Whats The Difference Between ราดข้าว And กับข้าว?

farangnahrak

How are you finding the food in Kennewick? Used to being back yet?

I'm actually back in Bangkok now. And finding the food here as delightful as always. Though I do enjoy the odd jaunt home. :D

Welcome back. :)

Edited by Groongthep

Similarly, as a native speaker, which would you normally use as the classifier for ซาลาเปา, ลูก or ชิ้น ? Is this another case of there being no exact correct answer as in your example where either ชาม or a ถ้วย could be used with a container of curry or soup like dtom kaa kai?

The classifier for ซาลาเปา is ลูก only.

The classifier ชาม or a ถ้วย can be used alternatively, but Thai people prefer using ถ้วย than ชาม for a bowl of curry or soup. Sometimes I used ชาม but when the waiter repeated my order he would use ถ้วย instead. Don't ask who is correct because both are correct, but it depends on how each person is used to using which word.

Similarly, as a native speaker, which would you normally use as the classifier for ซาลาเปา, ลูก or ชิ้น ? Is this another case of there being no exact correct answer as in your example where either ชาม or a ถ้วย could be used with a container of curry or soup like dtom kaa kai?

The classifier ชาม or a ถ้วย can be used alternatively, but Thai people prefer using ถ้วย than ชาม for a bowl of curry or soup. Sometimes I used ชาม but when the waiter repeated my order he would use ถ้วย instead. Don't ask who is correct because both are correct, but it depends on how each person is used to using which word.

Does the question of using ถ้วย or ชาม depend on the size of the serving? In American restaurants a ชาม is a larger serving than a ถ้วย. Does the same apply in Thai restaurants?

Does the question of using ถ้วย or ชาม depend on the size of the serving? In American restaurants a ชาม is a larger serving than a ถ้วย. Does the same apply in Thai restaurants?

Used to be the same but nowadays, they are pretty much interchangeable.

Best regards,

Roy

By the way, thanks for informing me that the classifier (ลักษณะนาม) for ซาลาเปา is ลูก. I have been buying them by the ชิ้น and have never been corrected by the vendors.
Similarly, as a native speaker, which would you normally use as the classifier for ซาลาเปา, ลูก or ชิ้น ?

Here's a good example of where I wish Thai people would correct me when I make a mistake. On the occasion I am corrected I am always grateful and tell them so. Luckily, I also have you guys on TV to set me straight. Thanks. :)

กับ ข้าว = with rice.

I don't think กับ here really means 'with', since กับ by itself means 'food eaten with rice'. For example, you can say มีกับสามอย่าง 'there are three dishes (to be eaten with the rice)', meaning three distinct types of food. Cf. กับแกล้ม, snacks eaten with alcoholic drinks.

So when you ทำกับข้าว 'cook', you are literally 'making food (to be eaten with) rice', and not 'making with rice', which seems like an overly literal interpretation.

it doesn't. you can use กับ with different words and it changes its meaning as you suggested which is right.

however, "กับ ข้าว" means with rice.

you cannot translate thai word by word to english it doesn't work like that.

a thai told me this, my wife, and i think she is right.

Edited by LuckyFive8888

The classifier ลูก is used for anything round and for fruits (fruits are typically round, but bananas are included).

ชิ้น means 'piece' or 'slice' of something larger, like for cakes or pizza.

If I broke off a part of a ซาลาเปา and gave it to you, then you'd have ซาลาเปาหนึ่งชิ้น.

Its a piece of cake, really :)

(bad pun, I know . . .)

The restaurant is more pricey and higher quality food than a typical 3-walled restaurant. Not too special though, no air condition, but lots of fans . . . :)

(sorry, I always wanted to use that icon!)

and sorry , I can't understand this phrase (I don't know if I get it correct)

"and I'm not sure why its a different amount for different dishes"

can you explain for me?

For example: ราดข้าว กับข้าว

เปรี้ยวหวาน 80บ 150บ

กระเทียมพริกไท 50บ 70บ

ไข่เจียวหมูสับ 35บ 45บ

Especially the first example, paying 70 more baht for just rice? Doesn't make since. And you *must* choose either ราดข้าว or กับข้าว, there is no other price option. ง๊งงง

(I asked them for a copy of the menu, so these are real examples)

farangnahruck....

you are not paying the extra 70 baht for rice.... nope....

the extra 70 THB is for the extra portion of the dish selection that you order, rather....

when you order something as GubKow, กับข้าว, you are indicating that you want your order prepared by itself.... without rice or noodle on the same plate....

for example, i may want to order some curry as GubKow.... so i may partake it with my french bread.... rather than with ordinary rice or sticky rice.... my GubKow portion would be larger in quantity.... thus higher price.... :D

farangnahrak.... are you really the farangnahrak--ฝรั่งน่ารัก.... trimmed, fit and loveable.... as your thai name implied....? a really nice thai name indeed.... cheers ..... :D

Edited by nakachalet

farangnahrak.... are you really the farangnahrak--ฝรั่งน่ารัก.... trimmed, fit and loveable.... as your thai name implied....? a really nice thai name indeed.... cheers ..... :)

Well, so the girls say . . . :D

Relatively speaking, I'm still in my 20's . . .

When ordering takeaway I say หอ่กลับบ้าน.

Seems to work.

I don't bother with บ้าน, although not incorrect. I simply use หอ่กลับ.