Critter Sounds At Night - Saraphi

whiterussian

cmsally... awesome! thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Greater Coucal or the Crow Pheasant (Centropus sinensis) is a non-parasitic member of the cuckoo order of birds, the Cuculiformes. It is a widespread resident in Asia, from India, east to south China and Indonesia. There are several subspecies with some treated as full species. It found in wide range of habitats from jungle to cultivation.

They are weak fliers that clamber in vegetation or walk on the ground searching for their food of insects, eggs and nestlings of other birds. They have a deep resonant call that makes it a bird that brings omen in many parts of its range.

250px-Greater_Coucal_(Centropus_sinensis)_in_Kolkata_I_IMG_3240.jpg

The calls are a booming low coop-coop-coops repeated and with variations and some duets between individuals.

When duetting the female has a lower pitched call. Other calls include a rapid rattling "lotok, lotok ..." and a harsh scolding "skaah" and a hissing threat call.

The bird is associated with many local beliefs. The deep calls are associated with spirits and omens.

In British India, it was noted that new-comers to India often mistook it for a pheasant and shot it to find it "evil flavoured" giving it the nickname of "Griff's pheasant.

The flesh was once eaten as a folk cure for tuberculosis

Sawadee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

When my human (before he became a duo) used to live up on top of Thanon Chang Kien, the sounds of these birds were so wonderful at night.

They seemed very "spooky" of humans though. If I saw one in a lumyai tree fifty meters away : he'd fly away immediately.

Now they are also in my neighborhood here near, I'm happy to say.

I've been told that their name in Thai is "Nok Kapoot," but we're sure there are some real bird lovers that will correct this if we're wrong. And it was a very nice man I met who told me they were of the cuckoo family.

Beautiful birds !

best, ~o:37;

cmsally... awesome! thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Greater Coucal or the Crow Pheasant (Centropus sinensis) is a non-parasitic member of the cuckoo order of birds, the Cuculiformes. It is a widespread resident in Asia, from India, east to south China and Indonesia. There are several subspecies with some treated as full species. It found in wide range of habitats from jungle to cultivation.

They are weak fliers that clamber in vegetation or walk on the ground searching for their food of insects, eggs and nestlings of other birds. They have a deep resonant call that makes it a bird that brings omen in many parts of its range.

250px-Greater_Coucal_(Centropus_sinensis)_in_Kolkata_I_IMG_3240.jpg

The calls are a booming low coop-coop-coops repeated and with variations and some duets between individuals.

When duetting the female has a lower pitched call. Other calls include a rapid rattling "lotok, lotok ..." and a harsh scolding "skaah" and a hissing threat call.

The bird is associated with many local beliefs. The deep calls are associated with spirits and omens.

In British India, it was noted that new-comers to India often mistook it for a pheasant and shot it to find it "evil flavoured" giving it the nickname of "Griff's pheasant.

The flesh was once eaten as a folk cure for tuberculosis

Also Australia, if it is not the same it is a very close cousin.

I think its called a Nookwho, or owl . The bird shown in the pictures is a Gow wow, It does not sing at night.

Or it could be a winky wanky bird it has its four-skin attatched to it eyes Do not throw things at it , because it could w.ank it self to death,

Its not nohk huuk. They make more chirpy/ higher pitch sounds. The "whoop" the OP is describing is lower pitch and sounds deep.

Its the Greater Coucal the OP is asking about. Although none of the recordings and videos do it justice. Nothing like having the bird right outside your window "whooping" away. lol And they "whoop" whenever they feel like it. Some reason they like doing after dark at Immeco lol

Edited by Yunnie