later...

i stay in bangkok for a few days coming and going to my places in phuket. in phuket their are gyms, bodybuilding style as i am from los angeles so i am familar with gyms for the last 25 years, they are excellent. bangkok, it was only the hotel gyms i have worked out at so far, but will be a full time farang here shortly so everyone's feedback is great. if the G word is not working out, try going the bodybuilding route, i am sure you will find a gym that is all about pumping iron, and just may have you appreciating those less stinky commercial style gyms more than you think, Go for it as it sounds like you need to relieve some stress their wormy

Yes. I am always fully stressed... So, I'm always looking for ways to to lower it. Ya, I know that Thailand is THE place to do it if ever there were a place (abundence of willing girls) - I haven't found a gym in Bangkok that would be similar to a place like GOLDs gym in the States. A dedicated BB gym that is bigger than 25sqm is hard to find in the city.

I know that expat places like Pattaya, Phuket, and even Hua Hin have some nice BB gyms without the Glam and Hype - but here in the city.. you got me?

If you do find a place let us know!

There's a little no nonsense gym in Suk soi 1 (NOT the hi so discotheque

type one by bumrungrad) :o but nearer the klong, left side of the soi. Harmony it's called. Free weights and most of the gadgets, 200 baht to drop in and monthly rates. It's alright.

Try any Clark Hatch Fitness Center..

No pushy sales, good well-mainted equipment. Mix of Thais and Westerners.. No tours. Pool...

All good - for me anyways..

ChrisP

PS "California Fitness" does NOT exist in California (anywhere) btw. It's just a cool-sounding marketing ploy...

PS "California Fitness" does NOT exist in California (anywhere) btw. It's just a cool-sounding marketing ploy...
I believe 'California Fitness" is part of the "24-hour Fitness' chain which is indeed based in California.

Best workout for your money is a jog around Lumphini Park (free) followed by some free weights in either of their 2 open-air weight yards (20 baht).

to the OP, if you are planning on living in Thailand for any length of time, I think you had better get used to (or tolerate) most of the cultural differences or quirks you mentioned or you will implode....

I work out at California wow (mostly Silom and Sukhumvit branches..but sometimes at Pinklao on days off) and like it alot...I understand that they will open a new branch at the Siam Paragon Center around the first half of next year too... (and one in Ratchayothin?).. its also very convenient cause the clubs are open until midnight...

after being a regular member for a few years (paying B1,200 a month), I bought the "Diamond" membership which cost me B48,000 for eight years (and then US$100 per year after that)...that works out to about US$12 a month for the first 8 years...Im already almost 2 years into that term and use the gym very reguarly, so its good value for me...

when I travel to San Francisco or other places in the States, I work out at "24 Hour Fitness" for free......I also travel regularly around Asia and actually use the branches in Singapore, Taipei and Hong Kong (havent tried the branches in Korea or Malaysia yet)....overall its great for me....

the only problem is that it gets VERY crowded at peak hours (around 5-7) in Bangkok, so I try to avoid the peak hours....I think there is a very high demand for fitness clubs in Bangkok now and more branches (or high quality competitors) would be the answer...