Recommendation For Affordable Beach

hornuts

Just got late word that my girlfriend will visit Thai for Songkran. I'm looking for recommendations on a beach destination (preferably in the South, but would welcome arguments for / against ko chang) that's not going to hurt the wallet but can still get decent, couple-suitable accommodation. I'm currently not paid for what I do in Thai so really need to keep the expenses down. Also I haven't seen a beach in over a year so it needs to be a beach destination!

Also any suggestions for good websites for Thailand hotel bookings would be appreciated. I used asiarooms and got a great rate for a hotel in Phuket in 2007, but am not generally in the habit of booking beforehand when going somewhere in Thailand, and I don't know if a better option has emerged since then. Thanks

Koh Chang is great for couples and has a good Songkron party on main street

You can take the ferry over to the island, ride into town and check all the accomodations in person

You can always make a better deal in person

I recommend Klong Phrao Beach. Super clean and nice for long walks.

You can rent a moped for 200 baht a day and ride around the whole island together.

Explore the freshwater waterfalls, fishing village etc.

Nice place for romance

You can always make a better deal in person

I wouldn't necessarily agree with such a generalization that you can always get better walk-in rates. I have had several experiences in which walk-in rates were actually more expensive. I prefer to book ahead, but sometimes my friends will join me and try to find a room when we arrive. They are often quoted prices (for the same type of room) that are much higher than what I paid. Three weeks ago I went to Koh Chang and paid 2100 baht/night. My friend was offered the same room type for 4000 baht. The hotel was not willing to negotiate, even when we showed them my booking details. It seems like a lot of it might come down to demand.

I do agree that you can often find the cheapest places when you walk-in. That is because many of the cheapest bungalows and hotels do not take advance bookings, or they are not listed in hotel search engines. But the cheapest rate for a given hotel is not necessarily the walk-in rate.

Personally I would be weary of not having a reservation during Songkran week. I would guess that you wouldn't be able to negotiate as much during a busy time like that. But then again, I've never tried because I always pre-book when I'm traveling on holiday weekends or during peak travel times like Songkran, so maybe I'm off the mark here. :)

Songkran can be difficult booking, and your major problem will be the travel costs and availability. Phuket hotels should be fairly available. A very decent place in Patong is Azzurro on 200 Year Road (Thanon Song Loy Bpee). One block from the beach, clean and decent. I stayed there for a month some years ago, never a problem. Many restaurants and nightlife just a few meters away. Owned by an Italian dude who lives there. Think it may be about 1000 baht/night now, good aircon (needed right now).

Cha am has to be the best place to celebrate Songran. Rooms from 400 baht+ but will need to book now though. Google hotels. Only 90 minutes from bkk.. cheap, cheerfull and great fun although probably the busiest place in Thailand at that time.

If you know where you're going and how long you're staying, booking on line is preferable . If you are staying a longer time, you should call up and negotiate a discount on top of online booking price.

Walking in works OK and this is what I usually do, but I don't think I ever priced things lower than latestays.com. They put their lowest possible promo rates online and they will not go lower when you show up. It could be just me, a pasty white American tourist. It could be different if you speak Thai, etc...

Additionally, several hotels I went to I simply asked them to match latestays rate for that night, and they said they simply couldn't and I would have to book through the site. (which was not possible for the same night.)

Several hotels have told me that they cannot discount and that I should go to the internet (I have even used the internet in a hotel to book that hotel) thaihotels.com. Agoda, hoteltravel.com. and lastminute.com are good for comparison.