Over-reporting Of Crime In Local Newspapers

johnh101

180 local business operators discuss Tourism problems here in Pattaya.

At Pattaya City Hall, Khun Niran, the Mayor of Pattaya chaired this meeting along with Khun Sansak, the former Sport and Tourism Ministerial Adviser along with Khun Raiwat from the Chonburi Provincial Council. 180 local business operators were invited along to discuss ways to increase the image of Pattaya in Thailand and the rest of the world. Many delegates offered advice to the meeting including Mr. Drew Noyes, who suggested that Pattaya City Hall should utilize the private sector more to assist them in this matter. Recent events such as the Asian Earthquake and the suggested over-reporting of crime in local newspapers and television were also brought up as reasons behind the low tourism numbers being experienced here in Pattaya at present. A further meeting is expected in the coming weeks.

So I guess they will now try to stop the newspapers reporting crimes ! !

At Pattaya City Hall, Khun Niran, the Mayor of Pattaya chaired this meeting along with Khun Sansak, the former Sport and Tourism Ministerial Adviser along with Khun Raiwat from the Chonburi Provincial Council. 180 local business operators were invited along to discuss ways to increase the image of Pattaya in Thailand and the rest of the world. Many delegates offered advice to the meeting including Mr. Drew Noyes, who suggested that Pattaya City Hall should utilize the private sector more to assist them in this matter. Recent events such as the Asian Earthquake and the suggested over-reporting of crime in local newspapers and television were also brought up as reasons behind the low tourism numbers being experienced here in Pattaya at present. A further meeting is expected in the coming weeks.

I think Mr Drew Noyes is the man behind the new Happy News Channel. Says it all really doesn't it?

I think Mr Drew Noyes is the man behind the new Happy News Channel. Says it all really doesn't it?

The happy news channel :o:D:D Your joking right???

I know Sophon needs something but is this really the best they can do?

Over reporting of crime has nothing to do with it, I feel safer here than walking around any major city in the UK

The Earthquake has more to do with a fall in tourism, package tourists are frightened Thailand will get hit by another tsunami, half of them don't realize Pattaya is on the wrong coast

That coupled with the fact it's low season and the bar are closing at 1 o'clock has more to do with the low tourism numbers

IMO

Early closing is well publicized after hours arn't

Over reporting of crime has nothing to do with it,

Can you give me your deffinition of " over reporting of crime"?

What is your criterion for reporting crime, murder, rape, serious assault or anything less than a week in hospital doesn't count?

In my opinion there is a serious under reporting of crime here in Thailand, serious crimes too.

Well unfortunately the truth hurts.

There is crime in Pattaya as there is in every other City in the world.

What the council and Law enforcers should do is get to grips with the crime, especially violent crime which seems to be mainly committed by the wayward Thai youth of to-day.

Pattaya will not enhance it`s immage by the suppression of the press and pretending that crimes do not occur.

It`s immage however will be enhanced by cracking down hard on the thugs and making the city a safer place.

What is your criterion for reporting crime, murder, rape, serious assault or anything less than a week in hospital doesn't count?

In my opinion there is a serious under reporting of crime here in Thailand, serious crimes too.

I should have included the quotes when I said "over reporting of crime" it was Drew Noyes who said it

Any serious crime should be reported but I don't see the point of reporting a motorbike theft one day after another

All serious accidents should be reported but it seams to me PCN needs to fill up thier air time with trivia

I should have included the quotes when I said "over reporting of crime" it was Drew Noyes who said it

Any serious crime should be reported but I don't see the point of reporting a motorbike theft one day after another

All serious accidents should be reported but it seams to me PCN needs to fill up thier air time with trivia

Stems from the fact that they have got between 40-60 minutes to fill up when even the BBC and ITN as an example with their huge resources, only need to fill 30 minutes max with real worldwide news. Given that their media net only covers the distance that a honda wave can travel on a tank of gas, means that they just trawl the net for anything they can. Personally, I find it so boring watching these shows when I am in Pattaya that I dont bother anymore.

The happy news channel :o:D:D Your joking right???

I know Sophon needs something but is this really the best they can do?

Another falang blowing smoke up the powers to be backsides.DO these people really think coming out with statements like that the will improve things.TRY explaning to them that people do not want to fly half way round the world to be told that at 1 am go home to bed and heaven for bid if you are in a place which gets raided and being told to wait a couple of hours to pee in a bottle.This place has been the party place for years if something is not broken dont fix it.All these falangs PSN PWN HNS should sit back and think about the way they are portraying things here in fun town is the constant reporting on bars and discos being raided really helping to encourage people to visit.If i was still a holiday maker looking for a fun place to go Thai would be way down the list due to the restrictive entertaintment; being enforced and reported the way it is.I left to get away from bleeding do gooders but unfortunately they seem to have followed.WHY DID YOU COME HERE.THE SAME as us all sssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I dont get Sophon, and Banglamung cable news is so pathetic its not worth watching. If anything the Pattaya Mails crime reporting is somewhat sanitised and does not cover a lot of serious crime that is posed on this forum. BTW thanks Britmaveric for your news posts.

The sad truth is that news reporting is a business and if there was no demand for coverage of dead bodies , crime scene closeups, I.D and passports of victoms being shown, and all of the other blood and guts ,they would not show or report it.Its what the viewers/readers want to see.

As for this having a negative impact on tourist numbers. What a load of tripe. Its only putting a smokescreen over some of the real issues such as early closing hours,dual pricing ,the baht bus fiasco,poor water quality at the beaches etc.

Ive lived in Pattaya for a few years now and have never felt in any real danger.

I dont get Sophon, and Banglamung cable news is so pathetic its not worth watching. If anything the Pattaya Mails crime reporting is somewhat sanitised and does not cover a lot of serious crime that is posed on this forum. BTW thanks Britmaveric for your news posts.

The sad truth is that news reporting is a business and if there was no demand for coverage of dead bodies , crime scene closeups, I.D and passports of victoms being shown, and all of the other blood and guts ,they would not show or report it.Its what the viewers/readers want to see.

As for this having a negative impact on tourist numbers. What a load of tripe. Its only putting a smokescreen over some of the real issues such as early closing hours,dual pricing ,the baht bus fiasco,poor water quality at the beaches etc.

Ive lived in Pattaya  for a few years now and have never felt in any real danger.

You are totaly right there . And if they just took away the overprotecting bullshit down town and dealt whit the real problems like the Thai boyz scooter gangs and left the operators alone whit a longer opening time it would boost the tourism a bit.

Most people who come here are from a overprotected place and find it interesting to come to a place of more freedom. At the moment this city is closeing 1-3 hours befor the visitors home town's soo a night on town does'nt really make sence. Pattaya City is built around night life right ? .. Well its good to promote the tennis tracks and golf courses but they want a beer too right ? The more the gowerment press the people up against the corner : the more crime its gonna be.

When the system breaks down everything breaks down ..

Dont belive the Tsunami is the reason for low tourism , Taksins law and politics are creeping in under everybodys door and the Black Tulip are growing from there.

Crime !!!