Exterior Paint For Wooden Doors & Frames

Hssl

• 2 weeks later...
But don't forget, the quality of the paint is only as good as the substrate it's applied to.

Do your surface preparation well and your better than halfway to a good quality job.

Well put. You can use the best of the best in any house, auto or airplane but if your prep sucks or is half assed you only can expect out of it what you put into it. Unfortunately our camp house they painted over dust & the paint is peeling off. So in June I will pick up some tsp (Tri Sodium Phosphate) since Thailand either no hab or I just can't find anyone that knows the Thai name for it. We will switch to an Oil base paint for sure

• 1 month later...
But don't forget, the quality of the paint is only as good as the substrate it's applied to.

Do your surface preparation well and your better than halfway to a good quality job.

Well put. You can use the best of the best in any house, auto or airplane but if your prep sucks or is half assed you only can expect out of it what you put into it. Unfortunately our camp house they painted over dust & the paint is peeling off. So in June I will pick up some tsp (Tri Sodium Phosphate) since Thailand either no hab or I just can't find anyone that knows the Thai name for it. We will switch to an Oil base paint for sure

Just a word of advice about oil paint. My Dad is a Master Painter and I have 3 years experience myself painting in Australia:

Oil paints are used for wooden surfaces such are windows and doors and give a better finish. The paint dries harder too so it's longer wearing and easier to clean. Those are the benifits of oil painting. However using oil paint on a wall seems crazy as you want some super gloss finish for some kind of shop. I've never heard of it being used on exterior or interior walls of houses. Any well prepared wall should last 15 years easily using quality water based (acrylic/latex) paints. For easier cleaning you could use a semi gloss finish instead of a Matt finish which is non gloss. For easy cleaning semi gloss is always the way to go.

Additional note on oil paint use: There can also be a beneift to use oil based paints on bathroom or kitchen ceilings and even walls for easy cleaning if you dont mind the glossy look. But good quality waterbased (acrylic) paints work just as well and look better in these environs.

From what I have read of Thailand paints, use Dulux "Weather Shield" or TOA 7 in 1 for the best exterior finish and reliablity.

Recently repainted our hard wood windows and doors with 'Dulux Weathershield' excellent paint.

I measured a wooden handrail on the verandah that was in full afternoon sunshine and the temperature was well over 145F. The paint on the handrail had shown no signs of peeling before we repainted and this after three years. The other good thing about this paint is that it dries quickly, has little in the way of smell, can be mixed to almost any colour and you can wash your brushes/rollers out in water.

currently renovating a 40 year old house; one problem re use of acrylic paint was that some of the timber had once been oiled and reacted with the acrylic primer/undercoat I was using; used a synthetic enamel primer/undercoat (two coats) then two coats of the final colour.

Suppose 'you get what you pay for' is the right attitude with paint purchases - local store had twenty-litre containers of white acrylic sealer for the downstairs concrete walls for 700baht - I bought Beger instead, as was happy with the results from their stain on the upper level of house. Just wait a few years now and see how it weathers.

Within 3 months of completing my house renovation, the paint on my external wooden gate was peeling...builder came back a few times but whatever he used just wasn't worth the time I wasted with him. Finally, I employed a handyman who properly prepared the surface, applied new paint and it's been good ever since...should last a few years he says. One year later, it's still OK despite the gate being out in the open and exposed to rain and sun. I remember the name Sandolin on the can, although I can't say what type of paint it was exactly.