Thailand Says 63,000 Unable To Work Amid Protest Turmoil

webfact

"Tick, tock, tick, tock..." How long will Abhisit... or is it Suthep... or is it Anupong... wait until they "disperse" the protesters? What in the world are you waiting for? A full civil war? Are you waiting for time to pass because people will forget the problem, because it isn't that big anyway? The time for waiting, thinking, contemplating, giving people a chance, protocol, process management, procrastinating, IS OVER!

Plus one!

The movie industry in which I work was buzzing between January and March 15th. Loads of work, movies, commercials etc. Since March 15th we have been eerily quiet apart from one big shoot in Hua Hin that went on. People, Thai and foreign that work with my agency call me everyday ... where has all off the work gone is the question ... it has all been cancelled or postponed courtesy of the red shirts ... . Thousands of people in production companies which all work with 90% freelance crews are out of work. Productions move to other more stable countries, for the third time in a row (first row of cancellations was the yellow airport closing, second the Songkran riots) many productions might not consider Thailand anymore for the months to come. Because they cannot get insured for Thailand.

The movie/advert etc entertainment industry literally brings in Billions of Baht a year and it is all being destroyed because of the red terrorists.

W

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This number seems accurate

My office is at Centralworld and every morning there are lots of people who come to work.

Lots are out of jobs.

The reds are not only affecting the rich but also the working class and the vendors

Not sure they would be welcomed anywhere

I am staying away from the area as you never know when all hel_l will break loose.

Soon I hope

They have occupied the area since the 3rd of April and not sure when the circus will end

Times are bad as it is and we certainly don't need them to make it any worse.

I would have respect for them if they had taksin's children amongst themselves since they are fighting for him

If his kids don't want to join you then is he worth fighting for? the children will benefit more than anyone else.

please correct me if i am wrong

Okay, enough observing and commenting... I think I'm packing my bags and getting out of Bangkok this weekend.

Good idea- be sure to choose a place with no internet connection!

lols!!! Then I could turn out to be one of those World War II Japanese soldiers who come out of the jungles of Iwo Jima 50 years after the war is over, saying: "Hey why the heck didn't anyone tell me the war was over?!"

"Tick, tock, tick, tock..." How long will Abhisit... or is it Suthep... or is it Anupong... wait until they "disperse" the protesters? What in the world are you waiting for? A full civil war? Are you waiting for time to pass because people will forget the problem, because it isn't that big anyway? The time for waiting, thinking, contemplating, giving people a chance, protocol, process management, procrastinating, IS OVER!

Plus one!

The movie industry in which I work was buzzing between January and March 15th. Loads of work, movies, commercials etc. Since March 15th we have been eerily quiet apart from one big shoot in Hua Hin that went on. People, Thai and foreign that work with my agency call me everyday ... where has all off the work gone is the question ... it has all been cancelled or postponed courtesy of the red shirts ... . Thousands of people in production companies which all work with 90% freelance crews are out of work. Productions move to other more stable countries, for the third time in a row (first row of cancellations was the yellow airport closing, second the Songkran riots) many productions might not consider Thailand anymore for the months to come. Because they cannot get insured for Thailand.

The movie/advert etc entertainment industry literally brings in Billions of Baht a year and it is all being destroyed because of the red terrorists.

W

W... speaking of movies... have you seen the red shirt's encampment on Silom? Looks like a scene out of the movie BRAVEHEART... as if these sharpened bamboo sticks can stop a tank or armoured personnel vehicle rumbling straight ahead at 50 mph!!!

Plus one!

W

W... speaking of movies... have you seen the red shirt's encampment on Silom? Looks like a scene out of the movie BRAVEHEART... as if these sharpened bamboo sticks can stop a tank or armoured personnel vehicle rumbling straight ahead at 50 mph!!!

I would guess that those tyres would be set alight at the first opportunity. What about the BTS station at Rajadamri?

Plus one!

W

I would guess that those tyres would be set alight at the first opportunity. What about the BTS station at Rajadamri?

Don't know about Rajadamri, but at BTS Chidlom, when you walk down the steps, there are sharpened bamboo fortresses all over the place. Makes you want to cover your neck as you walk past! Soi Chidlom still opened with a few cars passing through... Hyatt is CLOSED... that is a very bad sign. They must know something is imminent... but then again, something has been imminent for weeks now!

Typical of a propaganda machine.

Forget those who are dead. Ignore them.

Forget those injured. Ignore them

Concentrate on a few people inconvenienced by losing some money - that sounds good and anti-reds, headline it.

Sad people.

Are you suggesting that Central World has ONLY 100 employees? Paragon only 100 employees? Have you EVER been there?

Do you know how many bank branches are in each of these locations?

No, I did not write that Central World has 100 employees. What i wrote is that a department store will typically have 100 employees. Central World is a shopping complex with 2 department stores and I think the total count of retail outlets is around 500. However, the article refers to 5 department stores, and there is no mention of retail complexes or plazas. The total number of hotel rooms in the area of the protest is 1500 and at this time only the Holiday Inn had indicated a temporary closing with guests relocated to other hotels owned by the principals.

The Bangkok Post has provided a listing of what's open and what's closed in respect to the major malls in the crisis zone. Despite some closings, many retail outlets have been open for business, while other small vendors have moved into the area to take advantage of the "captive" crowd. I do not doubt that a large number of retail outlets have been closed on some days. However, the article does not refer to this. It was very specific as to what it said was closed. Hence, the reason i am asking how the 60K number was calculated.

Concentrate on a few people inconvenienced by losing some money - that sounds good and anti-reds, headline it.

Sad people.

The dead certainly don't seem forgotten.

The government is organising aid for their families, private citizen are organising themselves as to support the injured.

Of course it's not propaganda to walk into a discussion and try to derail the fact people aren't able to earn a living for themselves anymore, that many people don't feel safe going to work into that area but still do because they need to earn a living.

I'm worried about how many more will die when these people who suddenly have no more income turn around and decide to take that out on the red's.

Wait, what's this... multicoloured shirts attack reds? Hmmm could this be relevant somehow?

Sad people.

The government is organising aid for their families, private citizen are organising themselves as to support the injured.

Of course it's not propaganda to walk into a discussion and try to derail the fact people aren't able to earn a living for themselves anymore, that many people don't feel safe going to work into that area but still do because they need to earn a living.

I'm worried about how many more will die when these people who suddenly have no more income turn around and decide to take that out on the red's.

Wait, what's this... multicoloured shirts attack reds? Hmmm could this be relevant somehow?

But have you seen reports on the dead protestors in the media ? On the TV ?

All those injured Reds, they are not on TV or in the papers ?

Looks like a total whitewash cover up is going on.

Media seems to have forgotten them totally, or are they under strict orders to only show soldiers ?

Seems like lots of "propaganda" going on.

Lots of independent media got lots of video of what happened, and its now said to be circulating Thailand on VCD.

Propaganda always backfires..... and from what I hear and see, it is big time.

Lots of neutral people asking why so many people killed by the army ? why was it not shown on TV ? why did the papers not talk about it ? Why did the army use live rounds ? Who ordered the use of force ?

Thats what you call a serious backfire.

Media seems to have forgotten them totally, or are they under strict orders to only show soldiers ?

Lots of independent media got lots of video of what happened, and its now said to be circulating Thailand on VCD.

Lots of neutral people asking why so many people killed by the army ? why was it not shown on TV ? why did the papers not talk about it ? Why did the army use live rounds ? Who ordered the use of force ?

Do you read any newspapers or watch any news? There are plenty of reports about the support that is being given to those that died and were injured during the protests.

There has been very little shown or even talked about in independent media showing reds being shot, except for one showing his head being blown off with no conclusive proof of who did that, and the army shooting at protestors after being blown up by a grenade.

When you get a copy of the Red VCD, can you put it up somewhere?

That will be a true showing of propaganda.

I want to see how much they show of the men in black carrying weapons and shooting at the army.

You really need to have a look at your name and get a bit more of a 'level' view point rather than just red propaganda.

Reading is fundamental .............
Government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said that 63,601 workers were temporarily out of work due to the closure of 13 hotels, five department stores and 30 bank branches.

And comprehension is even more fundamental. If you want to be a smartass, then do the math first and then come back with an intelligent retort. The typical bank branch employs 6-10 people. A department store has no more than 100 and a large hotel around 250. Do the math; 500+3250+ 300 = 4050. Even if the head count is doubled that still only gives 8100. The fact of the matter is that the department stores and hotels have still kept staff onsite to maintain and guard the premises. For argument's sake, I have not even deducted those people who probably account for 10-20% of the 8100.

My question remains, how is the 63,601 arrived at?

Get Yourself a new calculator, mate.

My wife works as a manager for a foreign brand in Central Chitlom and told me that the total staff in the shopping center come to around 2300.

So take Central world wich is 4 times bigger, Siam Paragon, Siam center, MBK and the rest, that will comes over 12000 only in those shopping Malls.

And many red-shirts are cutting their own, because people do not want to ride a cab or tuk-tuk who bears a red flag anymore.

even here in Minburi, which is Red heart-land the disgust starts to show

If it carries on like this and people are still not working. How long until these people get fed up with the whole 'mai pen rai' attitude.

Either the reds go of their own accord (not going to happen) the government act like a government and do something about it, or the people it affects the most take matters into their own hands.

Government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said that 63,601 workers were temporarily out of work due to the closure of 13 hotels, five department stores and 30 bank branches.

And comprehension is even more fundamental. If you want to be a smartass, then do the math first and then come back with an intelligent retort. The typical bank branch employs 6-10 people. A department store has no more than 100 and a large hotel around 250. Do the math; 500+3250+ 300 = 4050. Even if the head count is doubled that still only gives 8100. The fact of the matter is that the department stores and hotels have still kept staff onsite to maintain and guard the premises. For argument's sake, I have not even deducted those people who probably account for 10-20% of the 8100.

Get Yourself a new calculator, mate.

My wife works as a manager for a foreign brand in Central Chitlom and told me that the total staff in the shopping center come to around 2300.

So take Central world wich is 4 times bigger, Siam Paragon, Siam center, MBK and the rest, that will comes over 12000 only in those shopping Malls.

And many red-shirts are cutting their own, because people do not want to ride a cab or tuk-tuk who bears a red flag anymore.

even here in Minburi, which is Red heart-land the disgust starts to show

Same here in my appartment building complex (8 buildings) the 30 or so motocyce guys are not getting much rides anymore as the people boycot them. Even though I am anti red I still use them as I have known most of them for as long as I have lived here (11 years). And I kind of like them. I have discussions with them every now and then on the protests and sofar we have stayed friendly during the discussions (you see it is possible :) ). But most people now avoid them and they are really starting to feel it in their own pockets.

I told them already that they shouldnt have told everybody that they joined the protest and they shouldnt have dressed all red for days on end as no one would want to go with them ....

There is nothing blocking the station itself. However, once you descend the staircase you are in the middle of the protester living area. I really don't understand how they can live there given the smell. It is quite overwhelming at times and this was at 8:00 in the morning. Saw one, black garbed "security guard" and he was armed with a pistol.

I did not see all those happy protesters that one sees in pictures posted here. I mainly saw hot and tired people just waiting around, for what is anyones guess.

How many people would be out of work if things really broke open? I for one would not want to get between a massive movement of people that have been held back generation after generation opposed by an elite group holding the power and resources. Sound like the making of a serious problem years and years in the making.

How many people would be out of work if things really broke open? I for one would not want to get between a massive movement of people that have been held back generation after generation opposed by an elite group holding the power and resources. Sound like the making of a serious problem years and years in the making.

That might happen if this was really about the poor vs the elite.

The problems in Thailand have more to do with corruption at ALL levels of society than anything to do with the poor and elite.

There is nothing blocking the station itself. However, once you descend the staircase you are in the middle of the protester living area. I really don't understand how they can live there given the smell. It is quite overwhelming at times and this was at 8:00 in the morning. Saw one, black garbed "security guard" and he was armed with a pistol.

I did not see all those happy protesters that one sees in pictures posted here. I mainly saw hot and tired people just waiting around, for what is anyones guess.

I see they are busy decorating the BTS ...

post-22903-1271830134_thumb.jpg

The problems in Thailand have more to do with corruption at ALL levels of society than anything to do with the poor and elite.

Corruption has plenty to do with it. It does seems the corruption has been benefiting a certain portion of the population much more than the other.

Sure is.

If the elite (you must be elite to own Bank, shopping center or hotel in That area, can just lay off workers on the spot, it show something terribly disturbing about how they regard their staff.

They can just stop paying them? Can I just stop paying my staff? Course I can't, they would take me to the cleaners... and rightly so.

So, they are either untouchable when it comes to poor treatment of staff, or they are trying to promote unrest and trying to set their staff against the redshirts.

Not only is reading fundamental, digesting and thinking is also.... but nice try. Why not try a couple of lines of smart alecism next time?

Not only is reading fundamental, so is thinking. Go back to the original post, look at para 4. Now read your post. If you don't feel like an idiot, you must be one.

They have more been held back by their OWN NEIGHBORS, you know the ones with the

nice country home, VERY well fenced in, and the Mercedes and the money lending business at 20% a month,

and the rice milling cartel etc etc. The guys paying slave wages to make bras using Burmese workers.

The SYSTEM of Kow Tow is alive and well,

even though most of the revenue stream no longer goes all the way to Bangkok directly.

What does goes upwards, goes into purchasing regional control rights and political position rights.

And this almost ALL stays in the POLITICAL CLASSES, tied to the regional business classes.

Access to access to the trough, must be purchased, using the fund winnowed from your underling neighbors.

The elite is right there folks in every small town around the whole nation.

Once they are holding a financial carrot and stick over their neighbors,

they have joined the ranks of oppressive elite.

And no amount of trying to 'Pass The Buck' upwards

will remove this nasty fact from the life of the poor.

Sure is.

If the elite (you must be elite to own Bank, shopping center or hotel in That area, can just lay off workers on the spot, it show something terribly disturbing about how they regard their staff.

They can just stop paying them? Can I just stop paying my staff? Course I can't, they would take me to the cleaners... and rightly so.

So, they are either untouchable when it comes to poor treatment of staff, or they are trying to promote unrest and trying to set their staff against the redshirts.

Not only is reading fundamental, digesting and thinking is also.... but nice try. Why not try a couple of lines of smart alecism next time?

I think the point is that a lot of poeple are being prevented from getting to their place of employment or it is simply closed because of this blockade. I have an office down in Silom Rd. not far from Silom Complex. A number of our clients have decided not to come down here since Monday because of the presence of large numbers of demonstrators and military. Whatever way you look at it this it is bad news for business which means bad news for staff, suppliers and everybody along the food chain. Whether it is 'right' or 'wrong' in terms of paying your staff is immaterial. If you have no customers, you have no income, you can't pay staff. We are not just talking about big banks and other large corporations here. We are talking about small businesses with not much of a buffer for situations like this.

Do you think Mr. Thaksin will be prepared to compensate all the ordinary folk for their losses? I doubt it very much. This situation is only going to end in one way, tears and worse.

A seige would be the way the UK, US would do it... as many have mentioned here..

the fact that they haven't... speaks volumes.

Quick foreign journo's get your front row seats for the yellow vs reds clash.

poor country cousins vs rich city cousins.

If this was a real 'revolution' I would take the ports. Nice sea air, plenty to eat, only hurting the govt coffers... not the people.

but it isnt... its just a PR war...

Sad people.

lots of neutral people asking why so many people killed by the army ? why was it not shown on TV ? why did the papers not talk about it ? Why did the army use live rounds ? Who ordered the use of force ?

If any reds are killed during any riot they will have no one to blame

but themselves. If you ask for violence adn you have declared civil war,

I am sorry but you have it coming.

The majority of Thais will not support you, all of Bangkok will not support you

The will not feel sorry for you, they will say "you asked for it, you got it."

Just hope your leaders are standing beside you instead of eating brunch

in the penthouse when the pawns go to war

Central world alone counts 5000 shops!

Go look for yourself, if you don't believe....

Corruption has plenty to do with it. It does seems the corruption has been benefiting a certain portion of the population much more than the other.

Corruption certainly doesn't benefit the poor, but who causing the corruption? The pooyai's in the villages. The middlemen ripping off the poor farmers. The rich businessmen in the villages with their big western houses and european cars.

Basically, the rich corrupt people from the country who have been ripping off the poor for decades are the ones that are funding this protest. They are funding it because they are hoping for payback when Thaksin returns.

Sure, there is corruption at the elite end as well, but the poor need to look in their backyards and at their neighbours before coming to Bangkok to complain about it.

Corruption certainly doesn't benefit the poor, but who causing the corruption? The pooyai's in the villages.

Sure, there is corruption at the elite end as well, but the poor need to look in their backyards and at their neighbours before coming to Bangkok to complain about it.

Yes, but since the coup... the pooyai's of the pooyai's in the administration centres and police/army have been replaced by centrally appointed people...

which is not a bad thing in a country with accountability...

or if you are the British in India back in the days of empire...

RPG fired at petrol depots in Pathum Thani

Culprits fired an rocket propelled grenade to PTT's petrol depots in Pathum Thani's Lumlukka district on Wednesday morning.

Police believed the attack was an attempt to stage a sabotage in the country.

Police found the RPG's components at the depots.

The attack caused a hole at the T410D depot which contained 22 million liters of oil. Luckily, officials could extinguish a small fire and sealed the hole in time before the fire extended.

At first, police believed that the culprits used an M-79 grenade.

This is getting more peaceful by the minute...

So the guerilla army that the Reds have been bragging about on stage is swinging into action. I'm sure we'll be hearing the red sympathizers here defending this soon enough. Can't wait to hear them... :)