Sodium Nitrate, Sodium Nitrate And Molasses Sources

Keen to start up bacon, ham and sausage production but finding NaNO2 and NaNO3 is a stumbling block here in Sisaket. Does anyone have a nearby source?

I also produce a molassas cured bacon but need to locate a sugar mill nearby to control the cost of purchase. Small jars often enough for small quantities of bacon but are expensive. Larger volumes aren't a problem as I can use it as supplemental feed for the pigs. Again, any soucing suggestions are welcome.

Isaanaussie

Sorry, I can't be too much help here but I thought I would share the little I know:

I know a guy who cures his own bacon in the south and he gets his nitrites shipped over from the US. He said he wasn't able to source it in Thailand, so good luck! Also, I've heard that the molasses readily available in Thailand is typically not suitable for human consumption due to it's sulfur content. It is typically used as a fertilizer.

This is just what I've heard, and not first-hand experience but I thought it might be helpful non-the-less.

Sorry, I can't be too much help here but I thought I would share the little I know:

I know a guy who cures his own bacon in the south and he gets his nitrites shipped over from the US. He said he wasn't able to source it in Thailand, so good luck! Also, I've heard that the molasses readily available in Thailand is typically not suitable for human consumption due to it's sulfur content. It is typically used as a fertilizer.

This is just what I've heard, and not first-hand experience but I thought it might be helpful non-the-less.

Thanks Daren,

There are sources for nitrite and nitrate in Bangkok, mostly imported from China. You are correct that some grades of molasses is used in fertiliser but not all. "A", "B" and "C" grades are produced by the refiners normally as well several other by-products. I do not know enough about what is produced here and where that happens. Experience tells you have to visit the plant to check and ensure you get what you want not what they think you need, ie. what they produce. I know there are locally made molasses based animal feed supplements on the market, so hopefully someone will know more detail than me and can fill me in.

Isaanaussie

I buy potassium nitrate from the Chinese chemist here in CM for making corned beef, understand it works in salami also.. You may want to consider this if you have problems on source of sodium nitrate.

I buy potassium nitrate from the Chinese chemist here in CM for making corned beef, understand it works in salami also.. You may want to consider this if you have problems on source of sodium nitrate.

Correct KNO3 known as salt peter or petre is used for curing meats. Thanks for the though. I am going to try to buy some locally here as I suddenly remembered the the same stuff is used making fireworks. Must be getting old..... :)

Hello IsaanAussie, I looked at the co I posted for boric acid,

borax and lime for making masa on T-V, catalog in the Korat

store on friday and they have sodium nitrate, 450grm box around

Bt 105., but not the nitrite. the BKK office may know more.

As I walked up the soi to get a song-tao I went by this place.

Try www.yellowpages.co.th for sugar/molasses.

This place get is supply from Phimai, also sugar mill in KK may

also have, don't know if it's food grade.

rice555

post-37242-1273429220_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1273429432_thumb.jpg

Rice,

Thanks for the tip. I have located salt petre and will give that a try. The sodium nitrite is still proving more elusive. Will definitely try the yellow pages for molasses. Again thanks, if you are in my area, drop for some bacon and eggs.

Isaanaussie

Nitrates or Nitrites can be found anywhere they make "naem", which I believe is all over Thailand.

Else, you can try PureChem (www.purechem.net)

Molasses is not necessary for good bacon/ham - and in my opinion, it has too strong a flavor.

Try brown sugar, or dark brown if that is your preference.

Nitrates or Nitrites can be found anywhere they make "naem", which I believe is all over Thailand.

Else, you can try PureChem (www.purechem.net)

Molasses is not necessary for good bacon/ham - and in my opinion, it has too strong a flavor.

Try brown sugar, or dark brown if that is your preference.

Brown sugar, sounds good. Found some salt petre in the local Thai wholesale supermarket. Sold it the wife readily but when I asked some time ago Mai Mee. Reason they are dead scared of getting knicked by the BIB, fireworks and more recently bomb connections.

Edited by IsaanAussie

The Thai Name for the (Sodium) Nitrate/Nitrite family is "Dinprasiw". (ดินประสิว).

It an be found in local markets. Just ask anyone making Naam. (That red fermented pork). I bought a 500g bag for about 100B from memory - you will have to experiment with it because you may never really be sure whether it is nitrate (good for dry curing) or nitrite (submersion curing).

Good luck & watch out you don't poison yourself by using too much nitrate. (Could just order "prague" powder online???) :)

Good luck finding Prague Powder online here in Thailand.

Many have tried on this forum... I dont think it is available.

What you get locally is likely to be 100% pure. To make it equivalent to Prague Powder, mix it 16:1 with clean sea salt (16 being salt). Then you can use it exactly in the same proportions as Prague for recipes that call for "Prague" or "Instacure" brands.

What you get locally is likely to be 100% pure. To make it equivalent to Prague Powder, mix it 16:1 with clean sea salt (16 being salt). Then you can use it exactly in the same proportions as Prague for recipes that call for "Prague" or "Instacure" brands.

Chefheat,

I used royalcoffee-phuket DOT com before, but they seem to be closed now. I also know that a member here called "slackjawchef" has a little side business selling this stuff. Maybe worth contacting him.

Chefheat,

I used royalcoffee-phuket DOT com before, but they seem to be closed now. I also know that a member here called "slackjawchef" has a little side business selling this stuff. Maybe worth contacting him.

Thanks, but I'm well-supplied for my needs with several kilos of 100% pure sodium nitrite, that I obtained from PureChem.

Chefheat,

Royalcoffee moved to a new location in Phuket!

• 11 months later...

I went to the purechem.net website. It's definitely the right site as it's a thai company. There is no mention of them selling any sodium nitrate at all.

I only seeing sweeteners now on their product list.

Have they recently switched over to this new market?

Chefheat,

Thanks, but I'm well-supplied for my needs with several kilos of 100% pure sodium nitrite, that I obtained from PureChem.