What Is That Sour, Vinegar Type Stuff You Put In Noodle Soups Etc.

torrenova

My missus calls is "sour" and you know it as the vinegar type stuff which you put chillies in and put on your soup noodles and many other things. Well, I'm outside Thailand and I need to find some but I'm not having much luck.

If I actually knew what it was that would help. My missus says it is made from sugar cane but I don't know. It there a generic name, such as I'd search of "fish sauce" and then my favourite Tiparos brand ? In Thailand we just buy bottles from BigC I think.

Any help much appreciated.

I have 2 vinegars already and it is nothing line them, and I bought another one which I thought it could be and that is nothing like the taste so I've given up just buying and hoping and would like to know what it is made from. As I said, the missus says sugar cane but I've never seen that anywhere advertised as sugar vinegar !

I could be mistaken but you could be referring to rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar. Among other things, it is an ingredient in Thai sweet chili sauce.

Like he said, it must be clear rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar. Nothing else will do.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, sounds like rice or rice wine vinegar. I'm not sure there's any difference - it might just be that it's called different things by different manufacturers, But it's colourless and has a much gentler taste than most vinegars, not nearly so sharp or aggressive. And it seems to marry with chillies better.

I make that stuff myself (sorry my Thai is still nit noi) - just chop a couple of little green chillies into a half cup of the vinegar and leave it half a day. Works for me, and I think that is the stuff you're talking about. The sour component in the Thai quartet of sweet, sour, fiery and salty.

you guys are nearly right..just add a little sugar and salt to the vinegar at first and then add green chilli and let sit..the sugar and salt dissolves and mixed with the chill will break down the harshness of the vinegar..

after all, all thai food is heaped with sugar, salt, and/or msg :)

• 2 weeks later...