Should I Make A Pre-nuptual Agreement With My Tg?

kunash

Hi, i am due to get engaged with my TG in October.   I know marriage is suppose to be about trust and love, and i do trust and love her.  But I own many properties in the UK, which i rent out with my mother.  She is not a BG, and has a respectable job. i will be living in thailand.

Should i protect my assets by making a pre-nup?

Are pre-nups recognised in a thai court?

if i ask her to sign a prenup maybe she will think i do not trust her.  My situation is different from a lot of people who marry TG's.  i have a lot more to lose.

any opinions welcome

Would you do the same with a Western fiancee (non-bar girl) ?

If the answer is "yes", then the answer is "yes".

yes i would, though in the UK prenuptual agreements are not legally binding.  i think a western lady would understand better, why i had to do it, maybe, maybe not, but i dont want to put any unnecessary doubts into my TG mind. ( about trust )

I doubt your situation is much different at all..

The only difference i'd guess would be the fact that you still have something to lose, there are thousands out there that dont' have that any more... :)

I personally think you need your bumps felt for even considering marrying one but you obviously know the situation better than i do of course, do not however give it all that " this is different " tripe as you'r enot no different, i don't know you from Adam but i've heard that hundreds of times & the people who think that are ALWAYS the one's that get doen the most, make of that what you will..

Use your brain, don't let you d*ck rule your head & you should be fine, i hope it works out for you..

Firstly, don't flatter yourself that you have more to lose than others. I dare say, compared to me it would be true, but certainly not others.

Secondly, wouldn't it be relevent weather the pre-nup law was recognised in the Uk, seeing as that is where your property is. I don't know for sure but I don't think it is.

Thirdly, if you are thinking about pre-nup, then she's not the girl for you, simple as.

yes i would, though in the UK prenuptual agreements are not legally binding. i think a western lady would understand better, why i had to do it, maybe, maybe not, but i dont want to put any unnecessary doubts into my TG mind. ( about trust )

Thais ? Doubts about trust ?

Incongruous.

PS - if in the UK try:-

http://www.pre-nuptial-agreement.co.uk/?gc...CFcpR6wod1Spbww

As long as the pre-nup does not conflict with existing law (e.g. denying a wife access to children) it should be OK

yes i would, though in the UK prenuptual agreements are not legally binding. i think a western lady would understand better, why i had to do it, maybe, maybe not, but i dont want to put any unnecessary doubts into my TG mind. ( about trust )

See, sorry but that makes no sense at all..

Why on Earth would you assume a Western Lady would understand it better & why on Earth would you not want to put any " unessecary doubts " into your Thai GF's head ( yet you wouldn't seem to mind doign so to a Western GF ) over somethign that is so obviosuly important to you ???

Makes no sense at all..

Why would the Western GF understand teh seriosuness of it all yet you dare not even bring it up with the Thai GF just in case it puts doubts in her head ??

In case the tears come, is that what your worried about ??

In case you " not good heart man " ??

In case she thinks it means you don't love her because you wnat to protect your assets that are so obviously important to you & your Mum ??

Mental, absolutely mental.

Sorry Fella but you need to think long & hard about all this & as i said previously, DO NOT let your d*ck rule your head.

Firstly, don't flatter yourself that you have more to lose than others. I dare say, compared to me it would be true, but certainly not others.

Thirdly, if you are thinking about pre-nup, then she's not the girl for you, simple as.

To true exactly my thoughts,

Don't ask here. Ask a Thai lawyer. There are too many cynics here and it's impossible to separate the legitimate replies from those who just want to relate personal experiences. Pre-nuptual agreements are not really binding anywhere if one of the parties decides to contest it. All they do is give a judge somewhere to start that will make it very expensive for the contesting spouse to over turn the agreement.

YES get a prenup unless you fall under any of several classifications such as are 'already poor as a church mouse' or ' "naive" is your middle name' or 'prematurely senile' or 'already a total loser at life' or 'desperate for love at all costs'. Any women that loves you for the right reasons and is not out for what you have does not need a legal financial guarantee as she still retains the right during your marriage to leave or divorce you at any time if you do not take care of her properly. Just remember that nothing in a prenup prevents you from giving her all your money or possessions while married or in a divorce but only prevents them from taking everything from you against your will. Also remember that a prenup can be mutually voided at anytime so a prenup is merely a document that prevents someone from taking advantage of someone for the wrong intentions.

:) I encountered a similiar thing with a friend of mine who is quite well off. I helped him inquire into a prenup. The problem is that because of the Language barrier, My attorney here in BKK recommended having a Thai Attorney in your home country if you can find one do the agreement in Thai and be explained in Thai. Altough he agreed it would probably not be very useful in the event it is needed. He mentioned the word "Bloodbath" because he was aware of my friends financila status.

My concern would be that in the event things go badly it would be very easy for any Thai woman to convince some Feminazi attorney or a court that she was this poor little innocent,uneducated Thai wowan from a third world country who was lied to and taken advantage of by some smooth talking sophisticated westerner. She would also claim she speaks and understands very little English and was tricked into signing the agreement.

I am by no means trying to discourage you or in any way indicate your fiance is a bad person. I myself am Happily married to a Thai for nearly ten years and have a daughter together. As a Thai Friend remarked at the time it was Ok for me to marry a Thai because I had"nothing" wheras the other guy was wealthy.

LL

I did, and there were no problems. It cost about 8-10K for all the translations and stamps to make it legal in Thailand. Have one in English and another in Thai.

That's what the trust of your life long partner is worth!! 8-10K!! Pathetic.

I was informed by my solicitor in the UK that if I do get married again that any and all property accrued to date by me could not be accessed by my new wife and it was mine to do with as I pleased. Anything acquired after that date or any increase in value after the marriage she could get 50% of.

Talk to a good divorce solicitor in the UK. Cheap enough to get basic advice. Then decide on a Pre-Nup.

The reality is that virtually any contract including a prenup can be challenged in court so that is the best reason to do your homework carefully in choosing a lawyer that writes the contract and that it covers your bases in both Thailand and your home country if you will possibly be living or have assets in both places. A divorce is usually the furthest thing from a person's mind when they get married however anyone that is worldly and not naive knows that sh*t happens occasionally, so if it does, it is better to be prepared for it. Divorce can be a very unhappy occasion however it is much easier to cope with it if you do not also wind up poor.

There is absolutely no doubt you should get a prenup. A marriage is every bit a financial contract as much as it is a romantic one. If your to be bride finds this insulting then she prob is not in it just for love. When I got married to a TG I got a prenup. I had to hire a Thai and an American lawyer to write it up and to read it to my wife, it also is written in both languages. My prenup is very fair and my wife understood that it was not meant to be mean spirited but to make sure everyone's motives for marriage are clear. What I did was exempt all assets I had already obtained going into the marriage from consideration as joint assets, I also protected any future inheritances I may get. I wrote a clause that if we divorce there will be no alimony. If either one of us racks up credit card debt or other debts it is our sole responsibility to resolve. I then wrote any monies or properties obtained from the day we are married on will be split 50/50 should we divorce. I felt this is fair because though I am the breadwinner she is very much my partner and I feel if she is investing in our marriage with her time and support she should get her fair share if we split, but at least I won't end up penniless nor will have to be locked into some type of endless ongoing support.

By the way this is not a dig against Thai women. I just feel historically men have a lot to lose going into a marriage without some type of contractual alterations.

Edited by wasabi

The reality is that virtually any contract including a prenup can be challenged in court so that is the best reason to do your homework carefully in choosing a lawyer that writes the contract and that it covers your bases in both Thailand and your home country if you will possibly be living or have assets in both places. A divorce is usually the furthest thing from a person's mind when they get married however anyone that is worldly and not naive knows that sh*t happens occasionally, so if it does, it is better to be prepared for it. Divorce can be a very unhappy occasion however it is much easier to cope with it if you do not also wind up poor.

Is that avatar really you??

The first thing on my mind would be to get a few more mirrors shipped in!

Listen. Contract this, lawyer that, pre-nup the other. You start a relationship in that frame of mind it has a 90% chance of failing.

Move on to the next relationship, and keep doing so until the pre-nup doesn't feel necessary. You then have at least a 50% chance of it lasting.

A bit of patience and you've gained 40%.

Another way of looking at it. If the women/man, is still happy to marry you, after you've told them that you want a pre-nup, then they obviously have very little respect for themselves, and I for one, wouldn't touch them with yours!

I just feel historically men have a lot to lose going into a marriage without some type of contractual alterations.

Here's one for you. Historically, men have entered marriages they shouldn't have entered.

Why not try and change history??

So when you, future divorcees, sit down with your calculators, which line of figures do the kids go on.

Ahh! maybe that's why most people have two! Anybody can devide two by two!

OP:

"Should i protect my assets by making a pre-nup?"

Yes.

Do NOT marry before you have arranged a prenuptial agreement, preferably drafted in the UK although it doesn't seem to have full legal standing.*

Anybody who advises you differently does not understand the importance of a prenuptial agreement*

It is to protect both sides and nobody who's about to be married can get a guarantee from whomever that a marriage will be successful forever, "until death do us part".

The prenup has to be drafted (also) in a language the other partner can read and understand and an official registered Interpreter (in her/his language) is necessary.

Good luck.

* http://www.prenuptialagreementsuk.co.uk/fa...reements-uk.php

LaoPo

It is to protect both sides

So how many times does the partner without any money ask to have one drawn up??

Protect both sides my arse.

It's to protect wealthy people loosing their money, which sub contiously, (probabaly not so sub) they value more than the person they're marrying. Which is why half of all marriages end in divorce.

Bullox

love is love, and bussines is business - and love has nothing to do with business (this is why so many blokes get the short end of the stick in Thialand - they confuse love with a business tansaction).

Protect your business as you should regardless of who your partner is.

Folks who talk sh*t like the above are the same folks who will later slam you with more <deleted> post should things eventually go sour with you and the future wife - saying you should have known better - and you should.

No matter who the person or the amount of trust, you need to be covered from a legal point of view.....................

No amount of love will help you get back what she tries to take should things go south.

Protect yourself now - so you don't havet to worry about it later...

If you are thinking of a prenup then:

A) You have more wealth than most of the nuts here on TV

:) You are till thinking with the head you should be thinking with.

You can’t do a prenuptial agreement in Thailand unless you are actually and legally married.

Common law relationships are not recognised under Thai law, so in fact whatever assets, business, monies, property and vehicles etc, etc, etc, you put into your girlfriend’s name, under Thai law could be regarded as a gift.

Also keep in mind what you are allowed to own in Thailand and what you cannot own in Thailand under the law here. This means that if you put something in your girlfriend`s name or even when married, you may not have a claim if ownership for a Farang is prohibited.

In the UK common law relationships are considered the same as an actual marriage and your girlfriend, in the case of a split, has the same rights as any married woman and can lay claim to a share of your assets.

Tread carefully here and if not sure, seek the advice of a professional lawyer. That’s in Thailand and the UK.

Edited by BigWheelMan