Avocados Wanted

DonaldBattles

Don't know what you call top money, At the Mauser markets on the Mae Sot road they are 100 Baht for 3kg right now and not like the piddly little ones you get in Tescos, big and absolutely delicious.

Can you tell me where the Mauser markets are. Is this in Chiang Mai or Mae Sot.

Many thanks for you help.

Don Battles

Don, you probably have this info already but I'll put it out there just in case you don't and just in case others can use the info.

There is a large market on the superhighway, heading out of town towards Chiang Mai. The locals that I know refer to it as "the truck market" because that is where truckloads of produce are unloaded, broken down into smaller lots and marketed for redistribution to the smaller stalls/shops in town. The market is located just past the last traffic light in town, on the left. This traffic light is after the Big C and is the one before the traffic light at the new bus station outside of town.

We go to that market often. They typically have the best prices in town but they normally only sell in larger lots. We buy the smallest of the large lots offered and share the cost with the extended family here. That saves us quite a bit of money on the grocery bills each month. If you visit there and do not see avocados, ask around. Someone will be able to tell you when they might be arriving. Many of the stall owners (brokers, in some cases) there seem to know what is coming and when it is due to arrive. If you are buying a large enough lot, they will probably divert a truckload and deliver it to you.

It has been a while since I have been there and I don't know if they have avocados today. Sorry about that. But if you visit there, you can also snag a few phone numbers that will allow you to make the inquiry via telephone in the future.

Edited by kandahar

I'm still tending to over 60 avo trees, and though they're still growing strong, all but a few aren't flowering yet.

In the meantime, I also like to know where it's possible to buy avos. Though am not looking for quantity, I'll take a look at that market mentioned earlier.

I'm still tending to over 60 avo trees, and though they're still growing strong, all but a few aren't flowering yet.

In the meantime, I also like to know where it's possible to buy avos. Though am not looking for quantity, I'll take a look at that market mentioned earlier.

The market known as the "morning market" by some and the "day market" by others has big avocados right now. The market is listed as the "morning market" on the pinned Google map.

Don, I see in some of the older threads in the CR forum concerning avocados, someone has offered their crop to you. Maybe if you PM the person/persons that had those crops available in the past, you can find a good supply to get you through.

Avocado are budding flowers now at my cousin place in Mae Chan. Fruits will be harvested around September. They are sold at around 30 baht per kilo.

At Villa Market, Sukumvit Road, imported avocado costs 105 bt. a bulb.

Edited by Asa

Don,

If you come out of the Am Consulate in CM, go across the street, go left a bit passed the fire station, and there is a fruit and veggie market there that i have bought from. Seasonal, i think.

Many thanks for the information. I will check in CM. It is pretty early in the season. I ran out of stock early this year and customers are unhappy.

Best wishes.

Don

Don, you probably have this info already but I'll put it out there just in case you don't and just in case others can use the info.

There is a large market on the superhighway, heading out of town towards Chiang Mai. The locals that I know refer to it as "the truck market" because that is where truckloads of produce are unloaded, broken down into smaller lots and marketed for redistribution to the smaller stalls/shops in town. The market is located just past the last traffic light in town, on the left. This traffic light is after the Big C and is the one before the traffic light at the new bus station outside of town.

We go to that market often. They typically have the best prices in town but they normally only sell in larger lots. We buy the smallest of the large lots offered and share the cost with the extended family here. That saves us quite a bit of money on the grocery bills each month. If you visit there and do not see avocados, ask around. Someone will be able to tell you when they might be arriving. Many of the stall owners (brokers, in some cases) there seem to know what is coming and when it is due to arrive. If you are buying a large enough lot, they will probably divert a truckload and deliver it to you.

It has been a while since I have been there and I don't know if they have avocados today. Sorry about that. But if you visit there, you can also snag a few phone numbers that will allow you to make the inquiry via telephone in the future.

My wife and I shop there on a regular basis, more so when we're in the area passing through. The produce for sale has generally always been excellent :)

Don, like I said before, the Day Market (Morning Market) has avocados. This is the big market located, more or less, behind Overbrook Hospital. I just went to see to the dude. He has some on display right now, dark and large. I don't speak Thai, he doesn't speak English, but I understand he has approximately two bushel on hand right now. He didn't have that many in the stall but says he can bring them in. His name is pronounced "sue cone". I'm sure the Thai spelling isn't that but maybe Sukon or something like that. His phone number is 087-8224583. He gave me his business card. I would guess if he got those avocados, he can get more.

His shop is not in the front row where you can see what he has from a vehicle. You have to walk the second row, close to the buildings. His is one of the last in that back row.

Before you bother with driving in, give him a call. He had customers while I was there.

Edited by kandahar

• 3 months later...