Red Shirts Put Lives On Hold To Camp Out In Bangkok

webfact

Red Shirts put lives on hold to camp out in Bangkok

by Patrick Falby

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Farmer Srian Paengsun's crops have withered in the month he has spent camped in the Thai capital with thousands of red-shirted demonstrators, but he says it's a price worth paying.

"My rice fields are all dead. My wife didn't have the energy to farm them. But even though the crop is gone, this is worth it. This is what I want to do," he says at the sprawling rally site in Bangkok's historic district.

The 43-year-old from northeastern Surin province is one of thousands of "Red Shirt" protesters who have been occupying two key areas of the city in their bid to force Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to call immediate elections.

The rally sites have been fitted out with tents, canteens and large stages, where loudspeakers blast out a mixture of fiery anti-government rhetoric and country folk music.

Red Shirts have set up makeshift toilets hooked up to the local water systems, brought in trailers equipped with showers and use washing facilities at nearby temples and hospitals.

Despite a crackdown by security forces on Saturday that left 21 people dead and more than 800 wounded, Reds continue to trickle in to join the protests, which have blocked traffic and caused many shops to shut.

"Since we got news the army shot Red Shirts, more people want to come out," says 45-year-old Chalpramon Chonpasin, who joined the demonstrations this week.

Despite sweltering temperatures near 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit), organisers say about 30,000 Red Shirts have been sleeping at an encampment around Democracy Monument in the area that was the scene of the violence.

Another 20,000 have been camped out at a second enclave in the commercial district, which has been mostly peaceful, often with a carnival atmosphere.

The demonstrators said Wednesday they would merge the two sites, converging on the commercial hub, home to a clutch of five-star hotels and major shopping centres.

Many Reds are seeking the return of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, hailing his policies for the masses including cheap healthcare, and are refusing to go home until the government dissolves parliament.

Tiang Chaisena, 55, a farmworker who came in a neighbour's pickup truck from Chanthaburi in central Thailand, says she has been sleeping on a plastic sheet on a Bangkok street since the mass demonstrations began on March 12.

"It's not comfortable but we need to stay and fight. Everyone who comes here sleeps like this. It's very hot, but we need to stay," she says.

At a table behind the main stage in the historic district, organiser Somwan Asarasee collects Red Shirt donations, which he says go to transport, food, generators and tent rentals.

Enterprising vendors also sell food, red neckerchiefs, T-shirts and flip-flops, along with the red plastic foot and heart-shaped clappers that have become one of the quirky symbols of Thailand's anti-government movement.

Chawan Chairat, 43, closed her Bangkok karaoke bar to join the Red Shirts, but decided to make some cash selling mango salads and soft drinks from a stand in the middle of the road.

"I come to the demonstration every day and I lose a lot of money, so I thought it would be a good idea to have something to sell," she says.

At a first aid tent, former nurse Suksuipon Boonchuay, 40, says she helps treat 200 to 300 people each day, mostly for heat exhaustion or the effects of air pollution.

"More and more people come every day because we have fought for a long time," she says.

Although they are dubbed "rural hordes" by one local paper, Red Shirts say they have travelled from both near and far in their bid to oust Abhisit's government.

Teerachai Chaipayak, 25, a Bangkok law student attending a rally for his third time, says his parents disapprove of his Red Shirt support.

"They say, don't come here and they say they want to cut me from the family. I think they're just kidding, but there's some truth to the words."

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-04-14

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Far more impressive, noble and respectable than the yellow shirts who are rich and from next door.

Anyway, more and more Bangkokians become Reds in the sois (at least in my Chatuchak area).

There were a lot of red motorcycle gangs in the sois up the top end of Sukhumvit too. Some enjoying Songkran, a lot drunken and aggressive. Seems to be a fair bit of red support from shopkeepers and residents too

Far more impressive, noble and respectable than the yellow shirts who are rich and from next door.

Anyway, more and more Bangkokians become Reds in the sois (at least in my Chatuchak area).

I live in the Chatuchak area too. I'd back those comments up.

Indeed!

Time for revolution is more than ripe. If it could be peaceful like a slow but massive landslide it would be perfect.

One thing is clear: The rotten establishment must and will go. The simple Thais became more educated and are not willing anymore to be the slaves of a bunch of 100 000 people or so of the elite.

More intellectuals and even government officials will change side. //deleted//

More Reds in the sois? Sure sensible people stay indoors while the reds roam the streets. On the outskirts there are very, very few red shirts. In addition, I hardly see any celebrating thais, most are not even wearing the flowery Songkran shirts.

More Reds in the sois? Sure sensible people stay indoors while the reds roam the streets. On the outskirts there are very, very few red shirts. In addition, I hardly see any celebrating thais, most are not even wearing the flowery Songkran shirts.

Mt Thai wife says her friends not want to talk about

They all say the Red shirts are no good and make trouble for Issan Thais who live in Bangkok

But when she asks what it is like they say

Not effect us, they not come this area

So lets all stick our heads in the sand

what we can not see, can not be happening

This is the Thai way

Farangs will never understand

Mt Thai wife says her friends not want to talk about

They all say the Red shirts are no good and make trouble for Issan Thais who live in Bangkok

But when she asks what it is like they say

Not effect us, they not come this area

So lets all stick our heads in the sand

what we can not see, can not be happening

This is the Thai way

Farangs will never understand

It no longer surprises me when Thais say 'farange not understand Thailand'. Of course this is a standard response for anyone who has never thought beyond their own borders and doens't have the intelligence or education to realise they are just uttering a cliche, a worn out sound bite.

Any civil war has far more complex realities than 'issan man stick head in the sand'. Every continent has experienced the hatred existing when ideology causes brother to fight against brother. Every civil war has an anti war group.

What is happening in Thailand has a typical progression with the next phase possibly being escalation. Dont mock the characters if they dont want to participate. They may well be the peaceful moderators and they dont need to be worldly to do that.

Thought Experiment. If it were announced tomorrow that Khun Thaksin had died in his sleep would it all be over?

The Thaksin obsessives who maintain it is essentially orchestrated & all about one man, would presumably anticipate the democracy demonstrators in Bangkok would return home and life would continue as if the last decade had never taken place. No rural discontent, no demands for a more representative democracy, no demands for a better life and a fair share of the national wealth.

The article above shows the reality of the mass of democracy demonstrators in Bangkok - far from benefiting financially by their actions they are losing significant amounts by their standards. They are prepared to do that, and potentially lay down their lives because their cause is just & because the rest of Thai society - who blatantly & unashamedly benefit from the Thai apartheid system - has given them absolutely no other option.

Time for revolution is more than ripe. If it could be peaceful like a slow but massive landslide it would be perfect.

One thing is clear: The rotten establishment must and will go.

To be replaced with what ? Another rotten establishment....reminds me of a line from a song...."Meet the new boss....same as the old boss"..... :)

Sorry my friend you are spouting hippy dippy b*llsh*t

Yes indeed . Have you noticed few of the killed red shirts were not from the North or North East

but from around BKK (Samut Prakan for example )

Thought Experiment. If it were announced tomorrow that Khun Thaksin had died in his sleep would it all be over?

The Thaksin obsessives who maintain it is essentially orchestrated & all about one man, would presumably anticipate the democracy demonstrators in Bangkok would return home and life would continue as if the last decade had never taken place. No rural discontent, no demands for a more representative democracy, no demands for a better life and a fair share of the national wealth.

The article above shows the reality of the mass of democracy demonstrators in Bangkok - far from benefiting financially by their actions they are losing significant amounts by their standards. They are prepared to do that, and potentially lay down their lives because their cause is just & because the rest of Thai society - who blatantly & unashamedly benefit from the Thai apartheid system - has given them absolutely no other option.

Forum Red cheerleaders don't seem to do anything much else than have 'thought experiments'.

Its a Thaksin 'Stepford Wife' type of thing.

On the other hand this thought experiment would be so nice.

That Thaksin fell down dead.

With a stake through his heart.

Unfortunately liberal schoolboy nostrums about 'Thai apartheid' ruined the idea.

Only good for chucking in the waste paper bin.

You would find that most of the demonstrators would still be here.

Most of the leaders would disappear though. Nothing in it for them then.

God bless the Reds it's quite inspiring to see them stand up for what they believe in, and if you read their declaration they do not demand the return of Thaksin. Hilarious that the democrats who have moaned so often and long about the corruption of Thaksin and his supporters are now themselves officially named themselves as corrupt.

Head of the army tells PM to go EC says his party is corrupt Reds demand he goes and hold elections, why does this stuborn man cling on causing more unrest and deaths, hold elections now! it will not solve everything but it would be a step in the right direction.

Good post about the 100,000 thais at the top of the pile having all the spoils. Only have to watch TV to see it in action.

Also, this debunks that insulting Falang proverb about Thailand "money number one".

It will soon be over. The Army has changed sides, (many it appears during the push against the reds), the EC has changed sides, the opposition coalition are changing sides, the population are definatly more vocally red this time. Many felt pinned down during the Yellow tyranny by charges of not loving the one that they all do love.

Not this time, those too shy to stand up against the PAD are now there in full force.

I hope the Reds don't blow this chance. There is chance now to bring the country forward from its feudal system and for the population to through off the oppressors. Just think how hard it is going to be now for the Police and Army mafia to collect their tea money from businesses! Or is it the businesses that are part of the problem by roling over and paying it? More spine needed at the middle and top of society me thinks!

I'm not holding my breath, but there is a chance now.... just a chance.

Edited by grandpops

God bless the Reds it's quite inspiring to see them stand up for what they believe in, and if you read their declaration they do not demand the return of Thaksin. Hilarious that the democrats who have moaned so often and long about the corruption of Thaksin and his supporters are now themselves officially named themselves as corrupt.

Head of the army tells PM to go EC says his party is corrupt Reds demand he goes and hold elections, why does this stuborn man cling on causing more unrest and deaths, hold elections now! it will not solve everything but it would be a step in the right direction.

If you listen to any of red leaders speeches, you'll find that it is very much about the return of Thaksin.

The only way that they can get Thaksin back is by being in power. They can't be in power without an election.

One thing is clear: The rotten establishment must and will go.

To be replaced with what ? Another rotten establishment....reminds me of a line from a song...."Meet the new boss....same as the old boss"..... :)

Sorry my friend you are spouting hippy dippy b*llsh*t

Indeed,Thailand looks more and more like an African country. Where the leaders are corrupt to the bone, but unfortunately the new leaders are even worse!

Edited by jupiler

Red people in the sois?? Yes normal ones stay indoors. can tell you that we have had quite a while reds gathering in the big roundabout here in Chaiyaphum and they sum up to 12 of them.... So the support of the red, are moore or less dead.

Glegolo

I may be wrong but no one is planting or harvesting rice in issan at the moment and it is dry season I thought that planting was done between june and july and harvest between october and december ?

Yes you are wrong, parts of issan can grow two crops a year, definitely in parts of Surin

Regarding changing sides you may readt http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Ministe...ll-t355955.html. Thank you Thaivisa!

This guy just earned a huge respect from me.

The tide is turning. I would go until stating that the red / yellow problem would not exist if real freedom of expression and speak would exist in Thailand. Thais living in constant fear of what can not be discussed.

If you listen to any of red leaders speeches, you'll find that it is very much about the return of Thaksin.

I listened to them on Monday and never even heard the name all afternoon from the stage, hardly any images of him around either, heard the speeches this afternoon on the radio, same.

Good post about the 100,000 thais at the top of the pile having all the spoils. Only have to watch TV to see it in action.

Also, this debunks that insulting Falang proverb about Thailand "money number one".

It will soon be over. The Army has changed sides, (many it appears during the push against the reds), the EC has changed sides, the opposition coalition are changing sides, the population are definatly more vocally red this time. Many felt pinned down during the Yellow tyranny by charges of not loving the one that they all do love.

Not this time, those too shy to stand up against the PAD are now there in full force.

I hope the Reds don't blow this chance. There is chance now to bring the country forward from its feudal system and for the population to through off the oppressors. Just think how hard it is going to be now for the Police and Army mafia to collect their tea money from businesses! Or is it the businesses that are part of the problem by roling over and paying it? More spine needed at the middle and top of society me thinks!

I'm not holding my breath, but there is a chance now.... just a chance.

Do you seriously think that a change to the reds will stop (or even reduce) the corruption in the police force? Do you think that is even remotely possible?

Corruption is a huge problem in Thailand, and the red leaders (particularly Dear Leader) are a huge part of that. The rich business people in the N/NE are also up to their necks in it. If the protestors are protesting against corruption they should be looking in their own backyards first.

I'm not saying the Dems or any other politician are not corrupt, but to suggest that the reds will reduce corruption is laughable.

Well, he's making 500 Baht ++ a day in BKK, plus all the ya dong he can drink at night I suppose. Hard choice for him?

Whether you agree with then or not, these people believe that what they are doing is important enough for them to make some important sacrifices. It is a pity that "The Nation" and some people on this forum cannot see that.

edit to correct typo

Edited by rreddin

One thing is clear: The rotten establishment must and will go. The simple Thais became more educated and are not willing anymore to be the slaves of a bunch of 100 000 people or so of the elite.

More intellectuals and even government officials will change side. //deleted//

Sounds like you were a fan boy of Pol Pot?

I may be wrong but no one is planting or harvesting rice in issan at the moment and it is dry season I thought that planting was done between june and july and harvest between october and december ?

You are quite right, have just left after one week in centre of Issan. Fields are dry, nothing to harvest, most houses making mats.