High Temp Paint.. That Works

I repainted my headers last year.. Using high temp engine paint, rated to 500 C.. They instantly went white.

I pulled them again, and found some high temp 1000 degree C, claiming it was suited to chimney, furnaces, exhausts, etc.. This has lasted a couple of months but already the top bend has gone grey / white..

Is there a high temp paint product I can get that will stay black ?? Is there a solution to this ??

I know I could go for a ceramic coat, but the value of the bike makes that a bit silly.. I could try exhaust wrap, but I think it looks ugly and reckon wrapping the 4 into 1 in a way that didnt look awful would be quite tough.

Should I just ignore the problem and ride ?

Well if 1000 degree paint doesn't work, and ceramic is $$$, forget it.

Header wrap retains water and leads to rust unless you have Titanium headers.

Maybe chrome it, but I'd imagine chrome in Thailand doesn't last long either.

I'd just leave it alone.

That was '1000 degree paint' as per the Thai labelling.. Sold in a Thai hardware store..

I mean somehow they are painted.. There must be paint for it.. Just looking for some kind of quality brand, or even a western brand..

I bought high heat resistance spay bottles from Rustoleum at home pro.They had them available in silver and matt black color.I bought the silver one and sprayed the engine of my roadstar with it.It didn't change color or came of.

I see, that makes sense, the Thais probably meant 100 degree paint.

Anyway search the web but these seem helpful.

Problem is its going to be impossible to airmail a compressed can of paint from the US, but maybe you can get a regular paint can of something mailed.

Or maybe somewhere in Singapore carries these brands.

http://www.jegs.com/p/PJ1/VHT-FlameProof-H...749303/10002/-1

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/exhaust-a...amic-paint.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/exhaust/...ader-paint.html

There is a guy in Surin (Mr. Moo) who makes Custom Bikes and always sprays his engines (sometimes two colours fading into one) to match the bike.

I am told that the Bikes I have seen, are over 3 years old and still look like new paint jobs.

Although I do not know what he uses, something here must be available from what I have seen.

PJ1 high temp paint has a good name for exhausts although that VHT stuff ttakata posted a link to is gaining popularity especially in Classic Motorcycle Mechanics magazine rebuilds. Smooth Hammerite aerosol gives a good engine finish and lasts. Will need someone to take them over though.

All depends on what the goal is.

VHT paint does a fine job, but will need touch up from time to time from tool (spanner) marks if you are not careful.

Proper double chroming works wonders. Will even hide the rust until falls apart from corrosion.

Since the headers are used there will normally be an additional fee to clean them before they get treated (even if ceramic coated).

Never had call for chrome of high temp paint anything in LOS yet. My contacts tell me that they have ceramic work done outside of the country (maybe to get the right quality for thier products).

Richco Powdercoating in CM did my header a couple of years ago in ceramic. Mine turned a bit off black but still looks OK. The problem is that it has a very short shelf life and as demand is low Richie was thinking of dropping this product. You should give him a ring

His oven is not hot enough to cook the ceramic and it needs to be finished on the bike. During this period is is susceptible to scratching, and staining with oil so be careful. Once cooked off it is pretty tough.

He does not have a wand do do inside the tubes and can coat the outside only.

The headers will need to be sandblasted before coating, so do so before trying a spray bomb if doing it yourself. Richco can do this for you.

I bought some 1200 F paint at Lanna Screw in CM. It does not say what it is but at this temp is may be silica ceramic. Have not tried it yet so no report as of yet. I did buy similar stuff in Canada from VHT and used it on sandblasted car headers and it stood up fine.

If Richco does not do ceramic anymore, just get them blasted and try this 1200 F paint

That 1200F paint might work.. Does it have a brand name ??

Ideally thats what I am hunting, a 'real' product in Thailand, as I suspect the products I pick up in basic Thai hardware stores are just cheap hence the quality.

LOS,

Depending where you are.

Just a thought but what about a call to the Bar-B-Que shop they must use or sell the same thing?

Failing that I'd do what Basjke did and look in HomePro for Rustoleum. Sadly anything car/bike related and aerosol seems to be outrageously expensive here

Edited by VocalNeal

The last paint I used was for BBQ's.. Tho I think a normal BBQ faces less heat than the first bend of the headers..

Will keep hunting and see if I can find those brands mentioned.. Check homepro..

Thanks

We have this product in Oz. A local company is licensed to sell it. http://www.speco.com.au/vht_flameproof.html#flameproof

VHTflame.jpg

VHT FlameProof Coating will renew and extend the life of any surface exposed to extremely high temperatures. This unique coating is a matte finish, ceramic base silicone widely used by the automotive industry on exhaust systems and the aerospace industry for jet engines, re-entry vehicles, the Stealth fighter, B-2 bomber and other high temperature applications. VHT FlameProof Coating will withstand temperatures up to 1500ºF (815ºC) and is ideal for use on boilers, hot water pipes, exhaust systems, franklin stoves, heaters, barbecues, furnaces or wherever an extreme temperature coating is needed (* indicates colours that may fade at 1200ºF/648ºC). VHT Flameproof Coating only attains its unique properties after correct curing (refer to the instructions on the can).

Colours available: Flat White (SP101), Flat Black (SP102), Flat Grey (SP104), *Flat Gold (SP105), Flat Silver (SP106), *Flat Yellow (SP108), *Flat Red (SP109), *Flat Blue (SP110), *Flat Orange (SP114), Clear (SP115), Flat Aluminium (SP117), White Primer (SP118)

Just took a look at the rustoleum spay bottles in Homepro and it says protective enamel resists up to 1200 degree celcius.Forget the price already but somewhere in the 400 Baht range.

Edited by basjke

When you say 'a local company' is that local Thailand or local Oz ??

Looks ideal..

Yes it is ideal. But he means local in Oz, Speco Thomas is the Oz distributor. Nice to know in deepest, darkest Isaan.

Just took a look at the rustoleum spay bottles in Homepro and it says protective enamel resists up to 1200 degree celcius.Forget the price already but somewhere in the 400 Baht range.

So you can get Rustoleum in aerosol cans now? I have seen the normal tins but not the aerosol. Should be the same as Hammerite smooth which gives a good finish. Never tried it on down-pipes though.

• 1 year later...

VHT paint does a fine job,

Is this the VHT vinyl dye in spray cans? If so .. does anyone know where to get it in Thailand. I've been searching for this stuff for months.

blink.gif

sprayed my total exhaust system with rustloeum spray high temp paint twice so far, the bottles came in 2 colors, silver and green. I tried both, the green one proof better. Now, its almost 2 years and no sign of color change.

price is roughly 400-500 baht. remember to clean it before painting.

rustoleum is very easy to find.

Edited by sapi

I buy spray canisters of "Leyland Hi-Temp 1200 Degrees" at a local automobile paint store here in Chiang Rai. That is what I paint BBQ's with. Have only used black but they offer red also and maybe more colors. Anyway, the black holds up well on the BBQ's but I don't know what temps are reached. It is expensive, at around 300 baht per spray can. The label reads "Leyland Auto Spray Touch Up" on the front of the cans. It is manufactured by Nakoya Paint Company in Thailand.

I buy spray canisters of "Leyland Hi-Temp 1200 Degrees" at a local automobile paint store here in Chiang Rai. That is what I paint BBQ's with. Have only used black but they offer red also and maybe more colors. Anyway, the black holds up well on the BBQ's but I don't know what temps are reached. It is expensive, at around 300 baht per spray can. The label reads "Leyland Auto Spray Touch Up" on the front of the cans. It is manufactured by Nakoya Paint Company in Thailand.

Doesn`t hold on engine never mind the headers...it`s crap, and most cases it doesn`t even bake on hard...if your bike is air cooled it`s a bitch here...

Most of these spray paints need heat to finish them off hard. If you read the can it will say run the engine afterwards or get the exhaust hot so as to bake the finish. Trouble is often you cannot do this; I mean you don't get it hot enough or isnt baked long enough for a good finish. Guess it would be best to find someone with an oven? Hey; just had an idea: leave the item out in the hot sun to bake it! Who needs an oven!

Rustoleum is outrageously expensive. I refuse to use it. I use Bosny Hi-Temp 1200 degrees F. A British company made in Thailand. I recon you find a farang/Japanese brand made over here and you get a good product at a good price. This one is 110 baht from a Thai hardware store. Says use for motorcycle engines and mufflers on the tin, so its the right thing to use.

Homepro is a funny shop. All the electrical stuff is very expensive, but some things are very reasonable, like spray paint 59 baht, contact adhesive 49 baht, prices for angle grinder wheels and drill bits very reasonable too. Maybe they use the supermarket trick: some products overpriced to subsidize promotion products or products priced competitivly?

Edited by MaiChai