New Immigration Ruling

The gf took a Thai Airways flight from BKK to Singapore yesterday. On board there was an announcement that with immediate effect, a new law has been enacted that all Thai nationals entering Singapore must have cash equivalent of 30K baht and cannot be allowed to stay in the country for more than 3 months in a calendar year. The annoucement was in both Thai and English.

Is there such a law now in place (by either Thailand or Singapore)? Anyone knows of this? Where to get the exact details?

It would be a Singaporean law. It would be similar to some other countries requirements to get tourist visas.

Only 30 days seems a bit harsh though.

Do Thais need a visa to go to Singapore? If it is a visa on entry, there is no way for the Sing's to verify the 30K.

It would be a Singaporean law. It would be similar to some other countries requirements to get tourist visas.

Do Thais need a visa to go to Singapore? If it is a visa on entry, there is no way for the Sing's to verify the 30K.

Like BKK. Need to be holding the cash?

Not completely new, I had a friend that was traveling to her 'step'-mom in Singapore last year and did not have over 10k in her wallet. Immigration held her until her step-mom picked her up and guaranteed her stay there, and I believe she only got 3 weeks stay or something too.

<br />It would be a Singaporean law. It would be similar to some other countries requirements to get tourist visas.<br /><br />Only 30 days seems a bit harsh though.<br /><br />Do Thais need a visa to go to Singapore? If it is a visa on entry, there is no way for the Sing's to verify the 30K.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If to target Thais only and not other nationalities that would be discrimination. Thais get automatic 30 days upon arrival, renewable another 30 days (subject to approval)

I have edited the subtitle to make cear this is about traveling to Singapore and not about Thailand.

Almost every country has a rule that you must have enough money for you to be allowed to enter. Thailand also has such law, but rarely checks. (Unless you look like you don't have a dime).

I'm confident Sngapore also has such law, and they might be enforcing it stricter. I suspect it is only in relation to certain nationals they will check, to discourage illegal immigration.

<br />It would be a Singaporean law. It would be similar to some other countries requirements to get tourist visas.<br /><br />Only 30 days seems a bit harsh though.<br /><br />Do Thais need a visa to go to Singapore? If it is a visa on entry, there is no way for the Sing's to verify the 30K.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If to target Thais only and not other nationalities that would be discrimination. Thais get automatic 30 days upon arrival, renewable another 30 days (subject to approval)

It wouldn't be discrimination. Every country has different rules for different visitors depending on their country of origin

Thai nationals dont need a visa for 30 days or less, they get visa waiver at Changi...

Think the key part of the rule is allowing a maxium of 90 days in a calander year....

Not discrimination at all.....one could suggest Thailand has/had the same/similar rules

Pity about Orchard Road though.... :)

My GF used to work in Singapore for a wile. (She didn't had a Workpermit but it never was a problem) She stayed there 2 Month and came back to Thailand for 1 month. She always had a return flight within 5 days which she never tooked. (just for show at immi) She did so over and over again in 2009 until January 2010. Last time she arrived in Singapore the immigration hold her in the office too until her friend picked her up and guaranty for her that she can take her self. That time only 5-10.000THB in cash was needed to show but suddenly the immigration in Singapore lost there minds i guess . She was told to stay out of Singapore for the next 6 month OR travel to another country within 1-2 Month such as Hong Kong or Taiwan to prove that she is not a Sex worker in Singapore.

They want to see in her passport that she not come to Singapore only but also travel to other countries.

Well we decided now that it is the best way for her to stay and work in Thailand now.

Edited by Lammbock

certainly is new; we (Thai gf) flew to S'pore last Tues, 23rd March and no announcement, neither was there any questioning on arrival re 'sufficient funds', or if we had tickets out . . . just quick look at passports and stamped for maximum 30 days.

extras off of a horror flick.
TG on Orchard are scary.

why?

its orchard gardens,a complex with bars on 3 or 4 floors,and what i could see they all seemed to be lady boys.

Here is an example of one of your "extras off of a horror flick". I can see people screaming in panic on the streets right now.

post-60541-1270053799_thumb.jpg

extras off of a horror flick.
TG on Orchard are scary.

why?

its orchard gardens,a complex with bars on 3 or 4 floors,and what i could see they all seemed to be lady boys.

Its affectionately known as "4 floors of whores", but generally has a lot of filipinas there