Living In Thailand

eurasianthai

I know it is the best country to live in, according to some, but I'm just tired of living here.

I pay hundreds of thousand of Baht in taxes every year but I have no right.

Just the right to spend more.

And it is still a third world country, i.e. nothing works basically.

Well, I'm just tired.

And I'm sure most people will say, we just like it, you don't, just leave... :)

Leave the TV off.

Smoke a cigrette or drink a beer on the balcony.

Have an early night.

Ask the Mods to delete your post in the morning when you're feeling chirpier.

Living in Thailand, Thailand is the only country to live in, unless you want to leave. You could always take a holiday.

The tax rate here is not too bad; its frustrating that you and I are the only ones that pay the full whack, and now, not me either, but hopefully one day the collection will improve.

Go down to the local dai pai dong (don't know the Thai word) and eat some tasty food, a few beers, a laugh and a joke with people who don't understand a word you say.

Who cares if its the best place to live. Its where you live, its home, so why knock it unless you're going to leave?

I'd love to be back, but I'm not going to knock where I am now

SC

I pay hundreds of thousand of Baht in taxes every year but I have no right.

Just the right to spend more.

Unfortunately that is the case pretty well everywhere you live as an ex-pat.

I am British and I have also lost the right to a say back home, in the coming election, because I live overseas. :D

PS what will the wife say, if you up sticks?? :)

Her sister is married to an American guy and has lived there for the past 10 years.

This is quite common actually, Thai people prefer to live outside of Thailand.

And well, I'm starting to understand them...

There is no "best" place to live. Thailand is not for everyone. There are lots of frustrations and BS to endure, but we each have to decide for

ourselves if we want to endure it or not. I still enjoy living here, but if I ceased to enjoy, I would leave. Simple as that. The one piece of advise I gave myself (and freely give to others) is not to have unrealistic expectations, an do not invest more than you can afford to walk away from without damaging yourself too much financially. I have met lots of guys trying to live here on pretty meager budgets. They are very vulnerable in my view. I have also met lots of guys who have sunk their life savings into business ventures and houses in which they have very little control over. To me that is just nuts. I have met guys who have made the same bad decisions about women that they would probably make anywhere else, and then blame the country. It's not like there are not warnings out there. If a guy comes here on a retirement visa, with a decent income and no "baggage" he can live a pretty nice life here, and if he is smart enough to keep his options open, he can move on any time he chooses. The bottom line is that Thailand is just bulging at the seams with bitter, socially challenged misfits who have probably failed at just about everything they have tried and we get to hear from them all the time. If you come here for the right reasons, with a clean slate and you feel free to leave the same way, Thailand is just fine.

Anyhow I hope you feel more satisfied with life wherever you plan to go next... :)

Its where you live, its home, so why knock it unless you're going to leave?

SC

Well my company asked me to go to Shanghai and I sure consider the option.

Home Thailand? Not really.

By home I meant residence, not domicile.

The way I see it, after some years around, I have many homes; others might say homeless. Others again might say yuou only have one home. Whatever.

Maybe its time for a change, and its probably not a bad time to go to Shanghai.

Probably better not to leave with any particular bitter thoughts about Thailand, for fear that the next place is the same but worse...

Tell the company that you'd hate to leave Thailand, but for the benefit of the company I suppose we all have to make some sacrifices....

SC

There is no "best" place to live. Thailand is not for everyone. There are lots of frustrations and BS to endure, but we each have to decide for

ourselves if we want to endure it or not. I still enjoy living here, but if I ceased to enjoy, I would leave. Simple as that. The one piece of advise I gave myself (and freely give to others) is not to have unrealistic expectations, an do not invest more than you can afford to walk away from without damaging yourself too much financially. I have met lots of guys trying to live here on pretty meager budgets. They are very vulnerable in my view. I have also met lots of guys who have sunk their life savings into business ventures and houses in which they have very little control over. To me that is just nuts. I have met guys who have made the same bad decisions about women that they would probably make anywhere else, and then blame the country. It's not like there are not warnings out there. If a guy comes here on a retirement visa, with a decent income and no "baggage" he can live a pretty nice life here, and if he is smart enough to keep his options open, he can move on any time he chooses. The bottom line is that Thailand is just bulging at the seams with bitter, socially challenged misfits who have probably failed at just about everything they have tried and we get to hear from them all the time. If you come here for the right reasons, with a clean slate and you feel free to leave the same way, Thailand is just fine.

Anyhow I hope you feel more satisfied with life wherever you plan to go next... :D

Could the TV powers that be, pin this post somewhere at the top of the forum, with 'PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING' above it. It would save us all a lot of time reading the same, tired old drivel.

Nice post mate. :)

Anyhow I hope you feel more satisfied with life wherever you plan to go next... :D

Could the TV powers that be, pin this post somewhere at the top of the forum, with 'PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING' above it. It would save us all a lot of time reading the same, tired old drivel.

Nice post mate. :)

But not really relevant to current thread

SC

The bottom line is that Thailand is just bulging at the seams with bitter, socially challenged misfits who have probably failed at just about everything they have tried and we get to hear from them all the time.

Well, indeed, it seems the majority od the foreigners staying in Thailand are the misfits.

But being a misfit is not always bad... :)

Edited by eurasianthai

When you work for a company it is not always your option, but how well do your lovely wife and son (I looked at the blog) speak Chinese?

This is actually one of the incentive.

For my son to learn Chinese if we stay in Shanghai....

Meiyou wenti!

Zhui ni hao yun!

SC

Well then maybe it will work out for you just fine... I was last in Shanghai in 1990 and when I see photographs I can hardly recognize the place. If scenic beauty was the criteria as to where I would live (for places with which I am familiar and have spent time) I would be somewhere on Sumatra but not an easy place to live.

I used to say it is a very conservative place... no pre-marital relations. You have to marry the girl... but you can marry THREE.

Is Shanghai really going to be such an improvement over Thailand?? Will it not be more chaos and idiocy?

I'm not sure he's really looking for an improvement. A change is as good as a rest...

I had very specific reasons for my choices of move or otherwise; not always for the sake of the place, and sometimes, for reasons that would not be applicable to others.

Anyway, once again,

no problem!

Good luck!

SC

Well old chap....

My Choice of leaving Stalag UK (police state) was made by Tony B Liar and the Liebour party.

And although I have resdential and commercial properties in and around central London making me a multi-millionaire on paper

and enjoying not only a bumper time now interest rates are on 1/2 % also increased rental income because no one can afford to buy,

I have paid no tax for the past 4 years. on principle.

My advice to you is to get an accountant that is more dishonest.

YOu must be the most honest man on the planet if ,in this enviroment you are admitting profit....

Next time you have this problem...I am sure that the cost "getting your head tested' could be off against next years income tax.

If you have an accountannt that just gives the same allowances to every customer to keep things sweet then get rid.

Why are we here????

I dont drink...I have an educated wife so I dont go to bars or take prostitutes.

I certainly am not here for the disgusting beaches...

The car scene is absurdly regulated to the point of non-existance...so why am I here.

Well 70% of my village houses are for sale..I am about to put mine up also.

Unfortunately Pattaya and surrounds have become an over developed ,underplanned, dump

And I have many other places in my list to visit and live.

I am visiting some of these with my wife this summer with a view to moving..even if my property here falls derelict

Why does looking at Thai women

make your eyes go funny

post-105123-1272193623_thumb.jpg

Her sister is married to an American guy and has lived there for the past 10 years.

This is quite common actually, Thai people prefer to live outside of Thailand.

And well, I'm starting to understand them...

What & you're speaking on behalf of all 60m are you ?? :D

You're obviously not starting to understand them if that's what you think.

The bottom line is that Thailand is just bulging at the seams with bitter, socially challenged misfits who have probably failed at just about everything they have tried and we get to hear from them all the time.

Well, indeed, it seems the majority od the foreigners staying in Thailand are the misfits.

But being a misfit is not always bad... :)

Indeed, there are some colorful and charming misfits here... :D The ones I was referring to unfortunately form a sizable majority. They make bad life decisions, complain about everything, blame everybody else for their "situations". To get attention they get on forums like this and try to hijack every thread with silly one liners, insulting language and just plain nastiness. They contribute little or nothing to a debate but are always ready to knife anyone who does make the effort. It's really too bad.

You're obviously not starting to understand them if that's what you think.

Do you?

Absolutely not & i've long since given up as i, nor you, nor anyone else outside of their way of thinking & culture, ever will... :)

Is Shanghai really going to be such an improvement over Thailand?? Will it not be more chaos and idiocy?

I'm not sure he's really looking for an improvement. A change is as good as a rest...

Indeed :)

Take a bit of advice from someone who has lived most of his life as a gypsy, moving around based on work.....Shanghai...go for it....to add another old saying .......variety is the spice of life..

Have I hated some of the places I have ended up....Yes....would I go back to some of those places...No....did I ever regret going..No

You dont want to look back on this opportunity in few year time and wishing you had done it...

Where do you live, in a Condo in BKK ?

Yes, than it could get boring if you have no rights! Well don't expect Western things in Thailand much. If you are bored, go live upcountry and work in the field or get a farm or something. Or do some volunteering work, plenty to help the poor people yo!

It's not just shopping, bars, malls, and major cineplex/ SF cinema/ Bowling / Girls !

If you are bored, go live upcountry and work in the field or get a farm or something. Or do some volunteering work, plenty to help the poor people yo!

But dont forget you need a work permit...

Alot of volunteering or other " help poor people " programs will offer you a work permit.

If you are bored, go live upcountry and work in the field or get a farm or something. Or do some volunteering work, plenty to help the poor people yo!

But dont forget you need a work permit...

Alot of volunteering or other " help poor people " programs will offer you a work permit.

and a lot dont.. :)