Skype Microphone

THAIPHUKET

Sound quality via built-in pc mic. from Chiang Mai is ok.

Guess with a better mic the other party will hear better.

Is it worth to buy the skype mic, or what do you use???

I assume my Accer 1810T has blue tooth which makes it more comfortable.

, i.e. a blue tooth mic ??

Mate, are you familiar with the tools & options toolbar on skype?

If you are not sure if your inbulit mike is working you can go in and do a sound test. Speak into it and it will play back you a recording of what others would hear if you were talking to them..

the comment above is spot on.

The Skype audio test is really helpful and since Skype does a fair bit of audio compression, you wont notice much of a quality improvement with a new mic unless your built-in mic is really bad. I used to use a professional condenser mic and headphones on my old PC but am now running an iMac and I really do love the convenience and trouble-free operation without having to plug in the mic and headset all the time.

:)

A headset mike will reduce background nose and make it easier for the person you're calling to understand you.

I recently switched from the old-fashioned mike, which requires a powered MIC jack and can be dodgy on some computers, to a USB headset. Much better sound quality and ZERO configuration.

Of course, I have a Mac and this was the only option, as it doesn't have powered MIC ports.

The built-in mic on my 15" intel MacBook Pro is just fine. No noticeable distortion, no wind noise.

My problem is the speakers. They are abysmal, and very very soft. I can't adjust them any louder, so I have to put on the Sennheisers to hear what's being said most of the time. Rather discouraging.

I had the same problem as the OP. Ok quality with the built in mic. But bad enough quality that people on the other side will mention it.

Every headset I've tried, including really cheap ones has worked fine. No need to get a Skype certified one. I also tried plug in mic on a stand with laptop speakers, and that works, but cheap headsets run about as much as a mic alone so might as well get the full set.

Bluetooth would be nice, but I've tried it and it was flaky. Never tried the bluetooth ones certified by Skype so maybe those work.

Bluetooth sounds like too much hassle, too many things to go wrong etc.

I use my MacBook Pro built in mic, works fine. But when I leave the speakers on, I sometimes get a feedback effect where the other party hear themselves talking. Only sometimes though so I think Skype is trying to prevent this, just not always successful. Maybe depends on line lag?! Anyway plugging in headphones works fine.

BTW iPhone headphones work on newer MacBook Pro too - that is, the computer recognizes the mic on the iPhone headphones, and you can use them instead of the built in ones. The headphone port is a combined headphone/mic port. It's a nice touch. One of those little details Apple is so good about.

Could you guys list which makes/models of headsets you have bought/use and how you find them in operation . . . I've recently bought a Creative (HS-33) Headset/Mic and it's awful so am looking for some recommendations for a replacement!

Cheers!

Sure, I used skype quality sound test. No problem there. Only surrounding noises disturb at times. Dont like head phones. I read a bit about voip phone, but can you elaborate further , not sure I understand how to make it work in Thailand.

Could you guys list which makes/models of headsets you have bought/use and how you find them in operation . . . I've recently bought a Creative (HS-33) Headset/Mic and it's awful so am looking for some recommendations for a replacement!

Cheers!

If your Creative isn't USB, you might consider adding a Creative USB sound dongle for about B800.

I have a Plantronics (model discontinued) and like it a lot. Logitech is good. Tried a cheap Genius recently and was surprised how good it was for Skype voice in a short test anyway.

I like a headset that's also good for regular audio. Sometimes I'll be listening to music while dictating or just listening privately. If you're a gamer, then great sound would be critical.

So if you've got the dosh, you can't go wrong w/ Sennheiser (which is what I'd get today, based on the high quality of my Sennheiser portable headphones).

There's a good selection of headsets at a forum sponsor's site:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product.aspx?pid...50-933dc005b647

but headphones are mixed in, unfortunately. These Senns get good reviews, midrange price, come w/ their own lil' USB sound dongle:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product.aspx?pid...50-933dc005b647

For gaming, take a look at these:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/Product.aspx?pid...c2-522b043dcd15