Larry's Dive (sukhumvit Soi 22)

Hi TV people,

I am looking to go out with a few friends coming over in a couple of weeks (subject to Volcano's and other political rambling) and one of the names mentioned from long ago was Larry's Dive. I remember a few years back that this place had an up and coming reputation (good ribs?).... however.... A couple of friends went there about a month ago and said the place was a s_hit hole and looked more like a moon bar (no atmosphere).

I would be interested on any TV posters that might have been there recently to provide some advice (or pictures) if Larry's Dive still looks like a cheap s_hit hole or is it a decent place to go comparable to Dubliner, Londoner, Molly's etc.

Would you take some of your mates there for a beer?

I'm not in the immediate location so its not easy for me to just pop down there.

MNM

Used to have a good Reuben Sandwich. Haven't been there for 10ish years though.

I've heard some stories from a few years ago about the food, but also that it was all about the chef... and if the chef left, pretty much the menu would leave with him...

Unfortunately I think 'dive' will be an accurate description... but I'm not going to pre-judge just yet...

MNM

Yes, I would say Larry's is very marginal and nothing to write home about.

I agree with the poster who says why not take it to Bourbon St.

Also Gulliver's is worth a go.

Larry's was a meant to be a 'sentimental' visit for old times sake... but I think we won't be going there... Bourbon St. has some recommendations... Is Gulliver the one on soi 5 right hand side about 200 metres down the soi?

MNM

Yes, I would say Larry's is very marginal and nothing to write home about.

I agree with the poster who says why not take it to Bourbon St.

Also Gulliver's is worth a go.

Larry's was a meant to be a 'sentimental' visit for old times sake... but I think we won't be going there... Bourbon St. has some recommendations... Is Gulliver the one on soi 5 right hand side about 200 metres down the soi?

MNM

Yes Gullivers is exactly as you have described.

Some of the customers are interesting to say the least.

Bourbon St every time over the Dive.

Larrys used to be excellent ten years ago, it was one of those places that was fun, had real character, and served decent food. It was always on my list everytime I was in Bangkok.

However it has undergone a lot of changes, halved in size, and has a totally different feel now, though they still use the same website.

We visited two weeks ago, had a drink and basket of wings, and then left earlier than we had intended, rather dissapointed.

It seemed to be run and staffed by a Thai family, though I may be wrong, and the place no longer feels relaxed, the lighting is as bright as in a retail shop.

The staff seemed uncomfortable and out of their depth, the place needs better management.

The couple times I've been there for various reasons in the past couple years, it's been virtually empty...and nothing there gave me any particular reason to return.

Gulliver's is a bit farther a way...and not in the greatest of areas... Nearby to Larry's, I'd say Robin Hood on the other side of Suk Road is a pleasant place to meet some mates for drinks and a bite.

Larrys used to be excellent ten years ago, it was one of those places that was fun, had real character, and served decent food. It was always on my list everytime I was in Bangkok.

However it has undergone a lot of changes, halved in size, and has a totally different feel now, though they still use the same website.

We visited two weeks ago, had a drink and basket of wings, and then left earlier than we had intended, rather dissapointed.

It seemed to be run and staffed by a Thai family, though I may be wrong, and the place no longer feels relaxed, the lighting is as bright as in a retail shop.

The staff seemed uncomfortable and out of their depth, the place needs better management.

If it did have better management would you go back there?? And what improvements would you like to see? What are people looking for in a pub these days? Ive been to a few of the "Big pubs" in sukhumvit and silom lately and they all seem to be pretty empty. Most of them have good sports coverage and a few have live music, but they all seem to be lacking 1 thing..........customers!

maybe its the beer prices(after happy hour) that puts people off.

• 2 weeks later...

I was one of a few musicians that played there "free of charge" For fun and to get out of the room a bit.

The agreement was us musicians got complimentary beverages when playing, and food 10% off.

Typically we used/left our personal equipment at Larrys thus provided them with free rental gear. OK, no problem. My guitar amplifier had been there on free loan. The stage outlets were not grounded so routinely we get small shocks in addition to mosquito bites.

Last time I played there, needing to use taxi's for about 200 baht r/t cause I had instrument and electronics, I also brought friends. Friends ate meals and drank, they paid their own bills.

I drank a whopping 1(one) glass of beer. The manager was not there but his wife was, and she knows the agreement for musicians.

She made me pay for the 1 beer claiming her husband wasn't there and she could not approve. Total BS. No doubt in her mind she was happy to make a little more money but unable to conceptualize the value of free musicians and additional business they will bring. Sorry to be rude but I think rice farming is very appropriate for some people.

I took my free loaner amp and other electronic stuff and never went back. I don't know if any musicians still play there. They played for free, brought customers, entertained customers, provided their own equipment and got shafted.

I would recommend the Queen Victoria pub in Suk 23, its nearby and the food there is very good. Its just past Cowboy on the right side of 23, if you are coming from Suk.

I was one of a few musicians that played there "free of charge" For fun and to get out of the room a bit.

The agreement was us musicians got complimentary beverages when playing, and food 10% off.

Typically we used/left our personal equipment at Larrys thus provided them with free rental gear. OK, no problem. My guitar amplifier had been there on free loan. The stage outlets were not grounded so routinely we get small shocks in addition to mosquito bites.

Last time I played there, needing to use taxi's for about 200 baht r/t cause I had instrument and electronics, I also brought friends. Friends ate meals and drank, they paid their own bills.

I drank a whopping 1(one) glass of beer. The manager was not there but his wife was, and she knows the agreement for musicians.

She made me pay for the 1 beer claiming her husband wasn't there and she could not approve. Total BS. No doubt in her mind she was happy to make a little more money but unable to conceptualize the value of free musicians and additional business they will bring. Sorry to be rude but I think rice farming is very appropriate for some people.

I took my free loaner amp and other electronic stuff and never went back. I don't know if any musicians still play there. They played for free, brought customers, entertained customers, provided their own equipment and got shafted.

When was the last time you played there???

When was the last time you played there???

Been at least 6-8 months. It was while they had beach sand on the floor and the front facade was left open.

Edited by atyclb

• 2 weeks later...

The musicians that were hired to play at Larry's were paid. The free drink was only for when they had open mic night. The management that was there when you were "stiffed" for the drink are long gone. That said, it currently is lacking any sort of, well anything, and it is too bright, but I think they have a new manager trying to change things. (I am not the new manager)

The musicians that were hired to play at Larry's were paid. The free drink was only for when they had open mic night. The management that was there when you were "stiffed" for the drink are long gone. That said, it currently is lacking any sort of, well anything, and it is too bright, but I think they have a new manager trying to change things. (I am not the new manager)

You not the manager but one of the partners or related to it, doesn't matter to me but any changes been done as:

Bright light (atmosphere)

Maybe some sofa's instead of the 150 KG wooden chairs.

Let us know

You may call them what you wish

During the time frame I was playing, none of the musicians were paid. This includes a teacher/guitarist at a well known international school, and at least one other guitar player that played acoustic at Larry's although use to play more of electric heavy metal back home.

When we were there, you're so called "open mic" performers were regulars on assigned nights. The manager that I dealt with was actually a nice guy, first letter name "H", and could consume a case of Singha beer in an evening(regularly). It was his wife that "stiffed me for one drink" This after the waitress informed me the musicians performing get comped drinks.

An alternate explanation/theory; all the other musicians and manager told me they were not getting paid even though they were.....????????

I am not trying to badmouth Larry's, just recalling my experience there at that time.

Edited by atyclb

I recall one time the Friday evening unpaid guitarist was on vacation and not in Thailand. A keyboard player singer was paid to cover. That was the only exception I am aware of.

Anyway, hopefully Larry's is doing well under new management.

Amazed it still exists. A place I used to frequent, but had completely forgotten about a long time ago. From 1994 till 2000 I lived in Hua Hin, and frequently made my way to Bangkok for just one night. For a while often started my nights at Larry's Dive, in those days food, like the Greek salad, was excellent there. I liked the place, it looked quite different than any other place. Never many customers there though, sometimes I wondered how they could stay afloat financially.

By the way does anybody remember a bar called I believe 22 Bar on Sukh, on the corner with Soi 22, next to the 7/11? Was run by a 50ish British chap called Ray if I remember correctly.

22 Bar on Sukh, on the corner with Soi 22

if that was the hole in the wall Scottish Pub then its moved about 5 years ago and is located just after the Imperial Towers Hotel (same side)before you get to the red hand cowboy bar ( which used to actually be.... Cowboys...the Cowboy of Soi 23)

You not the manager but one of the partners or related to it, doesn't matter to me but any changes been done as:

Bright light (atmosphere)

Maybe some sofa's instead of the 150 KG wooden chairs.

Let us know

AS you say, it doesn't matter, but I am NOT a partner owner, manager etc. I did play there, and was paid(not a lot)

• 9 years later...