Visa To The Us - Can't Get An Appointment

Hi All,

I am quite frustrated right now.... Even after trying at least a 100 times... I still can't get a VISA appointment to the US embassy in Bangkok....

My wife and I are planning to go on a two-week holiday to the US this summer. My wife needs a visa to the US and, as we have 3-4 months before going on the trip, I felt it was the right time to apply for a visa for her.

I went on the US embassy website for Bangkok, read online what is needed to be done to get a US visa and things look pretty straight forward and feasible. Everything is spelled out very clearly and it sounded like it should not be a big problem to gather the information needed.

The next thing I had to do is buying a PIN number (which I did) and then use it to get access to their "appointment" system.....

The problem starts when, after filling in all the necessary fields online, you try to find a day for an appointment .... and that it turns out that all days are "UNAVAILABLE" or "BUSY" until 2012....

I tried to contact the US embassy but received the general "please try again later" kind of answers or the "we will add more appointment possibilities at a later date". After 100 tries throughout this week I am wondering if something is actually wrong or is it just me.

Has anybody had the same problem before? When is the good time to "try" to get an appointment on the online system?

Am I missing something?

A big thank you to anyone who can help us!

GJ

I have to renew my passport soon. Went to their BKK website, which must interface with the one in the US. Clicked on what I needed, and appointment days available showed up on a calendar. Maybe it's because your needs involve more than mine... but there certainly are times available, starting in about a week or so.

I used the google.co.th search, Thai hits only, for US embassy.

Keep at it, good luck.

This "problem" came up a week or two ago on this TV forum, search around for it. The suggested solution, which worked, BTW, was to go back on line LATE in the evening, perhaps really late. No idea why that worked but the OP said instead of 2012 he got an appointment two weeks hence, I think it was.

Mac

Below the wait time per the U.S. Embassy's www site, have heart! Just stay up late....

Mac

Visa Wait Times Bangkok

Typical Wait Time (Calendar Days*) for a Nonimmigrant Visa Interview Appointment

Visitors Visas: 12 Days

Student/Exchange Visitors Visas: 5 Days

All Other Nonimmigrant Visas*** (Excludes: A, G, K, and V): 5 Days

Typical Wait Time (Workdays**) for a Nonimmigrant Visa To Be Processed****: 4 Days

*Calendar days refer to every day of the week, including days when embassies are closed (such as weekends and holidays).

**Work days refer only to days when the embassy is open and does not include weekends and holidays.

*** The All Other Nonimmigrant Visa wait time DOES NOT include K or V visa applications, which are processed similar to immigrant visas. A and G applications are excluded from these wait times, as they are processed separately.

****IMPORTANT NOTE: Processing wait time DOES NOT include the time required for administrative processing. These procedures require additional time. Most administrative processing is resolved within 60 days of application. When administrative processing is required, the timing will vary based on individual circumstances of each case. Therefore, before making inquiries about status of administrative processing, applicants or their representatives will need to wait at least 90 days from the date of interview or submission of supplemental documents, whichever is later. Processing wait time also does not include the time required to return the passport to applicants, by either courier services or the local mail system.

March 23, 2010

It is my opinion that the embassy does a pretty decent job in areas OTHER than the Consular Section. That section needs a serious overhaul and probably some people replaced. That section is inept and rude. They have no idea that they are public servants and thus are expected to cooperate with US citizens who have Thai wives.

'buying a pin number".... what is that about?

do we need to BUY a number to access our embassy in bkk....?

went there numerous times.... mostly monthly....

making appt on line always....

but never seeing any mssg about buying a pin number....!

W O W ....

W O W ....

A bit off topic, but the PIN # is for VISAs, NOT for the ACS, American Ciitizen Services section. An appointment may be helpful if there's a hoard of walk-in when you happen to go, folks with appointments don't have to Q up.

Mac

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acsappointment.html

HOW TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT

In order to serve you better, the American Citizen Services section uses an appointment system for all non-emergency services to include notarials, passport services, and registering a child as an American citizen (Consular Report of Birth Abroad.) We will continue to provide emergency services on an as needed basis. Please note: We do not allow walk-in customers to register a child as an American citizen. You must have an appointment for this service.

Appointments can be made online by clicking here. PLEASE NOTE: We are not able to book appointments over the phone. You must use the online system to schedule an appointment with American Citizen Services.

If you have an appointment, when you arrive at our waiting room, there is no need to take a number, just check-in at Window A and give our staff a copy of your appointment confirmation printout. We continue to accept walk-ins for all services except registering a child as an American citizen, but give priority to those who made appointments online.

The purpose of the appointment system is to cut wait times for services and allow us to provide you with better service as demand for our services continues to grow.

W O W ....

A bit off topic, but the PIN # is for VISAs, NOT for the ACS, American Ciitizen Services section. An appointment may be helpful if there's a hoard of walk-in when you happen to go, folks with appointments don't have to Q up.

Mac

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acsappointment.html

HOW TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT

In order to serve you better, the American Citizen Services section uses an appointment system for all non-emergency services to include notarials, passport services, and registering a child as an American citizen (Consular Report of Birth Abroad.) We will continue to provide emergency services on an as needed basis. Please note: We do not allow walk-in customers to register a child as an American citizen. You must have an appointment for this service.

Appointments can be made online by clicking here. PLEASE NOTE: We are not able to book appointments over the phone. You must use the online system to schedule an appointment with American Citizen Services.

If you have an appointment, when you arrive at our waiting room, there is no need to take a number, just check-in at Window A and give our staff a copy of your appointment confirmation printout. We continue to accept walk-ins for all services except registering a child as an American citizen, but give priority to those who made appointments online.

The purpose of the appointment system is to cut wait times for services and allow us to provide you with better service as demand for our services continues to grow.

thx much for verifying.... am beginning to develop cold sweat.... reading about pin in conjunction with our embassy services....

that kind of things happens in some locations involving chinese embassy.... :)

W H E W....

A few years ago, I was able to go to the embassy and actually was able to talk to and get information from competent embassy employees. The last time I went, I was NOT able to talk to anyone. I was told that I would have to buy a PIN online to be able to talk to someone who could help me. I live more than 600 kilometers from Bangkok so it's not like walking across the street.

I went back home and paid $20 online for a PIN. I made my call and the guy I talked to didn't know his ass from his elbow. I was informed that since I had paid for a PIN I could make an appointment. Trying to explain that I needed information before making an appointment was like talking to a rock.

I have been criticized for posting about the deficiencies that exist at the US Embassy but since the service does stink, it is the truth. My last two emails to them were NOT answered, not even the computer generated canned answers that I used to get.

A few years ago, I was able to go to the embassy and actually was able to talk to and get information from competent embassy employees. The last time I went, I was NOT able to talk to anyone. I was told that I would have to buy a PIN online to be able to talk to someone who could help me. I live more than 600 kilometers from Bangkok so it's not like walking across the street.

I went back home and paid $20 online for a PIN. I made my call and the guy I talked to didn't know his ass from his elbow. I was informed that since I had paid for a PIN I could make an appointment. Trying to explain that I needed information before making an appointment was like talking to a rock.

I have been criticized for posting about the deficiencies that exist at the US Embassy but since the service does stink, it is the truth. My last two emails to them were NOT answered, not even the computer generated canned answers that I used to get.

i do not work for the embassy.... but during last few months, there were or there were not serveal complaints on u.s. govt charging her citizen right and left and all over....?

after having read her website.... i somehow concluded that the only way to get some important written doc is thru making appointment thru her online service, with the exception of emergency then one is directed to call citizen services or something like that....

i have been in and out of wireless road more than 15 times during the last 12 months or so.... always making appt thru online service.... and was never encountering any difficulty....

suddenly there were several individuals complaining....

well, i'll be visiting wireless road office again in a few short weeks.... and i shall have first hand experience to post then.... :)

Edited by nakachalet

Keep trying.

People cancel or reschedule their appointments all the time. Something is bound to open up.

--------------------------------------------------------

Well I guess I am not the only one having difficulties

trying to get an appointment for a Thai

for Tourist Visa to USA...

Have purchased the PIN...

have been trying for two days...

at all hours of day and evening...

with NO appointments available all year long!

What a mess!!!

tj

Keep trying.

People cancel or reschedule their appointments all the time. Something is bound to open up.

--------------------------------------------------------

Well I guess I am not the only one having difficulties

trying to get an appointment for a Thai

for Tourist Visa to USA...

Have purchased the PIN...

have been trying for two days...

at all hours of day and evening...

with NO appointments available all year long!

What a mess!!!

tj

Like others have stated keep trying, especially after midnight when they update their calendar. When we made my wifes appointment back in January there was only one day open between Jan. 14th to the end of the month. We locked in on that day (Jan. 25th). The whole month of February was open though and then it seemed like all of a sudden the :) Have no clue what is going on, but again keep trying and good luck.

Here is a reply received from the Visa Appointment website..

NO luck...looks like Thais wanting to visit USA are to stay home!

...and with the US economy hurting...and it is hurting BIG TIME...

with service industry unemployment high..hotel vacancies high...

all tourist dollars..including from Thais should be WELCOMED!

I will try calling the US Embassy Warden for Pattaya/Chonburi today ...

and see if he has any helpful tips...will let you know what I find out.

Please note that the appointment website is showing NO available appointments///

for ALL OF 2010...

NOT ONE appointment..in any month this year

unbelievable!

tj

Dear [email protected],

Thank you for using the Visa Information Service.

We apologize for any difficulties you may have experienced.

There is currently a high demand for visa interview appointments.

Appointment availability changes regularly as applicants schedule

and cancel appointments.

In addition, appointments will become available as the U.S. Embassy

and the U.S. Consulate General continue to add more appointments

for the future. Please check the site again.

Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

The Visa Information Service Team

Edited by travelerjim

Today...11:00am ..Monday

I tried to call the US Embassy Warden for Pattaya...

Gary Hacker...089 803 0388...as posted on Expat web pages)

no answer..."call back service"...no call back yet.

Today...1:30pm..Monday

Called the US Embassy BKK...02 205 4049...

Daytime Emergency Line for American Citizen Services...

Nice Thai answered the phone...chatted with me in good English,

sympathetic...but all she could say is " get an appointment

on the website appointment service"...

THEN e-mail the US Embassy BKK

requesting "expedited appointment"....

The Thai lady said "keep trying" then e-mail us.

CATCH 22!! YOU MUST have an appointment first ..

to be able to request an "expedited" appointment.

So...still trying and trying to get appointment date..

on website...no luck yet as of 4:00pm Monday afternoon.

tj

Edited by travelerjim

tj

You tried at midnight, 0100-0300 hrs, something like that? The poster a couple of weeks ago broke through the queue that way, said there were lots of open dates. It's the computer that's screwed up!

Mac

tj

You tried at midnight, 0100-0300 hrs, something like that? The poster a couple of weeks ago broke through the queue that way, said there were lots of open dates. It's the computer that's screwed up!

Mac

I am still on the same boat as Travelerjim, I tried at 1AM, 2AM, even last night at 3.30AM.... I tried all day long, still full. It's my second week trying many times a day.....

I have never seen such a mess, this is ridiculous. How about just putting us on queue and then giving us ANY appointment available (up for grab), that would make more sense...

Disappointed...

GJ

Mac

Thanks Mac...appreciate your suggestions...

I tried the website both Saturday and Sunday nights...

during early 12am hours too...no luck...

will try again tonight, Monday..

Not sure if they work computers over weekends...

like banks in USA ....

or if time zones are here in Thailand or back in USA...

I will try, try and try more..

tj

An American with a Thai wife should receive better treatment then a Thai wanting to go to the US for whatever reason. Unfortunately it appears that we receive the same treatment as a Thai bar girl. Face the facts. The embassy is NOT doing their job. My Thai wife and I have a home here and have no desire to live in the US. My folks are elderly and I would like to be able to go to the US in case of an emergency that will eventually certainly come. Why do I have to jump many hoops to be able to do that?

tj

Mac

I am still on the same boat as Travelerjim, I tried at 1AM, 2AM, even last night at 3.30AM.... I tried all day long, still full. It's my second week trying many times a day.....

I have never seen such a mess, this is ridiculous. How about just putting us on queue and then giving us ANY appointment available (up for grab), that would make more sense...

Disappointed...

GJ

NO LUCK...Tried to get a Thai visa appointment at Monday midnight..

and Tuesday 12:30am..1:30am...and again at 3:30am, 4:30am and 6:00am...

and just now at 7:00am...

I wonder if the US Embassy is truly aware they have a problem ???

or, if budgetary limitations is not allowing for additional staffing.

I am surprised...as all prior contacts I have had with US Embassy

have always been most efficient and professional...as well as considerate.

Hoping for the best...

tj

Edited by travelerjim

tj

Mac

Disappointed...

GJ

NO LUCK...Tried to get a Thai visa appointment at Monday midnight..

and Tuesday 12:30am..1:30am...and again at 3:30am, 4:30am and 6:00am...

and just now at 7:00am...

I wonder if the US Embassy is truly aware they have a problem ???

or, if budgetary limitations is not allowing for additional staffing.

I am surprised...as all prior contacts I have had with US Embassy

have always been most efficient and professional...as well as considerate.

Hoping for the best...

tj

THANK YOU US EMBASSY BANGKOK!

Yesterday evening, Monday at 6:00pm, I e-mailed the US Embassy in Bangkok,

explaining the need for an expedited appointment, and asked for their kind help.

E-mail address: [email protected]

I explained in detail the emergency reasons for the request..

and the fact that the Thai had prior issue of an US Tourist Visa a year ago...

and briefly detailed the Thais background...(they already had this from prior US Visa)

along with copy of the VisaPoint application page for the Thai...

and that an appointment, after many days of trying, could not be obtained on the website...

and therefore...requested an expedited appointment.

At 7:42am Tuesday morning..today...

I received an e-mail reply from the US Embassy Bangkok..

expressing their condolences and asked me to inform the Thai

that an Expedited Appointment has been set for....(early morning ...later this week).

ThaiVisa friends....I hope that by my sharing this information on this forum,

others with emergency needs for an expedited appointment may be helped.

Thank You US Embassy Bangkok! ...

and to fellow ThaiVisa forum members who offered suggestions...

Much appreciated!!

tj

Edited by travelerjim

tj

explaining the need for an expedited appointment, and asked for their kind help.

and briefly detailed the Thais background...(they already had this from prior US Visa)

and that an appointment, after many days of trying, could not be obtained on the website...

that an Expedited Appointment has been set for....(early morning ...later this week).

Much appreciated!!

tj

TJ

It's a shame that you had to go through such gyrations to get an appointment when the SYSTEM is supposed to handle that, hopefully with a degree of efficiency.

How about you include a short note, a really calm not, the Cons Section, about the problems you and others have had getting an appointment. I sure can't believe that they're all booked up through the end of the year. Heavily book, possibly to probably, because the summer season is coming on and lots of Thai want to head east.

If you do the note, it only should be handed over AFTER the ConOff says the visa has been approved.

Mac

tj

Much appreciated!!

tj

I had the same problem and finally got somebody to acknowledge the problem. The issue is (which the website doesn't note) is that although it seems as though there are no appointments available for infinity, it's actually the case that they don't schedule appointments more than a few weeks in advance, so clicking ahead a few months is pointless.

If allowed ?....I know it would be an extra expense but....Have you tries the Chiang Mai Embassy appointment service?

Not sure if it is even allowed if you like in BKK or if they are just as booked but...

Maybe worth a try...When I did my wifes pin/appointment in 2007 it was pick any day as all were pretty open.

Edited by flying

This is the reply I got when I was having issues getting an appointment last year. After many failed attempts an email was sent to the visa services and phone calls were made. As already stated in another post the visa section only opens up appointment dates 2 or 3 weeks ahead. If you try any later months they will all be blocked out as they have not been opened in the system yet

> Dear Applicant,

> Thank you for using the Visa Information Service.

> We apologize for any

> difficulties you may have experienced.

> There is currently a high demand for

> visa interview appointments.

> Appointment availability changes

> regularly as applicants schedule and

> cancel appointments. In addition,

> appointments will become available as

> the U.S. Embassy and the U.S. Consulate General continue to add more

> appointments for the future. Please check the site again.

> Once again, we apologize for any

> inconvenience.

> Thank you,

> The Visa Information Service Team

If allowed ?....I know it would be an extra expense but....Have you tries the Chiang Mai Embassy appointment service?

Not sure if it is even allowed if you like in BKK or if they are just as booked but...

Maybe worth a try...When I did my wifes pin/appointment in 2007 it was pick any day as all were pretty open.

Chiang Mai does not I repeat NOT have a US Embassy but they do have a US Consulate and yes give them a try.

The purchasing of a PIN issue mentioned above is only part of the process if a Thai is trying to apply for a visa of some sort to the U.S. It's doesn't pertain or apply to Americans wanting to do some transaction at the Consular Services section.

The PIN deal, however, is IMHO just another way to tack on added fees as part of the VISA application process. Of course, the PIN fee is non-refundable, as is the 3,000+ baht application fee for tourist visas...no matter what the outcome of the application.

Given that the Consular Services staff seem to deny most of the Thai tourist visa applicants they receive, I'd imagine they're making quite a tidy sum each year just for saying NO...and NO and NO and NO!

I'd be curious to know if they've ever publicly reported what their approval/denial ratio is for any kind of Thai visa applications here in Bangkok....

Much appreciated!!

tj

Congratulations! You are lucky, good for you!

I am still stuck with my "auto-reload feature from Chrome" on the VISA Appointment page hoping for a "green" day (or so called available days) to appear ..... I'm surprised I don't get a "Please hold on to your keyboard, your money is important to us, you are the next in line...... NOOOT"

I will try the [email protected] and see if I get lucky as well!

Thanks

GJ

I definitely feel like the lucky one. I purchased a PIN number on Feb 19th and had no trouble making an appointment for March 19th. I did notice when we went down that the waiting room for visa appoints was full. There must have been over 50 people in there and everyone must have paid for a PIN number PLUS the visa cost (was 4454 baht for my wife) which you must pay before the interview. The American Embassy is getting rich and they want to raise their prices. What a crock!!

Edited by Rdrokit