Gmail File Extension

Nickerelastic

I've just been told of this  gmail online storage, Haven't had time time to really look at it tho'. Is anyone using it?

I use it quite a bit, it's great. It has some limitations that the programmer could get around if he were a bit more creative (40 character file limit including path, no spaces, 10 mb file size limit) but it is still a great deal to have 2GB + of free online storage.

I use it to backup some of my files by first zipping them (or .rar) into 10 mb segments and then uploading the whole lot. This lets me get files on the gmail drive in the largest size chunks possible and I can ignore the filename problems because they are contained within the archive.

If you are paranoid about the gmail spider looking at your archives, just encrypt your .zip and .rar files first.

It's also a great way to share files with friends. I have an extra account that my friends all know the login and password for. It is just kind of a semi-private folder that we can swap stuff back and forth. Of course it wouldn't work if someone isn't trustworthy and changed the password, but that's a whole different matter... :o

I have been using one of my gmail accounts purely for storage purposes.

Do you also use Picasa and Hello?

No, i tried picasa but didn't care for it. IIRC I couldn't get the program to show images in full screen mode, not sure. I use an ancient version of ACDSee (3.x). It is much faster than anything else I can find. The new ACDSee versions are ridiculously bloated and slow.

I'm assuimg anyone who actually has the gmail storage thing working is on broadband? I tried saving a CD of mp3s - - set it going and went to sleep. When I woke up I found it had only uploaded 6M in just a little over 4 hours and then disconnected...

No, i tried picasa but didn't care for it. IIRC I couldn't get the program to show images in full screen mode, not sure. I use an ancient version of ACDSee (3.x). It is much faster than anything else I can find. The new ACDSee versions are ridiculously bloated and slow.

I have to agree about the ACDSee newer versions.

I always try and keep an old version of ACDSee handy.

It is one of the most functional photo browsers I have ever experienced.

Back on topic - I use the gmail as a virtual drive. Just drag files into the extension in explorer and let them upload. Broadband helps. Makes it completely portable. A widget you can take anywhere.

I'm assuimg anyone who actually has the gmail storage thing working is on broadband? I tried saving a CD of mp3s - - set it going and went to sleep. When I woke up I found it had only uploaded 6M in just a little over 4 hours and then disconnected...

It would be painfully slow on dialup unless you were just using it to backup documents or other small files. The performance of the gmail drive is simply a matter of how fast your upload and download speeds are.