3 Strikes Your Out. Mai Sai Needs To See 10,000b

"you go back Burma!" the immigration lady was not happy.

I smiled and try to explain that nobody asked to see any money the last 2 times I used this border. I would have brought the cash if I knew it was inforced.

I think she only took notice because they were 1 after another for 3 months.

I got off by being nice I guess.

You have been warned. Again...

Not to exactly be saying, "We told you so"....however, we've been saying for months now that some people are being checked, especially if they're poorly dressed or poorly behaved. But at least one officer was quoted as saying they're after the every-month tourist who's obviously living long term in the country.

Is it that hard? We've determined it's not dangerous to walk around the border (in normal public places) with 10K or 20K. Seriously, if you're living in the country month after month, you should be able to scrape up the money. Can't blame them, now.

It's good you were nice to them. So, next month you'll be carrying 10K? Maybe even get a real visa? Good luck.

How were you dressed? I thought the figure was THB20,000. :o

20K is for a family chuchok. :D

TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION

- The applicant must possess instrument of means of living expenses 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

Source MFA.

Mr.StickyRice Posted on: 2004-06-29 17:19:16

I recently paid the 20,000Baht fine for almost 2 year visa overstay. I can give you some advice.

It's good you are at least doing the monthly runs now.

It seems no wonder why the lady in immigration pulled him in... :o

Yeah. I guess I have to drag the wifey to Penang and get the 1 year deal. Hate traveling with the "ball and chain"...

If you have a legal wife all you should need is the marriage certificate and a copy of her ID card at Penang. She can stay in Hat Yai and shop. :o

Mr.StickyRice Posted on: 2004-06-29 17:19:16

I recently paid the 20,000Baht fine for almost 2 year visa overstay. I can give you some advice.

It's good you are at least doing the monthly runs now.

If you carry the required "funds" ie 10000 or 20000 Baht is there a restriction on how many consecutive 30 days visas you can get. For instance stay 5 months and "border walk" 4 times. Anyone done this or know of pitfalls associated with doing this. I ask because should I choose to do this as a short term solution I will stay only 1 hour from a border crossing point.

:o