Can Someone Please Help Me...?

brianofnazareth

Hi all,

I recently finished building a large house on 3 rai of land near the city. The whole exercise has cost me about 12 million baht and all the money came from my account abroad.

My Thai wife says that she wants me to pay her rent to live in the house because the house and land is in her name. She is charging me 40,000 baht per month.

Do you think this is fair? What can I do about it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

My advice: burn the house and get a divorce....

Seriously; I don't think there's much you can do, since both the land and house are in her name. I guess it'll come down to pay up or get out (I would pick the last one).

May be too late but a superfice on the land is better than a lease. The house is then in your name and you have a right to remain on the land for the agreed term or life.

If this is not a windup then an usufruct would be the way to go. FYI, Usufruct = lifetime right of habitation with your name listed on the chanote. Could be her call as how long "lifetime" means though...... ;-)

Cheers,

Pikey.

You've been scammed by the oldest scam in Thailand. You should have talked to a lawyer first. You should talk to one now. Why would you act on any advice given by anonymous strangers?

Edited by FRK

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun BrianofNazareth,

As we think ThaiPauly hints at, we do wonder if this post might be a jape.

If the situation is real : we'll violate our principle of never giving advice (John Ruskin : "the worst form of vice is: advice"), and suggest :

1. move out, asap, taking what you can, and re-locate to a city far from Chiang Mai. Leave no forwarding address and change your mobile phone number.

2. get a good attorney who's not in Chiang Mai (PM us if you want a referral to a very well-connected American attorney practicing in Bangkok for over 12 years).

3. break off all contact with wife and family except through some intermediary who will not disclose where you are.

4. particularly if you take legal action : watch your back, and use paranoia : farangs get killed under "mysterious circumstances" like this frequently here in the gentle sweet peaceful land of smiles.

5. if you really want to throw the dice on your chances of living much longer, hire a Chiang Mai attorney and get ready to pay major bribes to certain officials.

We recommend step #1~3 asap.

good luck, ~o:37;

If this is not a windup, I cannot believe anyone would get in 12 million baht and not know beforehand what the arrangements would be and have them documented.

Get a lawyer. If you paid for the house and land, you should be paying very low or no rent. But probably too late for that now.

As PT Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute"

You have bought a house for a woman you may or may not like.

Be happy that you have joined the ''Rod Stewart former homeowners club'

(I have already joined the club but was living in the UK at the time)

PS

12 million bht for a house near CM is quite a lot

A luxury 4 bed house on CoolpuntVille 9 can be had for 3 million bht.

Can we assume your wife arranged the prices for all the building work and materials?

PPS

Orang speaks truth.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Pay the first 40,000 rent and advertise at all the places of ill repute, " free lodging available " and throw in transport if needed.Tell the missus you are having a sleepover with some of your friends, invite some male friends, to your BYOB party and prepare for a grand time.

advertise at all the places of ill repute, " free lodging available " and throw in transport if needed.Tell the missus you are having a sleepover with some of your friends, invite some male friends, to your BYOB party and prepare for a grand time.

Any advice right? :)

Advertise for free lodging with aircon with opportunity to swim and play for the two and more legged ones. Then complain it's hard to find a maid.

:D :D :D

There was a time when 12 million could buy a house AND a loyal wife. Sigh...those were the days.

i could invest 12 million and get alot more joy from the proceeds :)

I know what you mean; I once had a life like that.