Decent Pharmacy In Bangkok?

sbaker8688

I'm a recent transplant to Bangkok after spending 5 years in Chiangmai. I'm looking for a good (i.e. "real") pharmacy. I mean, what is it with all the pharmacies here? All these places like Boots and Watson's you see in the malls - they're jokes. They mostly sell cosmetics, and I can never find what I need, whether it is blood pressure medicine, or an antibiotic that isn't one of the 2 or 3 most common ones. The other day I got into a taxi and went to literally 17 pharmacies by just asking the taxi driver to drive around until I saw one. No pharmacy had what I wanted. Today I went to 6 on foot - no pharmacy had what I wanted.

Please direct me to a "real" pharmacy. By that, I mean something that would have most anything I would need. Something that stocks "real" medicine, whether it be hardcore painkillers (no - I'm not after those), hardcore antibiotics, various blood pressure medicines, etc. Something that would have almost anything that has been prescribed in the western world.

I live in the Lat Phrao area, so prefer a place around there, but I'll go anywhere. Also, any place near a sky train or subway would be easier for me to get to as well, but again I'll go anywhere.

I prefer non-hospital pharmacies, as I've been asked for prescriptions at those places before (for things like blood pressure medicine, strangely enough), even though I shouldn't need a prescription in Thailand (unless it's a controlled substance, of course).

Thanks.

There is an excellent pharmacy directly opposite Big C on Ramkhamhaeng rd (soi 29?).

Dont know where on Lat Prao you live, but the number 22 blue air con bus will take you right to the door.

If you are standing at the enterance to Big C look across the road and the pharmacy is on your rh side right beside the bus stop, just past the pedestrian foot bridge.

On the rh side of the shop is an array of Chinese medecines, its the only place in Bkk I know thats sells Terramycin in capsules.

The old Chinese woman in there knows her stuff, and the two younger (20's) girls speak a bit of English,

its the only pharmacy my wife will use, she was fed up with being palmed off with paracetamol etc etc in the various other pharmacies that litter every soi, what she wanted was voltarene, this pharmacy had it.

in my 5 years in BKK, The biggest range and cheapest pharmacy i found is in Sukhumvit.

I do not have the full address, but its BTS Asok or Nana. Find soi 10, right across the road from soi 10 about 20 meters to the right. Its a large pharmacy, inside 99% of the time there is a huge Golden Retriever(dog)

One guy who works there speaks fluent English and they have the largest range of medication and almost half the price of other pharmacy's

Just an example. Clarinese(used for blocked ears and nose) every pharmacy is 250-280 baht, this pharmacy its 160baht.

I've had good luck with the Chula U pharmacy almost across the street from Mah Boon Krong (and just up the street from the university). I've never been asked for a prescription, although once the pharmacist did ask if I had seen a doctor...but took my word for it.

Another good one is in the Home Pro (Wave Place) building at Ploen Chit Skytrain Station (ground floor). Not perhaps as complete as your seeking, but more complete than most I've been in. Another good one (at least in the past) was the pharmacy on the 2nd floor (?) of Amarin Plaza.

in my 5 years in BKK, The biggest range and cheapest pharmacy i found is in Sukhumvit.

I do not have the full address, but its BTS Asok or Nana. Find soi 10, right across the road from soi 10 about 20 meters to the right. Its a large pharmacy, inside 99% of the time there is a huge Golden Retriever(dog)

One guy who works there speaks fluent English and they have the largest range of medication and almost half the price of other pharmacy's

Just an example. Clarinese(used for blocked ears and nose) every pharmacy is 250-280 baht, this pharmacy its 160baht.

The one 200 metres west from the junction of Sukhumvit/Nana/soi 4/soi 3 (on the south side of Sukhumvit just beyond the big British Pub) is also large and very well stocked and they speak English. While you are there - it's worth trying the one 20 metres east of that junction, again on the South side of Sukhumvit first - not quite so well stocked but sometimes a bit cheaper.

Edited by SantiSuk

It is called SOUTHEAST PHARMACY near Soi 15. Best prices I have foundin BKK.

Thats the one :)

The pharmacies that I use are on Rama 4 Rd near PanPacific Hotel

I usually go to Bhesaj Chula

Don't know the name of this one, but it's on Soi On Nut (Sukhumvit 77) halfway up the block from Sukhumvit to Carrefour. Best prices I've found anywhere, be prepared, because it's mobbed most of the time, you have to be agressive to get attention. A Chinese-owned place, and they have practically everything. I speak Thai well, so it's easy for me to communicate, but if you bring in the container for your previous meds, they'll almost always be able to find it. Lots of stuff there, as cheap as anywhere you can find.

Is this related to Chula U? If so, need prescriptions? Can you be a little more specific about location?

Thanks! :)

It is not related to Chula U but was recomended to me by a doctor

prices are reasonable

It is between Pan Pacific Hotel and Charn Issara

Is this related to Chula U? If so, need prescriptions? Can you be a little more specific about location?

Thanks! :)

It is not related to Chula U but was recomended to me by a doctor

prices are reasonable

It is between Pan Pacific Hotel and Charn Issara

Cool. I'll check it out soon. Thanks!

Ask for Ying at Southeast Pharmacy a few doors down from Soi 15 Sukhumvit. Really the best prices in Bangkok.

The other pharmacy that was mentioned in an earlier post is right by the entrance from the elevated walkway to Amarin Plaza off the BTS station Chidlom. I think they have most products, but not sure about their prices, certainly higher than Southeast Pharmacy.

Across from main entrance of MBK on other side of Phayathai road is the pharmacy of a pharmaceutical college. The stock room behind the counter looks huge and prices seem reasonable.

Would any of these places sell a decent sleep remedy that would substitute for 1mg xanax? I am a little confused about whether a prescription is needed because my regular pharmacy in Silom sells it to me without, but the places on Sukhumvit soi 22 seem to price it at "black market" rates of 20 baht each. If anyone knows of a good solution for anxiety/sleep I am all ears! Any Pattaya specific pharmacy info gets you double bonus points.

Edited by monekyface

Unquestionably the best supplied and largest pharamacy in Bangkok is on the 'pharmacy road' (there are about 20 pharamacies on it) on the South side of Siriraj Hospital (the largest state hospital in Thailand). This is where you go for newly imported or rare medicine.

To find them:

Go to Wanglang pier. The road leading off from that pier is the road the pharmacy are on. Walk to the the South West edge of the hospital to where its final south entrance is to be found, and the pharamacy is just to the East of it.

post-60541-1271841840_thumb.jpg