Car Accident On Koh Chang

nw1

Hi all,

To cut a long story short. I live in Sihanoukville Cambodia. I have a Khmer registered Toyota Rav4.

Bought it across the border last wek for a holiday. Whilst parked on the main drag of Koh Chang last Friday, and 50m away having a coffee, a Thai in a pickup slammed into my car - pushing it into the car parked in front.

Party at fault had insurance with a mob called Chinakit Ch Co, Ltd, with an office in Trat.

Fairly extensive panel damage to both ends and one side, transmission, radiator, etc etc all stuffed up. In the west I am confident it would have been written off, but not here. (Cambo is the same).

They accepted the claim, (after trying a few fast ones), and my car is now at a repairer in Trat.

Problem: Rav4's have never been in Thailand, either sold as new or secondhand, therefore parts are going to be a nightmare - as explained to me by the repairer.

I enquired with the insurer about having it repaired in Cambo - but no go.

My query: Is there any sort of legislative time frame wihthin which an insurer needs to complete a repair? I have this premonition that they will drag their feet hoping I will give up.

Failing that, does anyone have the details of a good Thai lawyer in Trat or thereabouts?

btw: In the meantime I have to return to the Had Lek border every 4 weeks to extend the Thai import permit - all at my expense of course.

Really appreciate any assistance you can give me on this.

Cheers, nw1

Not sure where you get the idea there are no RAV 4,s in Thailand , there are plenty , I am fairly certain there is even a RAV 4 club somewhere .

Anyway it is the insurers problem , if the repairer cannot source the parts , then they would have no option but to write it off .

I think they may be pulling your chain somehow .

Its amazing what thai panel beaters can do with body filler (Bog). :D

By the way, your mistake was parking the vehicle, legally on the side of the road, had you stopped it in the middle of the traffic lane and left it there, there never would of been an accident in the first place. :)

Don't forget that it is the person who hit you who you sue, not his insurer. He is the one at fault, not his insurer. You can start proceedings against him and it is then his beef to get his insurer to step in or to pay. He is liable for the damage, he just insures that liability. People seem to forget that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips. I have been emailing the repairer, but no reply. I have a Thai friend here in Cambo who can call them and stir them up if needed.

In the meantime I am due to report to Customs at Had Lek this week for my first import extension. The fun just doesn't stop!

• 2 weeks later...

To round this story out, here is what transpired. As directed, on the 24th of April I went to the Had Lek Customs post to get a 30 day renewal for the import permit for the car, (which was still in bits at the repairers in Trat).

In contradiction to what I was told a month earlier, I was advised that I had to go to the Customs office in Khlong Yai, (about 20km north of the border), where I could get the extension.

So I returned to the Khmer side, stamped out and stamped into LOS. Got a baht bus to the Customs office. This is where it got sad. Yes I could get an extension, BUT only if I had the vehicle with me to confirm I hadn't disposed of it. All the explanations and supporting paperwork from the cops, the insurer and the repairer were of no use - the rules are the rules. I even offered to pay for a customs officer in Trat to visit the repairer to confirm that the vehicle was still there, and still undrivable - no go unfortunately. I was politely told that I was now liable for a 100baht fine for each day the vehicle remained in Thailand.

So back in the baht bus to stamp out of LOS, stamp back into Cambo with head hanging low.

But it ended up not quite the nightmare I was now expecting. A few impassioned calls to the repairer by a good Thai friend in Koh Kong, and the vehicle was ready to pick up 4 days later.

So again, I stamped out of Cambo, into LOS and took the van up to Trat, and a taxi out to the repairer. All was well, in fact the car was in better shape that after a normal insurance repair! I drove it straight back to Had Lek, paid my 400baht overstay fine and after some confused negotiations with the Khmer customs, (who found the whole saga too much to digest), I managed to rock and roll back to Sihanoukville.

So 8 stamps later, I was free :)

Will I take my car into Thailand again? Most probably not. Even though an accident isn't something one should anticipate having all the time, this episode has made me very leery about the whole exercise.

Thanks again to the members who were kind enough to offer advice.

Edited by nw1