Hua Hin Busy Now?

SantiSuk

Am planning a long weekend in Hua Hin this weekend. It suddenly occurred to me that perhaps the town is full of refugees from Khao San Road/Sukhumvit.

Does anyone have a feel for the present availability of mid-range accommodation - normally at this time of year I would have no problems as a walk-in guest for 4 nights, even on Friday night and in the central ish area.

[will go hashing if there is a run]

Just heard from a friend who tried to book a room at VERANDA RESORT (in between Cha Am and Hua Hin) and they claim that they are fully booked. I guess we will see a lot of Chinese and Japanese next week as they also have a long holiday.

Might be better to make sure you have a bed before you drive down.

I heard that the Dusi Thani is fully booked as well. I don't think the problem is Khao San road refugees though. This is the summer break for schools and a lot of Bangkok Thai families are coming to Hua Hin and Cha-Am for their holidays. Also, be aware that this coming weekend is the Honda Summer Fest and last year that drew a crowd of over one hundred thousand (the population of Hua Hin is only 85,000) so if you are talking about this weekend you might be out of luck. This event is mainly a Thai oriented music event as you can see from the adverts - http://talk.edtguide.com/tag/honda-summer-fest-2010 and the town will be full of young Thai people from Bangkok. Also, the traffic and Thai restaurants will be inundated. I plan to stock up with beer and just stay in the house from noon Friday until Monday afternoon! :)