Expats, Do You Feel "stuck/trapped" In Thailand?

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Expats, do you feel "stuck/trapped" in Thailand?

If you do, it could be for many personal reasons.

Typical examples:

-- been here so long it would be too much of a culture shock to move elsewhere or home country

-- close relationships with Thai people (marriage, etc.) and can't export those Thai people

-- bad economic prospects in home country/nothing or nobody to go back to there

-- holding investments such as real estate/businesses in Thailand that can't be sold for a good price

-- etc., etc., etc.

I voted I feel moderately "stuck/trapped" in Thailand

This is not necessarily a horrible thing IF you like living in Thailand, as I do.

Edited by Jingthing

I see someone voted that they don't understand the question. Yes, I added that option, but I don't understand how someone who understands English couldn't understand the question. Oh well ...

OK, now two votes that way. Perhaps someone who DOES understand the question can rephrase it in such a way that people who don't might get it?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm currently starting the process of moving back to the UK and after living here for the past eight years and in Asia for the past fifteen, it's all proving to be a little bit harder than I might have guessed, mostly it's a familiarisation and logistics issue. Finding temporary accomodation in the UK, the market, the rules and costs have changed considerably since I last attempted this; where to base myself in the short term, having no attachments familywise it's a case of the world (or rather the UK) is my oyster but it's not an easy choice; legislation, after reading the UK newspapers for so long and with only little first hand evidence to go by, it's easy to imagine that the UK has become a very regulated place and will I inadvertantly run afoul of some of these laws; attitudes and crime, surely the general population hasn't changed that much to where I can no longer relate and/or fit in.

Those are just some aspects of my intended move that casue me to wonder at times if I'm doing the right thing or not and whether in some respects I am trapped here. But then I look back at the number of times I've moved in my life and the distances that have been involved and I realise that I'm probably only worrying unecessarily and unduly - so the short answer is no, I don't feel trapped but I have to caveat that by saying these things become more difficult, the older I become.

BTW, I've not moving back on a full time basis and intend to spend at least a part of each year here, preferably the winter months.

I don't understand how someone who understands English couldn't understand the question. Oh well ...

The example you gave about being feeling trapped (cultural shock, relatives, investments, etc.) I can hardly consider them as a trap.

One would feel trap if one did not choose to expatriate to Thailand first.

I have very strong bounds to Thai people and to Thailand and I cannot see myself going back to my birth country. But it is a choice, not an entrapment.

I don't understand how someone who understands English couldn't understand the question. Oh well ...

The example you gave about being feeling trapped (cultural shock, relatives, investments, etc.) I can hardly consider them as a trap.

One would feel trap if one did not choose to expatriate to Thailand first.

I have very strong bounds to Thai people and to Thailand and I cannot see myself going back to my birth country. But it is a choice, not an entrapment.

I think you don't get it. This is about how people FEEL. That doesn't necessarily reflect any objective reality. People indeed make choices, but in the long run, there are often unintended often negative consequences from those choices. It is not about being literally stuck, like not being able to physically get on the airplane.

If nothing else, even given the controversy over a topic like this, I think it might be helpful for potential expats who are considering investments and creating roots in Thailand to know that many expats do indeed end up feeling stuck here, and it may happen to them too. Those who say it couldn't happen to them remind me of people trying addictive drugs saying, only OTHER people get hooked.

Edited by Jingthing

G'day All,

I have lived here for the past 27 years with a few breaks back in OZ (Conferences, Wife doing PhD, etc.) and I do understand very much the feelings that would make one ask those questions. Usually, when contemplating one's lot on this subject, I most always temper my answer with "What the heck would I do back in OZ anyway?" During my last visit, things had changed so much (and are still changing daily) that I felt quite the 'alien' and found, much to my embarrassment, that the people around me looked at me as if I had 2 heads, much the same way they looked at me on returning (twice) from service in Vietnam.

I think anyone who feels entrapped and who has lived here for more than just a few years should read the 'home papers' or their on-line versions at least and see if you are up to the mark on current events etc. and to see how you would 'fit in'. I would say that in the main, for some, the reason 'the shine' has worn off Thailand, is a result of one's own doings and all it requires is to every now and again, do the comparisons between 'home and here' and I'm sure the reasons for initially wanting to reside here, then and now, would carry the day. For all it's negatives, I think Thailand is still the wise man's choice and offers so much more than what was left behind.

"Prisoners in Paradise" (Europe) could become my favorite song.. Yes, I feel very trapped and it's not only a feeling but a fact.

After 10 years in India - at first for a MNC then with my own travel company the then government was so right wing that it was not possible for me to "sell" the country to foreigners and to stay as a foreigner. The tourism minister saw foreigners as potential cultural polluters...

Where to go? Back to Germany? No chance for a 50 + economist and for the 27 old son with high school and experience in the own comp.

In 2000 Thailand seemed to be the right place. Especially as we read a quote of one of the cultural ministers that influences from outside are welcome as the Thai people could freely decide to adapt the good things and would refuse the bad influences. Yes, this was 10 years ago!!

We had bookings for Samui and we did a research with people we knew.

We took over a backpacker resort with a 30-years contract, keymoney and fixed rents after 2 years.

Already after 9 months I stated that we would be able to pay the rent only with 300 % occupancy..., unfortunately I did not talk about it to the landlord but improved the resort with my money and the money of a friend who joined me.

We should have sold the contract in 2005 when the prices were high but at that time 3 years of construction at the neighboring plot started and we thought nobody would take it. That this construction ruined the business is another fact - but we had to pay the rent.

Today I am telling the landlord, that he got already X Mio baht, a swimming pool, 10 AC's, nice furniture, changed bungalows and bathrooms (when we took it over we had even to buy toilet seats...) etc. and that I am working for him, my staff, my beer and cigarettes, my food and dog food. And that's it! He might consider a change of the registered contract regarding the rent because now I could only gift the contract away, getting just the keymoney back.

I think that "trapped" is probably not the right word.

It's a matter of evaluating your options and picking the best one considering your personal circumstances. As mentioned, you might have family or business issues that make it more attractive to stay than to move on regardsless of economic or other issues. Everybody's circumstances are different and what is a compelling issue to one person might not be to another.

I think that "trapped" is probably not the right word.

It's a matter of evaluating your options and picking the best one considering your personal circumstances. As mentioned, you might have family or business issues that make it more attractive to stay than to move on regardsless of economic or other issues. Everybody's circumstances are different and what is a compelling issue to one person might not be to another.

I think stuck is better than trapped to describe what I was trying to say. However, they are similar concepts. Again, this is about how people FEEL. Get it? It's subjective to the person FEELING it, yes?

tired of Thailand or tired of life??

Feeling stuck/trapped is most certainly NOT the same thing as being tired of a place.

I agree. I have spent many great years in Thailand and could probably continue to enjoy a good few more. However, common sense tells me that I must try to make some money in the West before it gets too late. I'm now in the UK (b1oody boring as he11!) trying to size up my options, one of which is to do some property renovation and trading. Finding any other employment here is next to impossible and I feel that I've only just managed to "escape". I can see how this would apply to many other people I know. Living in Thailand for so long has basically shafted my prospects for regular employment, but fingers crossed my other plans will work out; if it doesn't, I'll have to try plan B.

There's also a fair few expats addicted to the lure of the flange and unwilling (or unable) to give that up. Does that make them trapped?

You will have to ask them how they FEEL, at least for the purposes of this thread, this is about how expats FEEL. The feelings may or may not reflect the actual objective reality. For example, at this point now personally I FEEL unemployable back in the US even if there were many jobs available (the news says there aren't). To test that feeling I would actually have to move back there and try it out though. So you see the difference between feeling and objective reality?

There's also a fair few expats addicted to the lure of the flange and unwilling (or unable) to give that up. Does that make them trapped?

You will have to ask them how they FEEL, at least for the purposes of this thread, this is about how expats FEEL. The feelings may or may not reflect the actual objective reality. For example, at this point now personally I FEEL unemployable back in the US even if there were many jobs available (the news says there aren't). To test that feeling I would actually have to move back there and try it out though. So you see the difference between feeling and objective reality?

Just to follow up on that, I recall a fellow expat once calling it the "expat merry go round". Once you get on, it's difficult to get off since you gradually lose your domestic network but gain a new expat network. It might not mean you are trapped in Thailand, but I believe that once you become a long-term professional expat, you are likely to remain one.

I am in a step of my life where i overhaul just everything.

I broke up with my TG because i just don't love her no more and also the sex with her

was no more exiting for me.

I feel a bit of stuck with her as i thought i am missing the life out there. (I am just 26)

I am now in Thailand for 4 years and was working for a Thai company as an engineer for 2 years.

Than i changed to my Dads company for the past 2 years.

Ofcourse the downfall of the economy and the financial crisis also hit us badly.

Now we are trying to raise some business in Hong Kong where i am 200% behind.

I love Thailand very much and i will always come here until i die but if you want to make good money

and be your own boss than you might need to look for other ways to do so and if that mean to

change operation location than you have to do it, right!?!

Its just a little something out of my life.

Thanks for Reading

Just to follow up on that, I recall a fellow expat once calling it the "expat merry go round". Once you get on, it's difficult to get off since you gradually lose your domestic network but gain a new expat network. It might not mean you are trapped in Thailand, but I believe that once you become a long-term professional expat, you are likely to remain one.

There's a heck of a lot of truth in that and when I went back (UK), after some ten years continuously away, that was my biggest problem. No network to tap into, I had to start virtually from scratch although the internet, that wasn't invented when I left, made it a fair bit easier.

I gave a null vote as I'm not in Thailand but I can recall feeling a sense of being not so much trapped but excluded (anti-trapped if you like) from the UK. My first reactions when I went back was of bewilderment at the stuff people saw as being important. Things that I had no inkling of were the number 1 hot topic.

I got over it as would anybody, no matter how much you love a place there is a point at which you'd pack up and leave. Sure for many here on this forum things would have to get pretty bad but say the country, taking a wild card out of the pack, took the route of Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge?

So never say never, there is always that faint chance.