Opinions On Best Local Isp

alanw

Dear all,

I'm not a techie.

I've been using KSC, basic service, for many years, and I'm wondering if I should upgrade to something better - more functionality, higher speed, cheaper??

Additionally, if I change to a different ISP, is there any facility nowadays, to retain the same e-mail address?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

AlanW

1. Speed higher than dial up is not cost effective unless you have serious reason for needing (business). I wish it was, and in time it may be. But for now can not justify paying more than 4,000 baht per month for little more than i currently pay about 400.

2. KSC is probably as good as any. I currently use MWeb, which is a service of KSC and international downloads average 5k (which is about as good as any dial up will provide here). But not sure if you connect directly to internet or have to use a proxy server. I didn't like KSC proxy years ago when first started here. The MWeb does not require this.

3. If you change your email will also have to change unless you keep a KSC account (assume you have email with "@ksc.net" or some such thing). If you have hotmail account or others outside KSC they will stay the same.

hi'

I have trying quite a few of them, and finaly after loxinfo, I changed for Ji-Net,

88hrs for 499B, reasonable price and good speed B)

they offer you an Email address.

a trick: if you use winXp pro, install the SMTP server, and then no problem to send any mail without having to log-in in any mail service B)

and, another one ... for your incoming mail, why not take a small account on a web-site that would belong to you?

just take the minimum size site, hosting have, mostly 1>2 MB, mail account(pop), some give you the opportunity to have more than one address, or why not use thai-visa mail services?

and you will have your own mail address : [email protected] B)

these kind of site are very cheap, sometime just a single symbolic $ B)

if you want some addresses ... give me one day, I'll post the best hosting-site here, then you can choose :o

it's just an idea, but as internet is moving so fast, I thought one day, that it could be nice to be a little more independant from ISP's B)

it's just my way and my opinion :D

I agree. But until ADSL is a lot, lot better that is just a dream.

right, I went to TT&T office to have some informations ...

it did sound good :o

but then, no-sign of them .. for far too long, and far too expensive for the services they could offer :D

so, I kept my "slow" rtc line and there I'm B)

I thought that it might be a little paranoid to setup all these things B)

but, in fact with the time, I feel so free, so .. a lot better B)

no ISP's can't catch any of my mail and look at my pop account,then I thought that it was worth the little work I had to do it B)

here are some hosting services :

I have tried them, and most of them are reliable B)

http://www.doteasy.com / 18$/year registration and hosting included.

http://www.myhosting.com / from 2.95$/month (all included)

http://www.cleverdot.com/cd.php?page=/web-...g.html?findwhat

well, that's three of them B)

my hosting is in my own humble opinion is the best I found, but ... it's a french hosting...

here is the address anyway B)

http://mut.ovh.fr , here is a free hosting if register a domain :o

the addresses above are actual, I went to check the addresses today B)

well, go on, be part of the web, put your cent in it, and get independant of ISP's for mail :D

have a good visit B)

right, I went to TT&T office to have some informations ...

it did sound good  :o

but then, no-sign of them .. for far too long, and far too expensive for the services they could offer  :D

so, I kept my "slow" rtc line and there I'm  B)

Yep. I'm very disappointed with the value for money of the Thai services. 42% up time....whats all that about. I expect 100% AND unlimited online time (after all ADSL is always connected anyway!). Especially if you are paying through the nose.

I think it will be a few years yet before I buy 1M/512 at 3000 THB (unlimited) as I do in the UK.

It's going the same route as GPRS did on mobiles. No one uses that either.

Don't get me wrong. I can afford the prices, I just don't think they are worth it.

I think I will probably do as you do Francois. I'll get a cheap slowline for uploads etc. After all, I won't need to download the MB & MB of Warez with the price cd's at the plaza B)

say again : 88hrs for 499 baths 

anyone got cheaper than this, just tell me ...

Depends on where you are and how much you use the net but for those heavy users in Bangkok the MWeb monthly unlimited hours account is about the same price so if you use more than 88 hours per month would be cheaper. The international connection has been fast and reliable during the few months I have used it.