Those Juicy Street Cart Sausages On A Stick

Grawburg

So I see those plump, delicious looking sausages on a stick cooking away on street carts and I want to eat them all, but I'm not a fan of getting worms. Any of you eat these things and did it kill any of you yet? I want to try one.

Well I've had worms but not from Thai street vendor sausages.

I can't remember the name of the sausages I liked but the name "sai nua" is lodged in my mind. If it's those you're on a bout I'm with you 100%.

They didn't kill me either but then neither did the meng da. :)

Are you talking about those big fat succulent looking sausages; that are unfortunately a delicate mixture of ground gristle, rice and stale fat... Oh, how I wish they tasted the way they look... I have tried several times - they look so goooood - but nasty they are! such a shame. That coating of stale fat in your mouth is something that must be tried to be appreciated... mmmm...

The skinless Sai grok Isaan are my favourite...there's a guy at The Century end of Rang Nam that does great ones. I also love the northern Sai ua..with the cabbage, the ginger and sticky rice I'm in heaven!!

My advice to the OP is keep trying different places until you find one that you like. They can vary in taste, texture and quality.

The isaan ones with fermented pork and rice? Been eating them and all Thai street for for 15 years. Love it. Never heard of anyone getting worms.

If they taste really good my wife says "no good for farang' and eats 'em all.

Isn't this new 'worm' thread by the same _____ that started the dog meat thread? I am guessing here, but my guess is "nowhere near Thailand"

Thanks for the info...I'm going to try one tonight.

And yes, I started the dog meat thread. It was a serious question, but considering the replies I got I figured it was best to let the thread die.

The isaan ones with fermented pork and rice? Been eating them and all Thai street for for 15 years. Love it. Never heard of anyone getting worms.

If they taste really good my wife says "no good for farang' and eats 'em all.

My wife also eats Som Tam but says "no good for farang". I believe her on both counts.

Be aware the "P" (as in Ptomaine) is quite high in both items!

Are you talking about those big fat succulent looking sausages; that are unfortunately a delicate mixture of ground gristle, rice and stale fat... Oh, how I wish they tasted the way they look... I have tried several times - they look so goooood - but nasty they are! such a shame. That coating of stale fat in your mouth is something that must be tried to be appreciated... mmmm...

Like flies to the venus fly trap, those succulent looking sausages draw in unsuspecting foreigners dreaming of a good bangers and mash with peas and gravy...

I am invariably dissapointed with these sausages, but will still try them about once a month just to check them again. They look and smell fantastic! Never been ill eating them though.

As one poster above noted, there are all different kinds of varieties out there...

Around BKK, among the street vendors, the variety most likely seen are the "sai goh Isaan" meaning Isaan style sausages, typically served up with some sliced cabbage and some Thai chilis.u..

Then in the markets and in some restaurants, there are the Northern-Chiang Mai style "sai oua", which often are served with some roasted peanuts, sliced ginger, cabbage and sometimes sticky rice "khao niao".

The quality of the sai oua served tends to be pretty good.... It's cheaply but deliciously also available at food hall shops in Siam Paragon (when it reopens) and the Emporium.

The quality of the sai goh Isaan among street vendors can be all over the map... But I've never gotten sick from eating them, to the best of my knowledge...

the little issan sweet sausages with rice are a favorite but I tend to stay away from other stuff on skewers like the little gray balls of indeterminate origin...looks like they were previously used in an industrial application like for cleaning tubes in heat exchangers in process plants... :)

No Tutsi...the industrial cleaning residue is what goes into the Thai beer you drink... :D

thai beer?...never touch it 'cept down the food stall at the bus station; tolerable with larb, mu daeng an' sticky rice...mostly gotta look around fer the issan sausages, the MiL usually brings them home when she finds them 'cause she knows that I like 'em...then I build us a couple of vodkas with soda and juice an' down the hatch...

the wife narrows her eyes an' sez: 'yew trine t'get my mum drunk again?...'...I try to change the subject:' but sweetheart, if yer mum don't get me these nice sausages who will?...' :)

I love the Isaan style (sai grog). Make sure you get the cabbage, chilis & ginger though. Take a bite of each ingredient and chew them all together and it's like there's a flavour explosion in your mouth :)

Been eating them for years but only got sick once...but that was from the cabbage which I should have washed.

I love the Isaan style (sai grog). Make sure you get the cabbage, chilis & ginger though. Take a bite of each ingredient and chew them all together and it's like there's a flavour explosion in your mouth :)

Been eating them for years but only got sick once...but that was from the cabbage which I should have washed.

Yes, I agree - all the tastes together makes it a different experience.

Maybe the bite of the ginger and the cabbage also kills off any greasiness from the sausage.

Like one poster said, there's nothing worse than eating one that's been stood in its fat for too long so it coats your mouth. And you never know if you're going to get a treat or a turnoff. Even from the stall on my corner, the quality varies. Got to keep trying though.

Yes, I agree - all the tastes together makes it a different experience.

Maybe the bite of the ginger and the cabbage also kills off any greasiness from the sausage.

Like one poster said, there's nothing worse than eating one that's been stood in its fat for too long so it coats your mouth. And you never know if you're going to get a treat or a turnoff. Even from the stall on my corner, the quality varies. Got to keep trying though.

I've run into some homemade ones, the ones not made for sale, and they were a lot less greasy and less salty. The lady who made it told me that street vendors add a lot of fat and rice to reduce the cost.

Best regards,

Roy