Warning! Caltex Gas Station On Mae Jo Road

elektrified

I went to the Caltex station on Mae Jo Road today (on the left-hand side as you approach Meechok Plaza). I ordered 500 Baht of gas and I saw the girl put the nozzle in the tank and enter something in the computer. Being that I have been there approximately 50 times over the last 2 years I didn't pay much attention after that. The girl cleaned my windshield, collected the money and gave me a wai. I started the engine, pulling out slowly, watching the gauge. As I approached the driveway I saw that the gas gauge never moved. It was pinned on "E". I was about 1/2 way out of the driveway and backed back in, turned around and drove up to the pump I had just purchased 500 Baht of gas 90 seconds before. The girl was already gone!! I don't know if her shift had ended or she went on a break or what. I asked for the manager and told him what happened. He and all the employees came to look at the gauge. He asked for a receipt but I had paid in cash and was out of luck!

I'm sure that I've been cheated for a few Baht here and there in Thailand over the last 20 years but that is the first time I've out and out robbed like that! I'll never go there again. If you buy gas there, watch out!

have you checked your meter so it works properly before you accuse anybody because it can happen fuse or it hangs.

The meter works perfectly. When I went to the next gas station to buy the gas again!, it went right to the 1/2 tank position like it always does when I put about 500 Baht in there.

And I am very careful before I accuse anyone of being a kamoy in Thailand. In fact, this is the first such accusation I have made in 20 years of coming here.

Edited by elektrified

I have heard from Thai's about a Thai man who bought fuel near Chiang Mai, after pulling out from the servo noticed in the mirror that some plastic was hanging out from the fuel cap cover. He stopped to see what it was and found a plastic bag containing what he thought may be Yaa Baa. He threw it away and continued then was stopped by the BIB, they searched the car for along time, got on the phone a couple times scratched there heads and let him go.

This is 3rd hand hear say so I don't know if it is true, but I think getting off your back side and watching them fill your car is the safest way to go.

Another thing I hate is them sticking there stupid signs on the bonnet, the place I usually go to have learnt that I don't like it

I know an old trick was not resetting the gauge so that they get paid twice for some of the fuel. I always glance across to check whether they reset the gauge. The shell garage along kaew nawarat road seems to give short measures as well. Not confident in the quality either as my pick up exhausts more black smoke than normal after a visit there. Haven't been for a long time though.

It's a sad day when you have to check everything but I always get out of my car, lean down, pop the flap on the gas tank tell them what I want 'say 91 normal' and then look to see that the meter has been zeroed.

My GF went into the Petronas on Kotchasan and was short changed 20 baht. The guy refused to give her the correct change.

That Petronas outlet was notorious for their shortchanging and not zeroing the meter leaving the previous sale on and then charging you for the previous sale plus your own purchase.

So I went in and told the girl behind the counter (a week or 10 days after the GF was short changed so that they would not be able to identify her) I asked for the manager, and the girl asked "why" I said I want to speak to her and the alternative was that she give me Petronas head office telephone number in Bangkok.

The manager, very attractive (even got her fone number) came out and I related the story to her and told her that she had a couple of options (a) that she got all the forecourt staff as they came on their respective shifts and to address them and tell them it would be instant dismissal if there was a repeat reported, or (:) I could telephone her manager in Bangkok and lay a formal complaint, or © I would splash it on the web.

I got the impression that she took my comments seriously and let it go at that. I have not heard of any recent negative comments about this gas station. This was well over a year ago. OK I have still identified the place now on TV but any new (and positive) feed back would be to the benefit of all both TV members and Petronas.

I have heard from Thai's about a Thai man who bought fuel near Chiang Mai, after pulling out from the servo noticed in the mirror that some plastic was hanging out from the fuel cap cover. He stopped to see what it was and found a plastic bag containing what he thought may be Yaa Baa. He threw it away and continued then was stopped by the BIB, they searched the car for along time, got on the phone a couple times scratched there heads and let him go.

This is 3rd hand hear say so I don't know if it is true, but I think getting off your back side and watching them fill your car is the safest way to go.

Another thing I hate is them sticking there stupid signs on the bonnet, the place I usually go to have learnt that I don't like it

I always get out and watch them fill er up AND make sure that they put the filler cap back on.

Ya gotta remember that the majority of the forecourt staff are non the sharpest chisel (s) in the shed "apart that is for their propensity to short change or over charge you"

One thing about every gas place here is that all of it are covered with CCTV, more for their own peace of mind.

You could have had them rewind the last 5 minutes you were there.

I always let my tank dry out and I say fill me up. If the you play any tricks it will be too obvious as the tanks is standard 55Litres. multiply that by the days gas price.

I use the Caltex on Mae Jo Road almost exclusively (they accept American Express). I've never had a problem there and am a bit surprised by the accusation. If it is true, I would say that it is not typical for this location. I've also been ripped off at a different gas station in Chiang Mai so regardless of where it is, it's always a good thing to double check.

I don't get the part with the receipt..so no receipt says you are accusing them so its your word against their word? What happend that the customer is right or why couldn't they find athe server who is hiding in the bathroom waiting for the gullible customer to disappear.. Unfortuantely, probably a systematic scam where most of the staff is on the game...

I would guess in Thailand 90% pay with cash so the servers can sure take advantage of the situation especially some foreiner driving up in a SUV...Probably Thais are well aware of the station cheaters so they closely watch the meyter as they do with a restaurant bill...

This is Thailand so native and gullible people (I think another word would be suckers) are taken to the cleaners...

CB

i always leave the ignition on (motor off) to watch the fuel gauge go up, as well as do the visual glance on the fuel pump to see if if its reset when ever i fill up, habit now

Edited by Donnyboy

I use the Caltex on Mae Jo Road almost exclusively (they accept American Express). I've never had a problem there and am a bit surprised by the accusation. If it is true, I would say that it is not typical for this location. I've also been ripped off at a different gas station in Chiang Mai so regardless of where it is, it's always a good thing to double check.

Like I said above, I've been going there for 2 years now, maybe 50 times, and never had a problem. I also like the fact that they accept American Express. It is clear what happened today. As soon as the girl pocket the 500 Baht, she was out of there - no more than 90 seconds after I paid, she was gone!

Maybe she was even staff? How can any level of mgt be accountable for that behavior unless of course they are part of the scam amd let it happen..

Where did she go? I would doubt pump workers get a long break during their shift for her to completely disappear. How can management not be in control of their staff unless of course it is a common practice like a perk?

CB

Im an Australian, we fill our own vehicles up. I get out and tell em to pisse off and I do it myself. I get many smiles when I do it. If theres one thing thats annoying is getting ripped off like this then another thing that pisses me right off is when they bump your car with the nozzel as they're putting it in or out...... Once a guy did that right in front of me and I said to him, "If I put a bit of hair around that hole youd get it straight in, now fekkoff and let me do it."

That was the last time anyone ever filled up my car. :)

Im an Australian, we fill our own vehicles up. I get out and tell em to pisse off and I do it myself. I get many smiles when I do it. If theres one thing thats annoying is getting ripped off like this then another thing that pisses me right off is when they bump your car with the nozzel as they're putting it in or out...... Once a guy did that right in front of me and I said to him, "If I put a bit of hair around that hole youd get it straight in, now fekkoff and let me do it."

You get to give the hose a shake when you are finished too cobba.

Edited by garyh

I like your style :D

OK in the majority of 1st world (read developed) countries yes ya gotta fill yer own tank up else you might be waiting one helluva long time.

But's it the same where you don't have all these drongo's blowing their effin whistle when you are parking your car.

But I guess that at the end of the day if your a native of a 5th world country (AKA Thailand) and there is no social security, no unemployment these people have got to be fitted into the system somehow.

The supermarket I generally go to had this very pregnant checkout operater (who as her day got closer became more beautiful by the hour) Anyways she's dropped it, taken it home and is gonna be back on the job in a couple of weeks.

My GF couldn't believe that where I come from her salary would continue for 3 (or 6, I haven't been pregnant for a while) months and that they have to hold your position for you when you are ready to return to work "up to one year later if needs be"

It comes down to being like a lottery "you are either lucky enough to be born in a country that has social security etc., or you can be born somewhere like Rwanda "or Thailand"

have you checked your meter so it works properly before you accuse anybody because it can happen fuse or it hangs.

The meter works perfectly. When I went to the next gas station to buy the gas again!, it went right to the 1/2 tank position like it always does when I put about 500 Baht in there.

And I am very careful before I accuse anyone of being a kamoy in Thailand. In fact, this is the first such accusation I have made in 20 years of coming here.

500bt gives you 1/2 tank. What are you drivng a lawn mower?

The supermarket I generally go to had this very pregnant checkout operater (who as her day got closer became more beautiful by the hour) Anyways she's dropped it, taken it home and is gonna be back on the job in a couple of weeks.

My GF couldn't believe that where I come from her salary would continue for 3 (or 6, I haven't been pregnant for a while) months and that they have to hold your position for you when you are ready to return to work "up to one year later if needs be"

It is pretty much the same here. Women who have babies get paid for a few months anyway. :)

Would be a big lawn mower.

Yes 500 Baht of 95 Gasohol gives me 1/2 a tank in a Honda City.