Non-o Based On Marriage

Hi, I'm still trying to figure this out. Seems like my posts are being moderated and not all coming through so here i go again..

I'm currently on a non-imm. B that will expire very soon. Got recently married and would like to get non-o asap in order to minimise my overstay fines. I've had the 400 000k for less than 2 months in my acc. My main question is: Do the Thai embassy in Vientiane require bank acc statements in order to deliver non-o or are these statements only nedded for 12 months EXTENSION of stay based on marriage? Also, is my wife required to come to Vientiane or only required to come with me at imm. in bkk in order to get extension of stay for non-o?

Thanks in advance :)

If you have the 400k and will be able to use that in two months your best bet would be to obtain a 60 day extension of stay at the end of your current extension (to visit wife) and by the time that is nearly over the two month requirement will be met and you can extend for Thai wife. This 60 day extension will require wife ID/marriage certificate but not financials.

In Vientiane you should be able to obtain a single entry non immigrant O with marriage certificate, copy of wife ID card and home register and good to have note asking from wife so they know you are together. But as said in para one there is no need for this trip.

If you have the 400k and will be able to use that in two months your best bet would be to obtain a 60 day extension of stay at the end of your current extension (to visit wife) and by the time that is nearly over the two month requirement will be met and you can extend for Thai wife. This 60 day extension will require wife ID/marriage certificate but not financials.

In Vientiane you should be able to obtain a single entry non immigrant O with marriage certificate, copy of wife ID card and home register and good to have note asking from wife so they know you are together. But as said in para one there is no need for this trip.

I applied at the Miami consulate in the US. I got a multiple non-o visa. I had to show at least $500 in the bank, marriage license and wife's Thai ID, but did not need a letter from her.

Miami (Coral Gables) is not Vientiane and I did not say a letter would be required - but if asked for it is nice to have. No Consulate closer than Perth is likely to issue a multi entry without financial show of much more than the normal 20k baht requirement for all non immigrant visas.

All you need to do is go to your local immigration office in Thailand with marriage cert (and wife).

If you apply straight off for a married 1 year extension, you get a free 30 day "under consideration" extension.

or

They will give you a 60 day extension (1,900bht) while you get your act together for the 1 year deal (another 1,900bht)

I believe you can keep doing the 60 day extensions but am not entirely sure on that.

You won't get another Visa, they only give you extensions if you are married. (60 days or 1 year depending on the documentation you can provide)

Visas are for people entering Thailand, they don't give them to people already here, that is an extension.

No need to leave Thailand!

PS

I'm up for a marriage extension tomorrow. What daft questions will they ask?

Edited by sarahsbloke

He can not apply for a one year marriage extension of stay because he does not meet the requirements.

400 000k for less than 2 months

He can obtain the 60 day extension to allow the required time. Such extensions can only be obtained one time before a new entry would be required to be eligible for another 60 day extension.

From Police order 777/2551

2.24 In the case of an alien visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time.

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto.

Thanks yall for your replies so far. My situation is a little tricky. Eventhough my 3 month notification on my non-imm B is still valid for another 6 weeks, I quit my job 2 weeks ago and depending on whether my employer has notify imm. or not, I might already be overtsaying right now. That's why I'm more comfortable leaving Thailand, paying fines at border if needed, and getting a single entry non-O based on marriage in Vientiane. Don't want to go hang around at imm. being possibly on overstay.

So, from what I undrestand so far, I will NOT be asked to show proof of funds at Thai embassy in Vientiane in order to obtain a single entry non-imm O, and I do NOT need to go with wife..correct? All i need to do is bring:

marriage certificate,

wife's copy of ID,

copy of her blue house book (copies are ok, correct? cos we don't have the original book here),

copies of my passport pages,

a couple photo IDs

a letter stating that we are indeed married

.....anything else?

Once I got my non-imm O visa, the next step will be to go to imm. with wife and a few extra documents (account statements, pictures of us in front of our house, pictures of our marriage etc..) to get 12 month extension, correct?

I'm planning on going there as soon as I'm sure I got it right (this week) in order to minimize possible overstay fines, so ur answers are much appreciated

Thanks

That little item changes everything - you have been on overstay since your last paid day of work so a new visa would be a good idea. You may be questioned on exit without a re-entry permit by a helpful immigration officer trying to help you avoid losing your extension of stay and that could turn to being refused exit until you clear your overstay in Bangkok. So that is a chance you will be taking.

Once you have a new 90 day visa entry you will want to visit immigration with wife and full extension of stay documents with less than 30 days remaining on your stay.

For Consulate the letter is not normally required but might be asked and should just ask that the visa be issued as you will be visiting wife (helps to prove ongoing relationship).

Ya, hopefully everything will go smoothly at border.

So was I correct on previous post re list of docs needed for a 3month non-O in Vientiane, and NOT having to bring proof of income etc? Thanks