Cmai Car Rentals

jayinoz

Is it just me or are the car rental prices simply insane in CMAI. In Pattaya and BKK you can get some good monthy deals but CMAI dealers seem 50% more. They seem to think that we all need the latest newest show off car, when in reality many of us need a car to get from A to B. Maybe I been going to the wrong places... Quotes of 20K bt seem stupid, when u get a car for nearly half that in Pattaya.

I found out that Insurance companies will not give first class insurance on cars over 10 years old but some will give on 15 years.

Come on- u can get a half decent 7-10 year old Honda Civic for $4000 (120000bt). Surely they can rent out for 10K bt pm and simply grab a Bond to cover dink or damage.

In Aussie one of the most popular companies for rentals is 'Rent a Bomb'... $20 per day for a 10 year old car, no hassle. Not sure how 'Rent a BOMB' would go down in SE Asia :) but you get my drift in terms of simply getting a standard car for a good price.

Especially with less tourists I thought they would be more competitive- seems not so for cars.

Hotels, Motorbikes, massages, etc, etc are unbelieveable cheap in CMai but not cars for whatever reason.

Anyone come across any good car mobs that just offer basic cars at a good monthy rate? :D

TwentyK sounds obviously too much. Got to shop around, the guy that was all smiles giving you a great deal last time suddenly doesn't remember you and the prices have shot up next time you go. I'm used to getting 700/day on the cheapest models for just a three or four day rental. The place down the airport are renting out nice-looking Toyotas for a similar rate on a day-by-day basis. TwentyK for a whole month is high.

TwentyK sounds obviously too much. Got to shop around, the guy that was all smiles giving you a great deal last time suddenly doesn't remember you and the prices have shot up next time you go. I'm used to getting 700/day on the cheapest models for just a three or four day rental. The place down the airport are renting out nice-looking Toyotas for a similar rate on a day-by-day basis. TwentyK for a whole month is high.

Surely u would think that if they are offering you 700bt pd, then they would half the amount for pm rental. As you typically get if renting in a hotel for 1000bt per night, then ask about monthy and it is half that rate. As typically they are lucky to get the money up front with Bond and on daily more hassles, more people, etc.

700bt x 30 = 21000bt

I am sure they would take 12000bt pm if offerred with a Bond. Which guys was it near the Airport?

"...Come on- u can get a half decent 7-10 year old Honda Civic for $4000 (120000bt)..."

What planet are you on? In Chiang Mai you can NOT get a "half decent 7-10 year old Honda Civic for 120,000 THB". You can get a piece of junk 15+ years or older for that little money.

I shopped for about 3 months before I bought a used Honda here. Anything under 215,000 THB is junk. This is not Pattaya - thank God.

CM is not Patttaya; thank god.

And if higher car rentals means it stays that way and keeps the atypical resident and tourist from there away from CM then 20000 a baht is a small price to pay

Oh, Right ! So that's why the hordes go to Pattaya ; for the cheap cars? I would never have guessed.

"CM is not Patttaya; thank god.

And if higher car rentals means it stays that way and keeps the atypical resident and tourist from there away from CM then 20000 a baht is a small price to pay "

Here Here.

I have rented 4 times from C M 's oldest car hire firm and had excellent service.

Not the cheapest but Good.

john

How much would your bond cover, the write off value of the car?

If you can buy a Honda under ten years old for 120k, then why not just do that? thats only 12 months rental on your terms and saves the bond lay out.

Personally never seen cars that cheap here, even at auction.

Iain

How much would your bond cover, the write off value of the car?

If you can buy a Honda under ten years old for 120k, then why not just do that? thats only 12 months rental on your terms and saves the bond lay out.

Personally never seen cars that cheap here, even at auction.

Iain

Exactly. I went to the Carrefour auctions and saw cars whose engines wouldn't start and had to be pushed by the auctioneers to the front of the podium sell for more than 120,000 THB.

If you are in on a secret how to get cars that cheap, then that would be the thing to do. Good luck!

check with mr. tan, a reliable singapore man living in mae rim.

quote;

mobile 0818846869

we have sedans/trucks/suvs/vans for weekly rental from b3500/week unlimited mileage thai compulsory insurance call/email for more info

fom city life magazin.

unquote

peter

I agree with Kun bikerjoy/Peter.

I've been renting from Kun Tan for 3 months now; his service is way out and his cars are in an excellent condition. I have an automotive engineering background, so I guess I know what I am talking about.

After 3 months of research and running around used dealers as well as private sales, I am also buying my new (used) car from him now, substantially below market price.

Cheers, Tom :)

check with mr. tan, a reliable singapore man living in mae rim.

quote;

mobile 0818846869

we have sedans/trucks/suvs/vans for weekly rental from b3500/week unlimited mileage thai compulsory insurance call/email for more info

fom city life magazin.

unquote

peter

Mr Tan, does not even have a shop front and his cars are not even in his name. He tells you a price then up's the Bond as you pull out your money. He operates from a service station coffee shop and is secretive about where his cars are kept. Claims he only deals with NGO customers or long termers. Something very suspicious about this Mr tan- the Susuki 4x4 he tried to rent to me. When asking about why the car's paperwork in a Farang name he got all nervous and took off very quickly soon after. He advertising in Church newsletters, etc. No website, no shop front and cars not in his name. Takes 30 min to collect each car for u to look at and operate in Mae Rim Caltex servo without them knowing. Very secretive about the location of his cars... Should forward his details onto the local police to check him out, whether he ligit.

If a James xxx has had his 4WD stolen I know where it is..........

He wants a huge Bond yet offers a good monthly rent. Whether they are his cars or not- who knows. Very suspicious operation. Did not wish to take the chance and he upped the price as soon as I started asking about the farang name mentioned in the car books.

As some Thai's tell me, they cannot sell stolen cars in another's name, yet they do rent out to us silly farangs in Chiangmai- apparently. The Thai girl with me as a translator was very suspicious also- very curious. Seem thai to us, yet they SNG and speak some Thai and English- very suss... IMO

Check out your car books from Khun Tan to see if in his name- you maybe renting stolen cars, maybe not but check it out just in case. He maybe totally legit and simply an agent and does not pay rent to offer lower rents- yet who knows??? :)

In terms of the 120K Honda Civic's for sale I saw them at an auction in Chon Buri a couple years back... 1999 Honda's going for around 120K-140K. Sounds like they would be approx 200-250K in CMai, maybe we onto something.

Sounds like some good competition down in BKK, Chon Buri and Pattaya. Not as much in CMai thus the prices are a lot more. In terms of rentals and cars for sale.

Last car I rented was for 10K pm 5 years old from pattaya and I was living in Cmai in 2007. I guess I will take a trip down there again and see if the competition is still as good. If they a bit over half the price it will be worth the effort...

Yet I have not been back since 2007, so I will see.

In the OP you talk with such a lack of nous then further down you're laying into the Singaporean guy, in a very obsessive, repetitive fashion. It seems so incongruous I had to check several times that the authors were the same. Anyway, yesterday the first place I walked into gave me a very good deal. A very decent, newish Vios. I asked how much for a month and he said 18K straightaway - obviously you could get that down a lot. Don't know the place near the airport - my friend went - are there any others besides that place just past Rim Ping?

In the OP you talk with such a lack of nous then further down you're laying into the Singaporean guy, in a very obsessive, repetitive fashion. It seems so incongruous I had to check several times that the authors were the same. Anyway, yesterday the first place I walked into gave me a very good deal. A very decent, newish Vios. I asked how much for a month and he said 18K straightaway - obviously you could get that down a lot. Don't know the place near the airport - my friend went - are there any others besides that place just past Rim Ping?

Sounds like the places near the Airport are the winners- 700bt pd and less than 18K pm. Still high. I still think the 700bt pd guys may come down to 12-13K + Bond per month. Yet 18K for a newish car is a good deal.

Would be nice to hear of some exact details of these car places giving OK deals?

I got stuck into the Singa guy as he just wasted nearly my whole day in the extreme heat. He had cars starting from only 9K pm... That is half the cost of anywhere else.

Something is very suss with that operation. All I am saying is those who buy from him, simply check out that he is legit... l am not obsessive- lol- just annoyed he bailed after I mentioned the differing names on the book work. After showing me several cars during the day. :D

Simply check him out- beware of the 'Mr Tan man'. :) If he is legit we have a definate winner in Chaing Mai for rental car deals.

No go- the airport guys will not come down under 17K pm. So a quick flight to BKK and picked a newish Honda Civic for 9K pm on a 6 month contract- Bargain. If I hand back before the 6 months is up then they keep the 9K Bond- fair is fair. Will save me over 50K over the 6 month period. Competition counts- CMai lacks it in the car renting game and purchasing.

Appears some great deals to be had in buying at some BKK auctions are to be had also- so now we all know the car guys can make some fine money driving their auction bargains from BKK and registering them in CMai. Good to know. :)