Thai Drivers License. Motorcycle And Auto

uncletom

Have not done it in a long time, but I feel the need to renew drivers licenses for motorcycle and automobiles.

Nowadays what kind of medical check do you need to get for getting Thai drivers licenses? Hospital nine yards body check or a clinic and basic tests?

Also how much baht does an affidavit of residence cost from the US Embassy or Consulate?

thank you

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Renewing my temporary 1-year Thai driving licence:

Tuesday 22nd December 2009

This is my experience at the Pattaya licencing centre but it is possible (definite) that rules may differ in other provinces.

According to a number of web boards the only way to get a 5 year driving permit is to let the old licence expire first which I found to be correct as my 1-year temporary licence to drive a car expired on the 16th December 2009.

How to obtain a driver's license that’s valid for five years:

• Go early (08.30hrs) to avoid the early morning scramble and expect to be there a minimum of two hours assuming you don’t have to undergo any tests which I didn’t.

• There is a desk at the entrance to the building that deals with licences, pick up a form from there, complete the form which is in Thai/English except for one question which is 100% Thai and my misses got wrong then join the queue.

• Before I was given an application form I was asked what sort of visa did I hold which is an O-visa (Retirement)

• Hand over the completed form and documents to the person behind the application desk and if everything is in order will hand back the documents with a queue number and tell you to go upstairs and wait for your number to be called.

• When your number is called or shown on the screen hand over your stack of documents at the desk, together with your passport. After this final check you will be asked to pay the 505 baht fee (5 years validity @ 100 baht plus 5 baht for the "paper"), for which you will get a receipt.

• Take a seat and wait for your name to be called.

• You will then be issued with your new licence.

• Check the details on your new licence before you leave the building.

Documents required.

• Your expired 1-year temporary car driving licence.

• Residence certificate which verifies your address in Thailand which was obtained from Pattaya immigration (cost 200 baht) and ready the following day (Do not sign)

• Medical certificate to verify your still breathing (cost150 baht, do not sign)

• Photo-copy of the main page in your passport (signed)

• Photo-copy of your visa page (signed)

• Photo-copy of your last entry into Thailand stamp (signed)

Note:

• Immigration Bureau and medical certificate must not be older than 30 days

• If applying for both car and motorbike licences then two of everything will be requested.

• No photographs are required as they are taken at the application/payment desk upstairs.

• The licence expiry date is not just 5 years from your application date but longer: it will be dated to expire 5-years from your next birthday which in my case is (July 2010) which gave me an additional 7 months making the licence valid for five years and seven months.

• From entering the building it took all of 2½ hours to obtain my new 5-year licence.

Hope this info help.

Obtaining a residence certificate at Pattaya immigration.

Certificate applied for: Wednesday 16th December 2009

1) Passport

2) A completed residence certificate form.

3) A bill or something that links you to your address.

4) A signed photo-copy of the main page in your passport

5) A signed photo-copy of your TM card.

6) A signed photo-copy of your last entry into Thailand stamp

7) A signed photo-copy of your current O visa.

8) Two 6x4 photographs

Thank you Curt1591 and Nam-Thip. Actually it has been many years since I carried a Thai drivers license and the expired one is long gone. As for my country's one, this was many many years ago and I do not have that one either. Can the Thai licensing place/DMV look into the computer for my name from the many years back in Bangkok when I had it? If not hopefuly

I will not have to take the tests all over again like before.

Also, sounds cheaper and easier just going to the Thai immigration to get an affidavit of residence from them than paying the US consulate 1000 baht.

I will get both licesnses but from what I have read from the US consulate is that all I have to do is copy the affidavit of residence and sign it when submitting for both licesnses with the original, thus saving the extra money for two.

thanks guys

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

If replacing 1 year licences (to the 5 year versions) for both motorcycle and car, do you need 2 original certifcates of residence and 2 original medical reports or can you just get one of each and copy them? Bearing in mind the residence certificate has a photo attached.

Thanks

TCA

If replacing 1 year licences (to the 5 year versions) for both motorcycle and car, do you need 2 original certifcates of residence and 2 original medical reports or can you just get one of each and copy them? Bearing in mind the residence certificate has a photo attached.

Thanks

TCA

In CM I had one of each and a photocopy

Obtaining a residence certificate at Pattaya immigration.

Certificate applied for: Wednesday 16th December 2009

1) Passport

2) A completed residence certificate form.

3) A bill or something that links you to your address.

4) A signed photo-copy of the main page in your passport

5) A signed photo-copy of your TM card.

6) A signed photo-copy of your last entry into Thailand stamp

7) A signed photo-copy of your current O visa.

8) Two 6x4 photographs

may I know where can I make the transfer name for my sold motor car in bangkok...