American Thai

Recently chatting with a Thai born lady in her 60's who married a yank during the Viet Nam war. She went to USA becoming an American citizen.

She is now a widow and wants to return home. Is she still a Thai citizen and will she have any problems as she wants to buy a one way ticket ?

she should not have any problem at all entering thailand....

in her american passport.... on about line 13--shows that she is from thailand.... and she should not have any problem buying a one way tix home....

some of the more major problems she might have is.... how to hangon to all she possesses.... without having to divide and subdivide among her remaining and surviving family members.... who i am certain would be much envious of her....

most of her relatives would never realize.... just what she has to put up, put out and endure for all these long years....

she has my highest esteem and respect.... :D:D:D

besides, if she likes.... upon her return.... she could also request for her thai passport in addition to her u.s. passport....

welcome home.... mighty lady.... it is not easy to live abroad for so very long with a farang husband.... who i hope is generous enough to provide her with his life insurance proceeds.... :)

hopefully, she is not returning with the melodious southern accent.... :D

give her my email if you like.... nakachalet at gmail dot com

cheers

Edited by nakachalet

Yeah who is this "reallyok" a limey or pommie??

I am a very proud US ARMY 1965 GI (government issue) ... I have never heard anyone use that term even back then.

Once a Thai always a Thai.. she will have no problem and make sure she gets her SS check each month over there and just ATM the funds here.

Edited by JackSterling

Re: " Yesterday, 2010-04-16 22:30:11

Post #1

Group: Members

Member No.: 82,730

Recently chatting with a Thai born lady in her 60's who married a yank during the Viet Nam war. She went to USA becoming an American citizen.

She is now a widow and wants to return home. Is she still a Thai citizen and will she have any problems as she wants to buy a one way ticket ? "

There is no where near enough information in this to answer correctly.

1. Did the lady keep up her Thai citizenship by keeping her passport updated?

2. What year did she become an American citizen? In later years the Thai government allowed dual nationality.

3. Has the lady yet discussed this with the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs? she should.

Re: " Yesterday, 2010-04-16 22:30:11

2. What year did she become an American citizen? In later years the Thai government allowed dual nationality.

3. Has the lady yet discussed this with the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs? she should.

dear frank.... ARE YOU SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT....?

i understand you are trying to help and all....

but just since when.... does a thai has to keep up a thai citizenship....?

and just why does this thailand born lady has to discuss with thai foreign affairs....?

she can just get her TAR-BIEN-BARN and subsequently her thai id card.... and pay a small fee.... to get her thai passport.... if she wishes....

she does not have to talk to any ministerial person to complicate the issue, under this circumstances....

-------

by the way.... are you a passport broker wearing white shirt and black tie roaming in front of the embassy by any chance.... :)

just kidding, alright.... it is so terribly hot these last few days....

If she didn't keep her Thai passport active all these years, would suggest she contact the Thai Embassy in D.C. about getting a new Thai passport. Then when she returns to Bangkok, exit the U.S. on her U.S. passport and enter Thailand on her new Thai passport. That way she'll have no hassle about Thai visas or length of stay in Thailand. She'll probably need to show her Thai passport to the airline in the U.S. on checking in, no problem, they're quite used to Thai-Americans with two passports.

http://www.thaiembdc.org/

Royal Thai Embassy, 1024 Wisconsin Ave., N.W. Washington D.C. 20007

Tel. (202) 944-3600 Fax. (202) 944-3611

Then when she gets back to Thailand, she can follow up with the tambien ban and ID card business.

Mac

I am a very proud US ARMY 1965 GI (government issue) ... I have never heard anyone use that term even back then.

Once a Thai always a Thai.. she will have no problem and make sure she gets her SS check each month over there and just ATM the funds here.

Jack

An Ozzie it seems, which is quite OK. Re the "Yank," hey, I'm quite proud of it, differentiates me/us from the other "Americans," those to the north and to the south of North America.

re the Army, gotcha beat, Korat, Camp Friendship, Feb '64-'Feb '65.

Mac

She probably still has her Thai nationality, unles she renounced her Thai citizenship. If she doesn't have Thai nationality she can reclaim it.

She can apply for a Thai passport at the embassy, an embassy doesn't require one to be on a household registration book, so it is easier. Without a Thai passport she will need a visa to be able to travel to Thailand on a one-way ticket and would need extensions of stay from immirgation till she leaves Thailand and re-enters on a Thai passport.

This is basically is my wife's story, except she's not a widow because I'm not dead yet. She came over and got a new Thai ID card and Thai passport

in Thailand after some 30 years away. She is now has dual passports and can stay either place. She also signed up for and receives Thai version of

Social Security of 500 baht a month, (donates to Temple). The oneway ticket question I can't answer.

A "Limey" and a "Pommie" are one and the same.

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

Just for your future reference:

1. A passport is only one type of proof of citizenship. Not having a valid passport doesn't mean you lose your citizenship.

2. Irrelevant now. While Thai women who married a foreigner previously lost Thai nationality, this was stopped in 1992 via amendments to the Nationality Act and Thai nationality was effectively returned to those women who previously lost it.

3. MOFA isn't the right place to start. If in the US, she should start with the Thai embassy who can issue her a new Thai passport upon proof of this lady's right to Thai nationality.

Edited by samran