Bored In Sakon

consnabit

Gentlemen, fellow mongers, and displaced adventurers.

After a year up here, I desperately need some diversion from village life. If any of you have similar withdrawal pains from civilization, please feel free to contact me to discuss anything from soup to nuts. I was an avid sportsman, tennis player, golfer, motorcycle racer and auto racer as well as a fair to middling card player. In a year, I have raced down every blacktop and pig track in Isaan, run rampant in Laos, and discussed many sundry items of importance to the human race with my resident quai, puppy dog and chickens. They listen attentively but have little to offer in rebuttal. I tried to teach my brood, hearts, spades and poker. They prefer lunch.

PM me if you have any plans to go east, west, north or south for a week, month , day,m and need some irreverent company. Don't get me wrong, I love my T/wife of near five years, her good cooking and all that other wonderful stuff.

I know exactly what you mean, I have been here for 7 months (Isaan) and I have nick-named our (small) village Baan Nothing or Baan Boring.

Have a very beautiful wife (for 9 years), love her to pieces and although I speak a little Thai/Put Thai she's about the only one I can talk to.

Get a bit bored by talking to our dogs (I do!) because the farmers over here are what they are.. simple farmers and conversation stops after

'pai nai/pai sileu?' and 'kin kauw niauw?'. I do escape to Bangkok from time to time, have a friend over there and we talk & talk and hit the

bars at night. Need to vent my frustration once in a while. After that, I'm ok for a couple of weeks...

I'm near Mukdahan not so far from Sakon Nakhon!

I am for the moment thinking of going to Sakon Nakorn via van for the first time to delivery my maid's sister to their home. She needs to go home for awhile, might want to take a few things along. Would be good to have a van and driver for a period of 4 days to take the round trip.

Would appreciate pointers to find the best value to achieve this trip. May want to go this weekend, I live in Bangkok. Looking now for information for immediate plans.

Thank you all.....cheers

After a year up here

what took so long ?

ps how do u guys live, not even in the middle, but on the outskirts of nowhere ?

Well.To live up here is Only for the "ironmen"

Love It !

I do not live in Sakon but have a nice house one minute drive outside citycenter.

When in Thailand I stay there most of the time and also love it.

I am for the moment thinking of going to Sakon Nakorn via van for the first time to delivery my maid's sister to their home. She needs to go home for awhile, might want to take a few things along. Would be good to have a van and driver for a period of 4 days to take the round trip.

Would appreciate pointers to find the best value to achieve this trip. May want to go this weekend, I live in Bangkok. Looking now for information for immediate plans.

Thank you all.....cheers

About 10K baht for a rt with 4 days, minimum. Just too much for a delivery. there is about two days things to see in and around here, but that's it. don't waste your time and money. Put her on the night bus vip for 700 baht from Mochit.

I know exactly what you mean, I have been here for 7 months (Isaan) and I have nick-named our (small) village Baan Nothing or Baan Boring.

Have a very beautiful wife (for 9 years), love her to pieces and although I speak a little Thai/Put Thai she's about the only one I can talk to.

Get a bit bored by talking to our dogs (I do!) because the farmers over here are what they are.. simple farmers and conversation stops after

'pai nai/pai sileu?' and 'kin kauw niauw?'. I do escape to Bangkok from time to time, have a friend over there and we talk & talk and hit the

bars at night. Need to vent my frustration once in a while. After that, I'm ok for a couple of weeks...

pm if you want company, next rip to bk, I have wheels. I have been over your way 3 times. Nice view

After a year up here

what took so long ?

ps how do u guys live, not even in the middle, but on the outskirts of nowhere ?

Hi Gents, and ladies. My wife and I will relocate to Nong Sung near Khan Kor by the end of June. Perhaps you can break up some of your boredom by assisting me in my move. Some of my challenges are: I DESPERATELY want internet in Nong Sung. Want a moving company to move furniture from BKK to Isaan including a motorbike. Am interested in cable - the wife LOVES to watch tennis. I also would like to find a builder but will be renting until we get something built. I love to "tinker" and probably want to re-start my collection of tools and possibly an old "junker" to fix up. Had antique motorcycles back in USA. Probably will need to figure out how to have money sent from USA W/OUT being gouged by local banks. Any pointers/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'll probably be "cruzin" around on my little Phantom when up there- have a GPS b/c I'm prone to get lost :-)

Cheers,

Keoki

Hi Gents, and ladies. My wife and I will relocate to Nong Sung near Khan Kor by the end of June. Perhaps you can break up some of your boredom by assisting me in my move. Some of my challenges are: I DESPERATELY want internet in Nong Sung. Want a moving company to move furniture from BKK to Isaan including a motorbike. Am interested in cable - the wife LOVES to watch tennis. I also would like to find a builder but will be renting until we get something built. I love to "tinker" and probably want to re-start my collection of tools and possibly an old "junker" to fix up. Had antique motorcycles back in USA. Probably will need to figure out how to have money sent from USA W/OUT being gouged by local banks. Any pointers/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'll probably be "cruzin" around on my little Phantom when up there- have a GPS b/c I'm prone to get lost :-)

Cheers,

Keoki

Can't help with the tools or junker, but satellite dish (TRUE or ?) is the only option to cable TV. Internet; There is DSL, CAT and EDGE (AIS and DTAC). DSL may not be an option in your particular area. CAT should be. And if you have a mobile phone signal, EDGE should work. Downside of CAT and EDGE is speed. CAT is best for me, DTAC second and AIS the slowest of the bunch. CAT and EDGE will not even resemble the speeds you had in the US.

As for transferring funds, I recommend opening a 'savings account' with combined ATM and debit card. Kasikorn Bank and Bangkok Bank have worked well for me. Do dollar transfers. Give the banking codes to your originating banks and make sure they transfer dollars. The exchange rate here in TL will be better than if you buy Bt in the US.

Can't help with a builder but suggest that you devour the self build forum here in TV as well as CoolThaiHouse .. and believe every horror story you read. Proceed with utmost caution. Strange things happen here in TL. And just because a "real estate person" is a farang doesn't mean squat .. actually, it may mean that the hosing you get will be more severe.

Cheers,

Keoki

Can't help with the tools or junker, but satellite dish (TRUE or ?) is the only option to cable TV. Internet; There is DSL, CAT and EDGE (AIS and DTAC). DSL may not be an option in your particular area. CAT should be. And if you have a mobile phone signal, EDGE should work. Downside of CAT and EDGE is speed. CAT is best for me, DTAC second and AIS the slowest of the bunch. CAT and EDGE will not even resemble the speeds you had in the US.

As for transferring funds, I recommend opening a 'savings account' with combined ATM and debit card. Kasikorn Bank and Bangkok Bank have worked well for me. Do dollar transfers. Give the banking codes to your originating banks and make sure they transfer dollars. The exchange rate here in TL will be better than if you buy Bt in the US.

Can't help with a builder but suggest that you devour the self build forum here in TV as well as CoolThaiHouse .. and believe every horror story you read. Proceed with utmost caution. Strange things happen here in TL. And just because a "real estate person" is a farang doesn't mean squat .. actually, it may mean that the hosing you get will be more severe.

Hi Klikster, thanks for the info. So now I understand we can get a dish thru True. Now you mentioned internet. Would I/we connect true "air card"? My mobile phone connects well in Nong Sung using 1,2, Call. I've been looking at mobile internet units at Pantip Plaza; not sure which to get???? I wonder if any of them are good enough to download videos ???? I've been in BKK for 5 yrs so I am rather "accustomed" to how crappy the service is here. Don't even want to think what other countries offer.

Thanks for the transfer tips i.e. dollars. My bank in Hawaii is SO LAME they don't even offer transfer of funds option. GEEZE So in this way Thailand is really ahead of HI. LOL But not Phila :-) I'm checkin out Citi bank -online...... I just don't want to get "beat up" when transferring funds on a regular basis to Thailand. I now bank w/ Kasikorn bank and it seems like they charge me for EVERYTHING. LOL money in=charge; money out = charge.LOL what a system.

My wife's "cousin" is a builder and gave us a decent quote for a house, but he's too busy :-) I have a friend who built custom homes in USA. He recently relocated here but not sure if he wants to "work"

I guess all tools ought to be purchased in BKK eh?

I'm pretty sure I'll "stumble" onto some junker - sooner or later. I have been taking things apart and putting them back together my entire life :-)

And I have already seen horror stories a/b builders et al... Thailand really has some scammers eh?

I think you are located a/b ??? 2 hrs drive from where we'll be????

cheers

Keoki

Hi Klikster, thanks for the info. So now I understand we can get a dish thru True. Now you mentioned internet. Would I/we connect true "air card"? My mobile phone connects well in Nong Sung using 1,2, Call. I've been looking at mobile internet units at Pantip Plaza; not sure which to get???? I wonder if any of them are good enough to download videos ????

Hi Keoki,

For AIS and DTAC, you can buy the modem and use your own SIM card. I originally tried to use a SIM card without having an "account" and it didn't work.

For CAT, contact them directly. I signed up for a year at Bt 7,000 and 700/mo and get 3 months free. It is considerably faster than EDGE .. but fast enough to download movies, not sure. Best I have seen was 1 meg.

cheers

Keoki

Right now I'm living in the state of "flux". :)

In KK on a temp basis and looking around. I like Phetchabun, Chiyaphum, Mukdahan better. Actually, I'm just about the opposite of most of the posts here. I'm kind of a semi-hermit who like it quiet .. and mynah birds and cats. :D

Anyone who like to stay in Sakon Nakhon??

Yes I like it. Not the most exciting place around but if you are after that go to Bangkok or Pattaya. Internet-I use a mobile phone and EDGE. UBC True visions telly. Selftaopath you do the same as me, a bit of spannering, passes the time nicely. A few decent tool shops in Sakon and if you are stuck a Tool Pro in Udon. Only things I couldn't get here were a compression gauge, oil pressure tester and vernier calipers in 0.05mm increment so might want to get them in US. Helps if like klikster you are a semi-hermit who likes it quiet. Really need to learn a modicum of Thai or Loas.

As for builders ask around. See what they have done previously and any reputable local builders. Try to keep out of sight as much as possible, let missey do the talking and report back to you. Took 18 months to build mine.

Hi Klikster, thanks for the info. So now I understand we can get a dish thru True. Now you mentioned internet. Would I/we connect true "air card"? My mobile phone connects well in Nong Sung using 1,2, Call. I've been looking at mobile internet units at Pantip Plaza; not sure which to get???? I wonder if any of them are good enough to download videos ????

Hi Keoki,

For AIS and DTAC, you can buy the modem and use your own SIM card. I originally tried to use a SIM card without having an "account" and it didn't work.

For CAT, contact them directly. I signed up for a year at Bt 7,000 and 700/mo and get 3 months free. It is considerably faster than EDGE .. but fast enough to download movies, not sure. Best I have seen was 1 meg.

cheers

Keoki

Right now I'm living in the state of "flux". :)

In KK on a temp basis and looking around. I like Phetchabun, Chiyaphum, Mukdahan better. Actually, I'm just about the opposite of most of the posts here. I'm kind of a semi-hermit who like it quiet .. and mynah birds and cats. :D

I wonder which mobile internet has the fastest and most reliable service. Re: semi-hermit... I can occupy myself quite well and LOVE quiet. I can "tinker" for hours, e.g. fix things, build things etc. And if I can surf the web/download things like "Nurse Jackie" watch a bit of the news/tennis, read etc. I'm enjoying myself. Of course I do like chatting w/ English speaking people but am not a "party guy." Been there done that. Geeze maybe I've turned into a geezer and didn't realize it. LOL

Anyone who like to stay in Sakon Nakhon??

Yes I like it. Not the most exciting place around but if you are after that go to Bangkok or Pattaya. Internet-I use a mobile phone and EDGE. UBC True visions telly. Selftaopath you do the same as me, a bit of spannering, passes the time nicely. A few decent tool shops in Sakon and if you are stuck a Tool Pro in Udon. Only things I couldn't get here were a compression gauge, oil pressure tester and vernier calipers in 0.05mm increment so might want to get them in US. Helps if like klikster you are a semi-hermit who likes it quiet. Really need to learn a modicum of Thai or Loas.

As for builders ask around. See what they have done previously and any reputable local builders. Try to keep out of sight as much as possible, let missey do the talking and report back to you. Took 18 months to build mine.

Hi, not sure what spannering is. Is that like "tinkering" (US slang)? Ya know I just love tools. A friend of mine in BKK took me to China town - tool section. OH MAN. I was in my "glory." I feel somewhat naked here in BKK. I mean I don't even have a compressor!! LOL Don't think I want to do any "major rebuild" jobs on a motorcycle or car. Maybe just stick to easy things like bolts/nuts/nails etc :-) I think my days of using "plastic guage" etc are over. ????

I'd like to learn Laos/Thai but my memory sucks. My wife's got to say something a/b???? 10,000 times for the word to sink in :-) LOL :-( Glad she has a good memory and speaks can now Speak English much much better than when we first met.

We know an "engineer" LOL - the Thai term cracks me up- but he seems really really slow OR busy???? I think I can do in a day what most in her mooban can do in a month. ????? Guess my upbringing was different. Being a Structural Ironworker in Phila really taught me how to hustle.

Cheers, neighbors :-)

Keoki

Like most of you I live a "quiet" (very few farangs around) existence in a small village. I have a TOT broadband connection and have seen 1.5 Mb usually, no lightning bolt but OK. Had to pay for the cable at 7baht a metre after the first 500 metres. Modem free, includes a phone and package is around 850 a month. True Gold package for the television and listen to the music channels as much as watch the TV.

Been occupying myself with building a pig sty for the last 18 months and "playing" with the tractor.

Most frustrating thing is getting anyone to attempt anything differently or how I like it to be done.

All in all, we are here out of choice, aren't we....?

Oh, yeah I have most of the toys, compressor, welders, drop saw, grinders, drills, radial saws, pedestal drill and router etc, etc. No reason to be bored. Where else can you build anything you like, how ever and where ever you like?

Bet you have all heard this before "Up to you"

Isaanaussie

Like most of you I live a "quiet" (very few farangs around) existence in a small village. I have a TOT broadband connection and have seen 1.5 Mb usually, no lightning bolt but OK. Had to pay for the cable at 7baht a metre after the first 500 metres. Modem free, includes a phone and package is around 850 a month. True Gold package for the television and listen to the music channels as much as watch the TV.

Been occupying myself with building a pig sty for the last 18 months and "playing" with the tractor.

Most frustrating thing is getting anyone to attempt anything differently or how I like it to be done.

All in all, we are here out of choice, aren't we....?

Oh, yeah I have most of the toys, compressor, welders, drop saw, grinders, drills, radial saws, pedestal drill and router etc, etc. No reason to be bored. Where else can you build anything you like, how ever and where ever you like?

Bet you have all heard this before "Up to you"

Isaanaussie

Isaanaussie - u da man (tool man) COOL!!! Did you get them in Isaan? Where in Isaan are you? We'll be near Khon Khor.

So you have TOT internet? Am I understanding you correctly? WOW. That is GREAT NEWS. I called True - a month ago - and they said "no coverage" up there????? I think I have a gold package in BKK and True has a new promotion for Bt 550 a month; down from Bt 850.

And yea I like building what I want when I want. I lived in HI for a/b 10 yrs. Geeze couldn't put a stick in the ground w/out a permit/inspection etc. They wanted to not allow a third floor addition b/c two posts on the rail enclosing the lanai were 1/8 of an inch too wide.....

Thanks for letting me know I can get a land line w/ internet. That's GREAT news.

Cheers,

Keoki

After a year up here

what took so long ?

Cheers,

Keoki

Partnah, If you know what plastigauge is, you are way over the top for Isaan. Where the hel_l is KhanKor ? Finding rentals other than short time hotels aint easy up here.

I can build your house using my crew, supervised by an English speaking Thai if you are not too far away. Moving one pick up load from Bangkok is 5000 baht. bigger hard to locate truck.

Keoki

Partnah, If you know what plastigauge is, you are way over the top for Isaan. Where the hel_l is KhanKor ? Finding rentals other than short time hotels aint easy up here.

I can build your house using my crew, supervised by an English speaking Thai if you are not too far away. Moving one pick up load from Bangkok is 5000 baht. bigger hard to locate truck.

Thanks, did lotsa things back "in the day." One of the most "fun" projects was building a 45" HD outta a basket. The side shift and suicide clutch was a blast. Took some practice when starting from a dead stop on a hill however - 1st few times - bc the front brake was on the right along with throttle (if I remember correctly) AND no way could I keep on the foot brake and clutch at the same time :-) LOL what a blast. The 1st time was a real "eye opener." lol

OK so would you PM me a/b taking building. Nong Sung is off Route 2389 and South of Khon Kaen and North of Kaeng Khlo. Where are you located?

I need a typical size (American) moving truck. We have office furniture and apt furniture to move.

Thanks,

Keoki

Well if you ever feel like a good feed then you can come to Mukdahan, You can check us out under- New Restaurant in Mukdahan for Foreigners in this forum. There are both pictures and the Menu as well as directions to find us, I hope to meet you, Regards Don. :)

Thanks for the transfer tips i.e. dollars. My bank in Hawaii is SO LAME they don't even offer transfer of funds option. GEEZE So in this way Thailand is really ahead of HI. LOL But not Phila :-) I'm checkin out Citi bank -online...... I just don't want to get "beat up" when transferring funds on a regular basis to Thailand. I now bank w/ Kasikorn bank and it seems like they charge me for EVERYTHING. LOL money in=charge; money out = charge.LOL what a system.

I have Citibank online in the states and BKK Bank here. BKK bank has a branch in NY as well. When I move $$ from citi to bkk I'm charged domestic transfer to NY bank not international. Use your BKK acct number and transfer to BKK bank in NY with your Thai acct number. Funds will end up in BKK bank. Transfer dollars, BKK will convert to Baht

Low cost and effective.