Party's Over As Troops Descend On Bangkok Red-Light District

webfact

I have a number of friends (yes, FRIENDS) who are bar girls in Patpong. They don't gamble, don't use drugs - just work to support their families as best they can. Two have called in me in the past few days. They are desperate. They were told not to come back after Songkran. They don't know how they're going to pay their rent or send money home at the end of they month. One asked me if I could send her 500 baht to buy powdered milk for her children. I've been to her home in Kalasin; it's not a scam. Just to point out that this mess is truly hurting people in ways that most of us can't imagine.

So I guess you was a good samaratan and sent her a few thousand baht ?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a number of friends (yes, FRIENDS) who are bar girls in Patpong. They don't gamble, don't use drugs - just work to support their families as best they can. Two have called in me in the past few days. They are desperate. They were told not to come back after Songkran. They don't know how they're going to pay their rent or send money home at the end of they month. One asked me if I could send her 500 baht to buy powdered milk for her children. I've been to her home in Kalasin; it's not a scam. Just to point out that this mess is truly hurting people in ways that most of us can't imagine.

So I guess you was a good samaratan and sent her a few thousand baht ?

She's a friend... friends help each other when problems arise.

patpong is far away from prathunam, where the protesters are.

why soldiers have decided to park on this very street and close the night market is beyond me - there are many other roads and places where they can be positioned (if they really have to be on the streets and not in the barracks) without obstructing the public.

blaming the reds, instead of blaiming the army, is illogical

Erm it may have something to do with the fact that Bangkok Bank & CP among others have their head offices on that part of Silom road and its also regarded as Bangkok's Wall Street/Square mile, something you may know if you were ever awake during the day.

Slightly off topic, but, whilst the Red Shirts have protested and shut down the business district and caused the deployment of the Army and Police, on mass, has anyone considered the cost, to the current Government, of "fighting this domestic battle?" The Red Shirts can live on a cup of boiled rice a day, and we all know Mr.T is "chipping in" a few baht for them, but, economically, it's possible, the Government will not be able to sustain the prolonged cost of Army, Police and emergency services deployment.

All of these personel have to be paid, fed, housed etc. The logistics for all of this is very costly to Thailand. To some degree, as far as the defence forces of Thailand are concerned, Thailand is at war. Wars cost a lot of money and they are in this one alone, not with any "richer" allied countries. Add to the cost of the defence force, the local Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance involvement, all staff at 24/7, and this mounts up to a HUGE bill, for the Government. The day may come when they can't afford to pay their Army, Police and other emergency services, plus, all the support staff for them.

Further compounding this cost is, which is on topic, the economic cost, in real terms, to the country. Not much money is "coming in." So, tourism, imports, exports etc etc are not generating their normal income. However, tourisms is the talk on TV and we know for a fact this is down.

The current Government must have a "cut off point" for funding all of this. After all, Thailand is not America, The UK or The EU.

I'm not sure The World Bank would be interested in loaning money to Thailand for this "project."

We all know the Red Shirts are "hitting" the Government, economically, but has anyone considered the economic cost of this "domestic war?" It's this cost that could bring down the Government, not the loss of tourism etc.

The Army, Police etc all have families and bills to pay. If you can't pay these people, there will have to be another coup.

I believe that the troops are fed and housed regardless of what is happening, so it is just another day in that respect. :)

Yep, no OT in the green machine. As for housing, didn't you see the nice comfy verandahs they get to sleep on? Nearly as cushy as arisman.

seriously, if they run short of money, they can just print some more and worry about inflation later. It's called running a deficit.

What about the Police, Fire Brigade, Ambulance and hospital medical staff???? What about all the support staff for these services. They are on OT. They are not "The Green Machine." With a war, you pay your defence forces, but with this, you have to pay a lot more.

Having said this, I agree with what you say, the army are paid regardless. Incursions in the south, Temple dispute with Cambodia - now would be the time "to lauch" whilst the Thai Army is spread thin. I bet this has crossed a few people's minds.

Still, my original post stands, regardless of who takes Govermnent, the debt for this will see them have to be an unsuccessful Government, due to massive inflation/debt/tax increases etc etc, some of which, farang will have to pay.

When Thailand, eventually, does have it's next election, a particular party may want to lose it, so you are swept into power a few years later, because the elected Government will not be able to cope with the economic fall out from this conflict in it's first term.

Slightly off topic, but, whilst the Red Shirts have protested and shut down the business district and caused the deployment of the Army and Police, on mass, has anyone considered the cost, to the current Government, of "fighting this domestic battle?" The Red Shirts can live on a cup of boiled rice a day, and we all know Mr.T is "chipping in" a few baht for them, but, economically, it's possible, the Government will not be able to sustain the prolonged cost of Army, Police and emergency services deployment.

All of these personel have to be paid, fed, housed etc. The logistics for all of this is very costly to Thailand. To some degree, as far as the defence forces of Thailand are concerned, Thailand is at war. Wars cost a lot of money and they are in this one alone, not with any "richer" allied countries. Add to the cost of the defence force, the local Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance involvement, all staff at 24/7, and this mounts up to a HUGE bill, for the Government. The day may come when they can't afford to pay their Army, Police and other emergency services, plus, all the support staff for them.

Further compounding this cost is, which is on topic, the economic cost, in real terms, to the country. Not much money is "coming in." So, tourism, imports, exports etc etc are not generating their normal income. However, tourisms is the talk on TV and we know for a fact this is down.

The current Government must have a "cut off point" for funding all of this. After all, Thailand is not America, The UK or The EU.

I'm not sure The World Bank would be interested in loaning money to Thailand for this "project."

We all know the Red Shirts are "hitting" the Government, economically, but has anyone considered the economic cost of this "domestic war?" It's this cost that could bring down the Government, not the loss of tourism etc.

The Army, Police etc all have families and bills to pay. If you can't pay these people, there will have to be another coup.

Thailand is the 3rd largest economy in ASEAN After Indonesia & Malaysia, it also gives the military a very healthy budget, I'm sure the cost of this has all been calculated bear in mind there is a form of national service & the minimum wage is nowhere near that of western countries last time I checked it was 185 Baht for Bangkok and 120 Baht upcountry per day.

I agree, but, IMO, that's what all this is about - getting a fairer deal for the people of Issan. We called it Issan, BUT, Issan, is still in THAILAND. Many forget that. It IS a conflict of class. No one from the south would ask for 500 baht for milk for their kids, but, in Issan, the girls work in bars and "do" the only thing they can, to take care of their families.

I don't condone what is happening now, but, the two classes were always going to collide, sooner, or later. The wealth/poverty divide is too wide in Thailand.

I'm not pro Mr.T, just pro spreading the wealth a bit to the north, instead of keeping it all in the south. More should be spent on infastructure in the north. Education, medical, agriculture etc etc.

BUT, if we educated the poor, where would the rich get their cheap labour from? (cleaners, waitresses, labourers, garbage collecter etc) Where would the bars get their cheap "adult entertainment" from? This is why Issan has not received it's fair share, per population, of Thailand's consolidated revenue. The Issan people have been ripped off by their own Governments for years.

Mr.T has his own agenda which is based on greed and power. I would have perfered to see a poor, but popular figure, rise up, politically, with the support of the Issan people, but, maybe some good can come out of what Mr.T has created. Maybe Issan can get a better deal, from their own Government, whoever that may be, finally.

Thailand is the 3rd largest economy in ASEAN After Indonesia & Malaysia, it also gives the military a very healthy budget, I'm sure the cost of this has all been calculated bear in mind there is a form of national service & the minimum wage is nowhere near that of western countries last time I checked it was 185 Baht for Bangkok and 120 Baht upcountry per day.

I have also recently read in an article(please do not ask for course or link, i simply do not recall, but somewhere on line)

This article was a view of German professor whose speciality was Thailand. According to him Thai government will go bankrupt in less then 2 years.

In the article they asked Thai Finance Minister who confirmed that it was correct and unless Thailand had some major tax reforms, government will be bankrupt in 2 years.

True or not i do not know, hate to say but i am inclined to believe it. Tax system in Thailand is great on one hand as hardly anyone pays any tax, but also bad because Government does not have income for social security or infrastructure.

Saying that, if tax was reformed, i am not sure if government can manage it properly

A little higher than that but not too good.

http://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=92556

This makes no sense. These girls make a lot more money than poor Thais and supposedly have worked there a while so they already earned a good bit, and they still have zero savings? Life in Thailand - particularly in poor areas where they are coming from and living in low-standard conditions - is very cheap. So where is all the money they make going? They just spend everything and more from every paycheck?

"National Service" means, statistically, a lot of the defence forces come from up north. That's a problem for the Government.

Jerome Allaim, a 34-year-old expatriate Frenchman, still reckons Patpong is "certainly the nicest place to find girls in Bangkok" even though troop deployment "doesn't impress".

:D:D Imagine putting your name to that call :D:D .

Seriously, it takes all types :)

Must have just arrived.

Jerome Allaim, a 34-year-old expatriate Frenchman, still reckons Patpong is "certainly the nicest place to find girls in Bangkok" even though troop deployment "doesn't impress".

:D:D Imagine putting your name to that call :D:D .

Seriously, it takes all types :)

Must have just arrived.

Or never left

No wonder <SNIP>

You might pick a better avatar and user name than a terrorist... Then again, reading your posting history, it's right up your alley to pick a whacko like Che. Keep up the great work. ..

Another 44 post thai political pundit is born . ..

Not to mention the insightful Profile

Inquiring minds might want to know; are you even anywhere near thailand now or just another armchair thai political pundit? :)

Edited by tod-daniels

No wonder <SNIP>

You might pick a better avatar and user name than a terrorist... Then again, reading your posting history, it's right up your alley to pick a whacko like Che. Keep up the great work. ..

Inquiring minds might want to know; are you even anywhere near thailand now or just another armchair thai political pundit? :)

Never forget - One person's "terrorist" is another person's "freedom fighter."

This makes no sense. These girls make a lot more money than poor Thais and supposedly have worked there a while so they already earned a good bit, and they still have zero savings? Life in Thailand - particularly in poor areas where they are coming from and living in low-standard conditions - is very cheap. So where is all the money they make going? They just spend everything and more from every paycheck?

Yes, yes and yes.

No wonder <SNIP>

Never forget - One person's "terrorist" is another person's "freedom fighter."

If fireman fights fire, what does freedom-fighter fight?

he will be broke by the time he is 35 then

He turns 35 next week? :)

I think the courts should rule to confiscate the red leaders bank accounts (after all they are wanted criminals) and divert the money to compensate shop owners who have lost millions, this will also hopefully help to stop the flow of cash transfers from Taksin :D

The idea of the day! :)

When none of the girls can send money home to their parents and grandparents, who is there to blame?

Farang of course!

No need to worry, mom and dad are getting 500 baht each per day :)

Ha ha. Please don't tell me Dad is donning a bikini and doing a stint on stage?

It might be worrying if Mum was up there too. ....Monsieur Jerome might recognise her as a past swing.

:D:D:D:D

Edited by Splatter

Thats a real chicken and egg situation...

(Patpong is far away from prathunam, where the protesters are.

why soldiers have decided to park on this very street and close the night market is beyond me - there are many other roads and places where they can be positioned (if they really have to be on the streets and not in the barracks) without obstructing the public.)

The army is blocking this area so they can get a bit of R & R at the local Go Go Clubs and pop into the bank at lunch time to withdraw all there money, they will also be handing out Taskin for President cards

Nothing to do with the Red shirts planning to set up

Yes, yes and yes.

Congradulations

You have just gone to the top of the class of Farang Idiots who have no idea about Thai culture

Thai culture has no idea about saving, this is a stupid idea thought up by Chinnese Thais

The majority of these girls live on few baht them selves

There culture raises them to believe they have only 1 purpose in life and that is to support their parents, so 90 - 95% of all the money they have goes back home 5 mins after they make it, or Mama will be on the phone telling her what a bad daughter she has.

Where the money goes, well that is a new thread in its self, but I do say to you if you have any interest in Thailand or bar girls start reading some of the many books written on this subject

and stop making posts that prove you have no understanding of the culture, and how it works