Breasts

phetaroi

Okay...that got your attention. But in this case I'm talking chicken breasts.

I do most of my shopping for fresh meats at the Emporium food store. Lately it seems as if their "fresh" chicken breaks are very reddish in color. instead of the more common paler yellow-pink Anyone have any idea why?

I'll give you a serious answer from someone who knows poultry. I raised chicken as a kid.

These chicken breasts may have been frozen after processing and later thawed before being displayed for sale. If the chicken has a more rubber-like texture i.e. it doesn't melt in your mouth, then chances are it was frozen and then thawed. Also, are the chicken breasts boneless or boned (no wisecracks! :) )? If the chicken breasts have a centrebone and if there's more red around the bone, then it means that the chicken was frozen because the blood is still near the bone.

Actually I'm almost certain that the chicken breasts have been frozen after processing and then thawed before retail, boneless or not. The darker red colour indicates that the blood hasn't fully left the chicken breast, which is normal for frozen chicken (boneless or boned). This might be because of the long weekend when the slaughterhouses are closed. The slaughterhouse which supplies The Emporium likely slaughtered more chicken than they would for a normal weekend because of the extra off day. Therefore the chicken parts were frozen and kept in a freezer at The Emporium until needed for retail. So if you want fresh chicken breasts, purchase them before a long holiday, otherwise you'll purchase chicken breasts which are more red in colour (the red comes from the chicken blood) because they were frozen due to the long holiday.

Fresh chicken isn't red in colour because the blood has been drained, but chicken parts frozen soon after culling and cutting are normally more red in colour due to the blood not having been able to drain.

Chicken breasts 101.. :D

Edited by Microwave

I'll give you a serious answer from someone who knows poultry. I raised chicken as a kid.

These chicken breasts may have been frozen after processing and later thawed before being displayed for sale. If the chicken has a more rubber-like texture i.e. it doesn't melt in your mouth, then chances are it was frozen and then thawed. Also, are the chicken breasts boneless or boned (no wisecracks! :) )? If the chicken breasts have a centrebone and if there's more red around the bone, then it means that the chicken was frozen because the blood is still near the bone.

Actually I'm almost certain that the chicken breasts have been frozen after processing and then thawed before retail, boneless or not. The darker red colour indicates that the blood hasn't fully left the chicken breast, which is normal for frozen chicken (boneless or boned). This might be because of the long weekend when the slaughterhouses are closed. The slaughterhouse which supplies The Emporium likely slaughtered more chicken than they would for a normal weekend because of the extra off day. Therefore the chicken parts were frozen and kept in a freezer at The Emporium until needed for retail. So if you want fresh chicken breasts, purchase them before a long holiday, otherwise you'll purchase chicken breasts which are more red in colour (the red comes from the chicken blood) because they were frozen due to the long holiday.

Fresh chicken isn't red in colour because the blood has been drained, but chicken parts frozen soon after culling and cutting are normally more red in colour due to the blood not having been able to drain.

So how will the reddish color affect taste (and by the way, I was referring to boneless)?

The reason I asked all this was not just because of the color, but also because I got some the other day that also had a strong odor that just didn't seem right to me. Maybe not related.

I'm not sure where the odor is coming from, but frozen chicken breast has a more rubber-like texture and taste to it because of the excess blood still contained within the meat. Fresh (non frozen) chicken breast will melt in your mouth because the blood has been allowed to drain naturally from the meat.

Glad to be of help. :)

Informative post, thanks. Re texture, although I have no religious affiliation, I try to buy kosher meat whenever I can. All blood drained!

Thairet

I totally agree with this guy.. "Microwave" about the chicken business.. but I prefer "boneless" breasts over "boned" ones.. I hate spitting out little bitty bones of cooked chicken in my Tom kai gai I get in the market..

I prefer to do my own boning that way.. plus grilled boneless chicken is the best over bone chicken.

We feed about 25-30 chickens per meal, but only once or twice a week to all my 40+ TRD. I start the prep table at 6:00am and then by 2:00 pm they are all screaming for more. A chicken and beef based bagged kibble food is the norm. This is just a treat the dogs get once to twice a week. So, I know my chicken!!

Now, to go get some serious boning done... my dogs are hungry and today is their chicken and rice day..good thread..That little lady is screaming at me to get off the computer and help her..

post-56298-1272848195_thumb.jpg

post-56298-1272848309_thumb.jpg

post-56298-1272848450_thumb.jpg

post-56298-1272848523_thumb.jpg

post-56298-1272848544_thumb.jpg

post-56298-1272848568_thumb.jpg

Edited by JackSterling

We feed about 25-30 chickens per meal, but only once or twice a week to all my 40+ TRD. I start the prep table at 6:00am and then by 2:00 pm they are all screaming for more. A chicken and beef based bagged kibble food is the norm. This is just a treat the dogs get once to twice a week. So, I know my chicken!!

Now, to go get some serious boning done... my dogs are hungry and today is their chicken and rice day..good thread..That little lady is screaming at me to get off the computer and help her..

You breed soi dogs?