Need to paint house exterior - which paint? where from?

Niltava

We live in Bangkok and last had our house exterior painted 12 years ago, so it's due to a re-paint.

I have a trusted chang who has done lots of work for us before at good local prices and he'll do the work for me, but I told him I'd source the paint.

As this is a big purchase of paint (covering about 750 sq m) I'd like some guidance from forum members about which brand of paint to use? My default would be either Dulux Weathershield or TOA Supershield, but I've not had to decorate for a while so I'm a bit out of touch with what's best (and best value). 

Whilst I've bought paint from a local paint shop in the past, and from Homepro I've not paid that much attention to their respective differences in price, but given the quantity I'll need for this job I'm a bit more focused on cost - I'm guessing I may be able to get a reasonable discount from the paint shop (and I'm keen to support smaller businesses), but will Homepro etc always undercut these places given their mass market volume?

Thoughts appreciated!

N

The paint manufacturer will usually provide a technical guide for surface prep and application of the coating. Make sure you and your chang understand what is required and he follows through. 100% Acrylic usually provides the longest lasting water based coating, particularly where there are large  surface temperature swings such as from direct sunlight. Surface prep, filling , and priming are key so that you get a good film that sticks to the existing surface coating.  The technical guide will cover the details. If you know what the previous paint is, you may want to stay within that manufacturer’s formulations and type of coating. 

Gloss or semigloss will usually provide the longest coating life and resistance to dirt sticking. Mildew can be an issue for latex paint. Many come with a mildicide already in the paint. If not, the manufacturer will have guidance for specific formulations to use.  If you are spraying the paint rather than brushing or rolling, the manufacturer will specify if thinning is necessary and how much is allowed. 

If the paint store employees are more sales oriented than technical, ask for the local manufacturer technical support rep contact information and discuss your application specifics. 

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

... DO NOT ADD any water to primer or paint, no matter what any idiot suggests or tells you.  You immediately change the chemistry & properties of both.   Really can't be emphasized enough.

for anything excluding the first primer coat i agree completely, however many manufacturers allow/recommend the first primer coat to be significantly diluted, 50% is mentioned on some cans 

On 4/5/2024 at 10:38 AM, Niltava said:

We live in Bangkok and last had our house exterior painted 12 years ago, so it's due to a re-paint.

I have a trusted chang who has done lots of work for us before at good local prices and he'll do the work for me, but I told him I'd source the paint.

As this is a big purchase of paint (covering about 750 sq m) I'd like some guidance from forum members about which brand of paint to use? My default would be either Dulux Weathershield or TOA Supershield, but I've not had to decorate for a while so I'm a bit out of touch with what's best (and best value). 

Whilst I've bought paint from a local paint shop in the past, and from Homepro I've not paid that much attention to their respective differences in price, but given the quantity I'll need for this job I'm a bit more focused on cost - I'm guessing I may be able to get a reasonable discount from the paint shop (and I'm keen to support smaller businesses), but will Homepro etc always undercut these places given their mass market volume?

Thoughts appreciated!

N

I used deltashield to repaint my house 3.5 year ago now. I did the job myself. Sanded everything used  delta sealer and primed. Then 2 top coats. Still shining

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/5/2024 at 11:23 AM, KhunLA said:

Aside from shop around, already suggested ...

... make sure walls & surfaces are properly prepped

... DO NOT ADD any water to primer or paint, no matter what any idiot suggests or tells you.  You immediately change the chemistry & properties of both.   Really can't be emphasized enough.

Surely somebody will come on here and says it's fine, normal and done all the time.  Doesn't make it right.

But when does diluting anything, make it better ?

I agree 100% about not adding water. I had a mate in OZ who worked in the paint industry his entire work life and he advised me to make sure that no water was added to the paint, especially if I was using Dulux. Thais insist on watering down paint so it goes on easier, but it also significantly reduces the lifespan of the paint. The one small section of our house that I wasn't available to oversee the painting, the paint was significantly watered down and it started peeling off after only 18 months. Dulux Weathershield is supposed to last 15 years, and that is the brand of paint I would recommend for exterior painting.

• Agree 1

On 4/5/2024 at 4:29 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

the first primer coat to be significantly diluted

Not with JBP Contact-F. Albeit it has the appearance and consistency of water. Applied with roller brush. Never tried air spray.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

the first primer coat to be significantly diluted

Not with JBP Contact-F. Albeit it has the appearance and consistency of water. Applied with roller brush. Never tried air spray.

@Srikcir it is really a good idea to quote a reply. Is bad form and discourteous to edit a reply so you change it to suit your narrative. What I actually posted was 

many manufacturers allow/recommend the first primer coat to be significantly diluted, 50% is mentioned on some cans 

So congratulations! You have a paint that is so dilute you have no reason to add water/thinner. That also means that you will need more than 2 coats ( usually first thinned, second full body) to produce a good base for your paint.

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Is bad form and discourteous to edit a reply so you change it to suit your narrative.

It's also against the forum rules if it changes the context ...

image.png.9465cda46f581396999254a63bb323b5.png

On 4/5/2024 at 11:23 AM, KhunLA said:

Aside from shop around, already suggested ...

... make sure walls & surfaces are properly prepped

Surely somebody will come on here and says it's fine, normal and done all the time.  Doesn't make it right.

But when does diluting anything, make it better ?

you can add 10% water and no more if  required.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

for anything excluding the first primer coat i agree completely, however many manufacturers allow/recommend the first primer coat to be significantly diluted, 50% is mentioned on some cans 

Khun La is right. Thailand's weather isn't the norm because of all of the sun and heat. Best to leave paint as it comes for as much sun protection as possible. I tried decent paint, just below the TOA Supershield, and it faded very fast. Two colors. No paint will last as long as it's advertised in this extreme condition. Best to buy the best you can afford and not dilute. Primer is always a good choice after you scrape and clean the surface.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:38 AM, Niltava said:

TOA Supershield,

Used this on my new build (after priming) 7 years ago still looks fine, 2 top coats and from memory both were diluted, without diluting it is to 'sticky' IMO.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Khun La is right. Thailand's weather isn't the norm because of all of the sun and heat. Best to leave paint as it comes for as much sun protection as possible. I tried decent paint, just below the TOA Supershield, and it faded very fast. Two colors. No paint will last as long as it's advertised in this extreme condition. Best to buy the best you can afford and not dilute. Primer is always a good choice after you scrape and clean the surface.

"No paint will last as long as it's advertised in this extreme condition.

I can't agree with that statement. I've found Dulux Weather Shield to be better than any other brand available in Thailand. It's been well and truly tested in the harshest Australian conditions (searing heat & humidity, tropical rain, & extreme cold), and it lasts the advertised 15 years when applied without watering down at all and as per the manufacturer's directions. My grandparents and my parents painted their houses with Dulux and the colours only started to fade around 14.5 years after first being applied. Both house were repainted with Dulux and they were in very different regions, so different weather conditions. I've used Dulux here in Thailand, as I previously posted the only section that has peeled away, in less than 18 months, is the section that was painted when I wasn't present to oversee, and the Thai subby, contracted by the builder, watered the paint down by almost 50%. When asked why he watered the paint down after being given specific instructions not to, he said it was too hard to apply the paint. It went on easier when watered down. 

The ONLY way paint will last for the advertised period, is for no water to be added.

My wife, the chief cook and bottle washer and all-round handyman, and instructor of the chang of course, tells me that we use either TOA or Beyer brands, premium Weathershield in all cases, depending on what deals Home Pro have. She says that glossy is best because it's easier to keep clean. I can't complain - we paint every 3 years and the place looks brand new after 18 years.

On 4/5/2024 at 5:38 AM, Niltava said:

Thoughts appreciated!

N

I use TOA Super Shield semi gloss; the gloss will quickly disappear, but makes the surface better resistant to dirt and water.

Most important is the primer, where you can use TOA Quick Primer, which also works on old paint. Loose stuff needs to be removed and cracks repaired before a new paint job.

Don't save on paint quality, you just need to repaint more often.

For best outdoor result: Two times primer, and three layers of top coat, preferably with one day separation between each layer.

I was able to negotiate paint price in HomePro, when I did my house – so far it has lasted well for 15 years and still looks good – so I don't have recent experience in negotiating paint rice for a whole house.

First you didnt refer what do you want to paint. External or Internal walls because we are talking about of two different qualities of color paint.

My suggestion is first to paint the first hand with primer oil for wall in order not to consume many litters of paint which is more expensive and after one day you can paint the color of your choice.

First you should sand with sand the walls - second with a brush take away the dust from walls -third paint with primer oil the first hand in walls - fourth paint first hand of paint and fifth next day paint second hand of paint in walls.

I am not professional but ...I have become professional since many years ago when I paint my three storey new construction house by painting external / internal walls with quality paints and primer wall oils. Totally I consume weght a ....tone of primers and paints and my house is in excellent condition many years ago.Do not forget the first hand to be primer wall oils and to cover the floors and insulate windows /doors / kichen -room closets as well as bathroom besides of that my suggestion is first paint the ceilings and corners with the skirting boards and after the walls.

Edited by Paris333

I like TOA SuperShield and TOA Contact Primer. 

I use "SuperShield" undiluted, and I generally do not dilute water base paint, but if I did, I would follow the manufacturer's instructions on the can like I would any paint. 

The "Contact Primer" is clear, is solvent based, it does not need thinning, it provides great coverage, it is reasonably priced (for a premium product) it sticks to anything, it will stop any bleed-through, it lays down nice, dries quick and does not even need stirring. The only bummer is that it is clear so it can be hard to see where you've painted.

IA good paint job is 90% preparation and 10% application. 

On 4/9/2024 at 9:35 PM, Paris333 said:

First you didnt refer what do you want to paint. External or Internal walls because we are talking about of two different qualities of color paint.

<snipped>

From the OP:

We live in Bangkok and last had our house exterior painted 12 years ago, so it's due to a re-paint

On 4/9/2024 at 12:37 PM, pagallim said:

I would second the recommendation for Jotun.   My whole (large) house exterior was painted 9 years ago, and still looks good.

Yes, my Jotun painted exterior is still looking good after 14 years.

Virtually all paint brands have A, B & C quality paint lines.

What line you select depends on how well you prepare the surface.

1. If you're going to just broom it off and paint, go with the cheapest line. 

2. If you're going to rinse the surface and maybe do a bit of scraping and filling, go with the mid-priced line.

3. If you're going to scrub the surface, scrape, fill, spot-sand, prime, and them fill, scrape and spot-sand again and then spot-prime, go with the premium. 

Don't waste money on expensive paint for a poorly prepared surface. That said, a thin, solvent based primer will help finish paint stick to even poorly prepared surfaces, so it is always worth using.