Surin Farrang Connection

ray23

I finally got to visit the restaurant and I have to tell you it was very disappointing. the staff was not friendly. The food I had was OK, my friend ordered a pizza, couldn't even eat it at all he took one taste. I didn't want to taste it just from it's appearance.

When my friend brought it to the attention of the manager it was just tough luck. No offer of a refund. Not even an apology.

I was very disappointed I drove all the way from Udon to try it.

Now you can get angry about this as your manager said to my friend up to you. I won't be coming back but I'm no loss to you. But my friend is there often and you have lost his business.

Anything beyond who cares from you manager in the situation would have been at least helpful in some way. Not I could care less if I have your business.

I brought this to your attention simply because I have seen the effort you have put forth to promote it. Not going to do much good if you don't deliver, when people do come.

Your place not mine I'm just letting you know I saw a problem.

I hope you can take this in the spirit it was written.

PS No booze involved my friend nor I drink

I tried to PM this no luck

Edited by ray23

Sorry to hear about the demise of the Surin Farrang Connection but it does not surprise me. Martin the owner of the SFC passed away a few months back of cancer (RIP). He was the mastermind, heart and soul of this institution. Time well only tell if the SFC returns to it glory days.

A restaurant/bar is only as good as the guy behind the bar as Martin was.

A good example is at The Retreat Wine Bar in a very remote back street in Cheltenham. UK

Mike Dey is the soul of the place, always there, and has been for 28 years.......

if he left, it would fail in no time, so no surprises at Surin, I'm sorry to say.

It was all Martin.

Now it is just another thai don't give a crap restaurant like the other million in this country

Save yourself a bad experience and don't go

Perhaps it was inevitable that there would be some decline after Martin's death.

However, out of respect for his memory calling it a "don't give a crap bar" is unnecessary.

Let people make their own minds up.

PS - I think you will find that Martin didn't give a cr4p !

Edited by Chaimai

As mentioned earlier, sadly, Martin past away on January 4th. If he was still there you would not have got the service you did. Surin is still a good place to visit and if you had of done your homework you could have gone to another very well ran and organised farang place called Starbeams restaurant/bar just a long the bottom road of Surin about a 5 minute walk from the FC.

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

This “don’t care” attitude doesn’t just relate to the SFC, it appears to be the attitude throughout this country,Thai or farang restaurants. They just don't care what sh@t they serve you as long as they get your money.

This “don’t care” attitude doesn’t just relate to the SFC, it appears to be the attitude throughout this country,Thai or farang restaurants. They just don't care what sh@t they serve you as long as they get your money.

I am sorry to have to disagree with you Wee Jimmy.

Maybe that is so, were you come from, but I believe every Farang restaurant owner in & around Surin is giving good service and good quality food too.

I am just another customer and have no business interests in this field but healthy competition has changed all of these venues for the better (whatever the nationality).

Hopefully Ray, when you next ride-out to Surin, get in contact and I will introduce you to Mike at Starbeam,Norby at N&N restaurant,Gary at Staffords(Presat) or Ray at Coffee Corner(PrakonChai).

All these places serve good food IMHO.

Dave

I am sorry to have to disagree with you Wee Jimmy.

Maybe that is so, were you come from, but I believe every Farang restaurant owner in & around Surin is giving good service and good quality food too.

I am just another customer and have no business interests in this field but healthy competition has changed all of these venues for the better (whatever the nationality).

Hopefully Ray, when you next ride-out to Surin, get in contact and I will introduce you to Mike at Starbeam,Norby at N&N restaurant,Gary at Staffords(Presat) or Ray at Coffee Corner(PrakonChai).

All these places serve good food IMHO.

Dave

Thanks Dave I will do that, this really has nothing to do with the previous owner. I have been here a very long time, never have felt so unwelcome at any establishment. I understand now but in the end it's very sad to have seen this. The guy worked hard to build the business. There was only one other customer in the place drinking a beer not eating and talking to the cuties. It had a impressive menu. So at one time must have been a good place. That business given a bit of TLC would have taken care of people for years.

We have had a long time farrang owner pass away here in Udon at TJ's, the family is Thai. But, they carried on the traditions that were sit. The business will help them for years to come.

I'm sorry I wasn't the one with up to you, the manager was. Like I said very sad.

No disresp[ect to Martin never got to met him.

I don't know who you spoke to at the Farang Connection, but Nee speaks very good English and I can't imagine her saying up to you, unless you were disrespectful. On the other hand, if you spoke to one of the employees, maybe the only English he or she new was up to you.

Barry

It was all Martin.

Now it is just another thai don't give a crap restaurant like the other million in this country

Perhaps it was inevitable that there would be some decline after Martin's death.

However, out of respect for his memory calling it a "don't give a crap bar" is unnecessary.

And I Think its bad taste to bad mouth some after they have passed away. You show no class on this one.

thats total crap Jimmy .... obviously you dont get out much , maybe give 7 eleven a miss and try eating somewhere else ..... fool ........

I don't know who you spoke to at the Farang Connection, but Nee speaks very good English and I can't imagine her saying up to you, unless you were disrespectful. On the other hand, if you spoke to one of the employees, maybe the only English he or she new was up to you.

Barry

Hi Barry

Hope all well. Sunnee and virtually all the farang residents of Surin were at a BIG,BIG birthday party yesterday, so as you suggest, it might have been a case of... "When the cats away...."

Bl@@dy good party though :D:)

I can't say, whoever the lady was she didn't even greet us when we came in. So doesn't sound like the same person. When I say not friendly I mean not friendly. If you know the owner bring it up to her. If it was someone else they were not taking very good care of her business. The person really didn't seem to speak English that well.

Well you guys live there keep me posted. I would give it another try I would like to see what I went to see. Sometimes timing can be everything. Unless it's positive I won't post anything under the circumstances. With the heat the way it is might be a while before I get out for a ride. Saw posters saying the round up is in November. I've seen it but my wife hasn't. should be cool by then :)

Barry and Dave I really didn't know you guys lived in the area. I will post a ride next time I come it, would be great to meet you.

totally agree ray23

since martin has past away, SFC has gone right down, the food is terrible, the staff was rude and they dont seem to be bothered and yes Sunnee was there, i be surprise if its still there in 12 months. i wont be going there again, its a shame really as it was a very good place to eat/drink/meet others

Edited by GOWER

Barry and Dave I really didn't know you guys lived in the area. I will post a ride next time I come it, would be great to meet you.

Thats funny seeing as I got your hotel sorted 'at late notice' last Elephant Festival for you.

At that time I was out of town, riding to a Bike show in Srisaket,However.

See Dudes & Elephants never forget :)

Ray,

I live in Korat, but have known Martin, and sunnee for a number of years.

Hey Dave,

Everything here in Korat is fine, with the exception of not having any water for six days now. who's Birthday was it anyway?

Barry

Bears, wish I could of made it. He very politely turned up at my childs birthday. A real gentleman if ever there was one.

John.....

It was all Martin.

And I Think its bad taste to bad mouth some after they have passed away. You show no class on this one.

I trust your reply was not to me ?

Anyone who knew Martin was aware of one his favourite phrases:-

"You must be confusing me with someone who gives a <deleted> :) "

It was all Martin.

I trust your reply was not to me ?

Anyone who knew Martin was aware of one his favourite phrases:-

"You must be confusing me with someone who gives a <deleted> :) "

It was and is. :D

Yes it has been there for years and had 3 previous owners before Martin. It is well situated for parking and easy access, it is light and airy and I have been a regular customer, when in town, for 7 years now. Until recently or the last few years, there hasn't really been a farang place that could touch it, who knows, perhaps things may change in the future, the locals and tourists alike may migrate to new farang restaurants when they become a bit more established.

John.....

It was and is. :)

Gotlost

This might sound like I'm jumping here a bit, but I act in the same way as Chaimai when dealing with my good friend Martin.

When alive, he would take the p!ss in a true English fashion and that upset some types. Most people who REALLY knew him, were the ones who were the most abusive to him and he took as good as he got. My last words to him when he was lying in bed with a patch over one eye was....

You cannot hide from your customers that easy, Captain Pugwash

Was I being rude, I think not so Like it or not (with respect), I will continue to take the p!ss out of the old bugger and although I don't believe in the afterlife, I think he would be having a laugh at us all now.

It was and is. :D

Gotlost

This might sound like I'm jumping here a bit, but I act in the same way as Chaimai when dealing with my good friend Martin.

When alive, he would take the p!ss in a true English fashion and that upset some types. Most people who REALLY knew him, were the ones who were the most abusive to him and he took as good as he got. My last words to him when he was lying in bed with a patch over one eye was....

You cannot hide from your customers that easy, Captain Pugwash

Was I being rude, I think not so Like it or not (with respect), I will continue to take the p!ss out of the old bugger and although I don't believe in the afterlife, I think he would be having a laugh at us all now.

I'll give you this one DD. No doubt he is laughing at us. :)

Ray,

I live in Korat, but have known Martin, and sunnee for a number of years.

Hey Dave,

Everything here in Korat is fine, with the exception of not having any water for six days now. who's Birthday was it anyway?

Barry

Bears, wish I could of made it. He very politely turned up at my childs birthday. A real gentleman if ever there was one.

John.....

Wow. Wish I would have known it was Bears Birthday, we would have come.

Barry

Went there twice last year and will not go again, found it to be the most depressing place to go. Staff were rude and customers were all old pi**ed guys that had split from their 20 yo bar girl from Pattaya. Much better place just accros the road, and cheaper too.