School In Prawet For 3yr Old

corkman

Hi All,

I am soon to move to Prawet, in Bangkok. I am researching schools for my little girl who is 3yrs old. Once she is of age to start year 1 (5yrs old?) I will probably send her to an International school, but in the interim we are looking for a nice school in or near the Prawet area. I don't really know where to start - so at this stage we are just trying to put together a list of schools. My first instinct is to put her in an international school, but we would like to look at all the options and make an evaluation then. I have managed to find "St. George's School" online, and that looks very nice, but I am sure there are many other options, and until we see them for our selves we are ruling nothing out (or in for that matter).

So, if you could suggest (or better again recommend) any schools, then it would be much appriated. Her Mommy is Thai and has been living in the West (farang land) for many years and speaks excellent English, and we speak English at home too.

Many thanks in advance!

Her Mommy is Thai and has been living in the West (farang land) for many years and speaks excellent English, and we speak English at home too.

Can't advice on Prawet but it seems that what your child would need to not feel like a fish out-of-water in Thailand is a bit of Asian culture :) Jokingly so don't take offence.

Regarding International or bilingual kindergartens / schools, IMO, I would not have my child doing All her education in schools that would give her an advantage today and 10 years forward and and put her at disadvantage in 20 years time. I am talking about that in 20 years time, Asia will be where the opportunities are and America and the EU will have struggled to stand still economically for way too long

I posted about it in this thread, lazy to write it all again - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Combine-Scho...ni-t313221.html - I think this is a good thread, there are clearly things not good with an Asian educational system but it would not be responsible to leave it totally out - our young kids today won't even start working until in 20 years time and will be half way through their working lives in 40 years time

Edited by MikeyIdea

I put my son in a Thai speaking only nursery when he was 2 years & 8 months & he spoke no Thai (he could understand some but spoken none) 3 months ago, I made sure the teachers could understand his basic needs, toilet, thirsty, hungry, hurt etc in English but wanted him immersed in Thai language all day, he is now speaking a few words, can do the wai & various polite greetings, thank you etc in Thai & understands about 60% more Thai than 3 months ago when Thai speakers talk to him. He is still bit shy to speak too much Thai & if I am there will automatically talk English but if you child doesn't speak Thai then I would recommend a year or so of "Thai" nursery to prepare her Thai language skills for when she goes to K1.

Michael,

I read your other thread and found it very thoughtful.

I would like suggest a writer who shares many of your opinions, Alfie Kohn. Sorry, I don't quite know how to post a link. I bet you'd find his analysis of education research very much in harmony with yours...and mine.

Hi

Pravet is my hometown :) so i can suggest some schools. Palina Kindergarten english program school is near Suan Luang. I visited this school last summer, it is a new school, very clean, small class size and has native teachers. The fee for K1-K3 is 43,000 baht plus lunch fee 4,500.

Also a bilingual school called Panaya School on Phattanakarn road. you can check at their website, but it seem i cant put URL on here.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies and input. So my list so far is:

- Palina Kindergarten

- Panaya School

- St. Georges School

Any other recommendations or suggestions?

I would basically like to get as many names together as possible so that I can arrange to view as many as possible over the next few weeks (notwithstanding Sonkran etc.).

Thai / bilingual school

Plengprasiddhi kindergarten

Watanasatitschool

International school list:

Talents International Pre-school

Pan-Asia International School

Charter International School

St. Mark's International School

Thanks for this additional information mamapaparose!

• 1 month later...