Direct Pattaya - Luang Prabang (laos) Air Service

City and U-Tapao Pattaya International Airport officials will try to get their plans for direct flights to Luang Prabang in Laos off the ground with a special charter this month.

Area political and business leaders will take a 60-seat aircraft owned by U-Tapao ground handling agent Swift Aviation on a two-day junket to the UNESCO World Heritage Site May 22. Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh, Rear Adm. Surapong Aiyasanon, U-Tapao’s deputy director, Tourism Authority of Thailand Pattaya Director Niti Kongkrut, Pattaya Business & Tourism Association President Jamroon Vitsavachaipan and others will return May 24.

City leaders desperate for new tourists in the face of Thailand’s political upheaval and airport officials looking to justify the 900 million baht expansion of the Royal Thai Navy-run facility say a new route to Luang Prabang, the seat of government for the former Kingdom of Laos before the 1975 communist takeover, would be a great way to generate new business and exchange cultures.

Luang Prabang is located 425 km north of Vientiane at the junction of the Nam Khan and Mekong rivers. Home to just 103,000 people and boasting only four main roads, the town nonetheless is becoming become a popular stop on the Southeast Asian backpacker circuit as well as with Chinese tourists.

The city’s airport already offers direct service to Siam Reap in Cambodia; Hanoi, Vietnam; Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Wish the venture will. This is not as craze or disparate as it may seem. With the expansion of China economically into the Golden triangle they are making themselves known. The improvements that I saw this pass week in the Mae Sai, GTA, Chiang Saen and on the Lao side are mind blowing.

I personally consider this sad news. When I first visited Luang Prabang in 1981, it was a magical place with very little tourism. It was also very poor, and a certain amount of tourism was helpful for the local economy. However, the place it very ill suited to mass tourism. The special atmosphere is disappearing, and it will shortly just be one more destination ruined by package tours.

Well, compared to what we had to pay 10-15 years ago....if they were even available. 3 years ago I few from New York City to London for $150. I flew to Bali last year for about $150 round trip from BKK. And flew from Paris to Madrid for $50 one way this past fall. That's cheap!

I've heard those junkets the Eastern Europeans come in on are fairly inexpensive...same with the Chinese...

• 2 weeks later...