Credit Card Charge From Australia Bank

Credit card charge from Australia bank ,

I am slow to realize I was getting milked ! today looking at my statement ( credit card ) I saw a fees of 2.8 % on a purchases I made in Bangkok ! 2.8 % that is nearly the yearly rate the bank give !

I ring the bank ( national ) thinking this fees was only for atm debit , but NO , it is a new charge ( well 6 months old ) .

I live here withdrawing from my Australian account ..and need to look at something more sensible .

My point is : a 2.8% , plus other cash fees at the end of the year became expensive ..

Perhaps a good raison to bring some cash into a bank here, low interest but low cost ?

Did anyone realize & was surprise by this new cost? and any other idea ?

Im sure all Australian Banks charge fees on international spending on the credit card. I think your propblem is being a member of NAB the highest fee charging bank in Australia.

Im with ANZ and use my credit card in BKK. Due to the hassle to open a bank account in BKK and the minimal interest paid I just bring cash and convert it when required.

Credit card charge from Australia bank ,

I am slow to realize I was getting milked ! today looking at my statement ( credit card ) I saw a fees of 2.8 % on a purchases I made in Bangkok ! 2.8 % that is nearly the yearly rate the bank give !

I ring the bank ( national ) thinking this fees was only for atm debit , but NO , it is a new charge ( well 6 months old ) .

I live here withdrawing from my Australian account ..and need to look at something more sensible .

My point is : a 2.8% , plus other cash fees at the end of the year became expensive ..

Perhaps a good raison to bring some cash into a bank here, low interest but low cost ?

Did anyone realize & was surprise by this new cost? and any other idea ?

Bloody NAB always a prick of an organization! :D

I’m with the CBA (there not much better but what choice do we have? :o ). My last credit card transaction 6 May 2005 attracted a charge of 1.5% with the x-rate 0.4 Baht under what was quoted on [email protected] (Universal Currency Conversions) at the time. My CBA ATM Keycard attracts a AUD$5.00 charge per withdrawal with a similar x-rate as above.

If you are living here full time maybe it would be more beneficial to open an Thai account. Most of the major banks offer internet banking which works very well. Be careful of charges here as well, they can be quite hefty.

i have ANZ credit card too, and will use from now one , the last time i check between ANZ and National was few weeks ago , for the same amount of cash ( ATM ) between both of them , the charge was the same ! not sure for normal purchass.

As i own ANZ shares prefert to give them my business .

I have account in bangkok and a debit card but did not use it for few years , still active , I will think about transfering some money in it .

these are new charges, few months old perhaps , i did ring national this morning ..

Just bring cash ??

said the equivalent of well over 500000 bahts and keep it at home ?

humm is that a good idea ? any places at home safe ?

Sounds like all the world's bankers are arse holes. I posted just last week about sneaky fees going up on US credit and ATM cards.

But what's interesting is that, at least in the US, the better deals are with smaller banks, credit unions, and 'banks without buildings.' (Bank of Internet has been mentioned as a good deal -- don't know if you folks down under have anything equivalent.)

But, the big boys are getting greedy. Time to take the business elsewhere (or try and make a deal with your banker, tho' your threat to leave probably will bring a laugh to these service-less bums).

Of you guys who live semi-perminantly in thailand yet travel back home a few times a year and maintain a basic account back home, I dont see why you dont bring over cash. As everyone knows it is such a pain to open a Thai account and even then fees may and do apply. Coupled with how cash talks much better than credit here as in almost anywhere, I dont see why you are bothered with the hassle.

For those permanently living here, you're likely married and have transferred all you cash already so different story.

Sounds like all the world's bankers are arse holes. I posted just last week about sneaky fees going up on US credit and ATM cards.

But what's interesting is that, at least in the US, the better deals are with smaller banks, credit unions, and 'banks without buildings.' (Bank of Internet has been mentioned as a good deal -- don't know if you folks down under have anything equivalent.)

But, the big boys are getting greedy. Time to take the business elsewhere (or try and make a deal with your banker, tho' your threat to leave probably will bring a laugh to these service-less bums).

I agree :D Bankers are w*nkers :o

We have a number of small community friendly banks kicking off:- Bendigo Bank being one that comes to mind. They appear to be going OK and offer better services and lower rates but won’t be any serious opposition to the 5 or 6 major players. I don’t know of a bank with sole Internet operations.

I have one cheque and three ATM accounts with the CBA and up until 3 months ago none of them attracted monthly fees. Then the four accounts had AUD$5.00 deducted as Monthly Account Maintenances Charges. :D

Because of my business connections I have a banking “Relationship Manager” and was straight into her face (via email), next day I had a email from some bird at the Sydney office apologising, the money was redeposited with a promise that it won’t happen again!!! :D

I guess we still have a say by treading on the right toes!! :o

i have been emailing the bank , the answer was the information of new cost was send to my home in Australia :o

new charge from bank and visa , 2.8% .

-Did any one from Australia are using a ATM with American express ? if so , can they tell me the cost for processing ?

I do not have this info in the www.page ....

-Did any one have a automatic transfer from the Australian bank to Thailand account ?

no horror stories ?

thank you

i email the bank ( NAB ) and told them i was switching to ANZ for trading / mortgage / account personal and business but got a lame answer

Of you guys who live semi-perminantly in thailand yet travel back home a few times a year and maintain a basic account back home, I dont see why you dont bring over cash. As everyone knows it is such a pain to open a Thai account and even then fees may and do apply. Coupled with how cash talks much better than credit here as in almost anywhere, I dont see why you are bothered with the hassle.

For those permanently living here, you're likely married and have transferred all you cash already so different story.

Er, 'twas piece of the proverbial cake to open a Bangkok Bank account with electronic visa/ATM card.

Fees to transfer in are reasonable, but not zero.

I live here permanently, but maintain a UK account, and Luxembourg account. Absolutely no way I'm transfering more than I need to live, depost interest rates here are abysmal.

• 1 month later...

i went back to australia , phone to the two banks i have ( anz / National ) told them i want to cancelled my visa with them .

after discussion a agreement was reach :

no annual fee for my gold visa card

reimburse this year fees ( ANZ )

interest at the lower rates

i did keep them , but now working on a transfer for the money I spend in thailand !

see firth post !