Gaps In Your Knowledge

mca

I was always good at geography and pretty good at history, but I was totally innocent about culture in Asia until I came to Thailand 14 years ago. And, it's been an ongoing learning process ever since. I've certainly learned a lot in those 14 years and all I can say is... "vive la différence"

I always have an encyclopedia nearby and it helps to bring things into perspective when I see something in the news.

But, after reading what I just wrote, I didn't really answer the OP's question... What was I wrong about? I guess it was believing what my Christian upbringing told me was right and wrong. I've certainly learned a lot about bigotry and hypocrisy.

We just need to keep practising it till we get it right

SC

I was always good at geography and pretty good at history, but I was totally innocent about culture in Asia until I came to Thailand 14 years ago. And, it's been an ongoing learning process ever since. I've certainly learned a lot in those 14 years and all I can say is... "vive la différence"

I always have an encyclopedia nearby and it helps to bring things into perspective when I see something in the news.

But, after reading what I just wrote, I didn't really answer the OP's question... What was I wrong about? I guess it was believing what my Christian upbringing told me was right and wrong. I've certainly learned a lot about bigotry and hypocrisy.

SC

Yah, I've learned the whole western world is run by bigots and hypocrites. Some even bring those flaws to Thailand with them.

SC

Yah, I've learned the whole western world is run by bigots and hypocrites. Some even bring those flaws to Thailand with them.

We'd have to rely on darkies and pervs if we excluded the bigots and hypocrites from government.

Live and let live, I say.

Anyway, what have you got against bigots and hypocrites.

Getting back on topic, I discovered yesterday that Jason Robinson was half-Scottish half-Jamaican; I wonder if we could tempt him out of retirement for the October European Cup? I'd always thought he was a South Sea Islander,f rom his mastery of the maori side-step.

(you're going to have to rely on wikipedia now to fill in some gaps in your knowledge, and possibley open up new fields of irrelevant trivia to your estates of wisdom,,,

SC

I had no clue what a Sin Sot was until it was posted a few hundred times on thaivisa. Before I discovered thaivisa I actually thought Sin Sot had something to do with sin... which I DO know something about.

I didn't know pickles came cucumbers until 18.

I hopped off a fancy bus at San Cristobal de Las Casas, with a gaggle of tourists. The girls, Mayas from the Tzotziles (350,000 strong), sold key chains for ten pesos. I surprised them by naming jun, chib, 'oxib, ending with their native word for five. The girls howled and agreed to be sell me for five. Then I entertained them with a imitation of a monkey.

I did not know until age 62 that the oldest pacifist religion was not Buddhism, but Jewish.

What is the name of the Jewish Religion?

SC

I've learnt a lot of people who have left the west don't understand the phrase "least worst option".

Despite having seen the logo many many times, I didn't realise that the white space between the E and X was deliberately designed to make a big white arrow until someone pointed it out... :)

fedex_logo.jpg

And now you've bloody pointed it out I can't avoid seeing it. GRRRRRRRRR!

I hopped off a fancy bus at San Cristobal de Las Casas, with a gaggle of tourists. The girls, Mayas from the Tzotziles (350,000 strong), sold key chains for ten pesos. I surprised them by naming jun, chib, 'oxib, ending with their native word for five. The girls howled and agreed to be sell me for five. Then I entertained them with a imitation of a monkey.

I did not know until age 62 that the oldest pacifist religion was not Buddhism, but Jewish.

I hope PB gets well soon! I want to argue this one with him!

I wouldn't define Judaism as pacifist --- and I would suggest Jainism is the oldest pacifist religion :)

I thought the "Sumer of Love" was 1972 ---- until today!

You could have fooled me, after what happened a few days ago and all of those years before that. :)

Despite having seen the logo many many times, I didn't realise that the white space between the E and X was deliberately designed to make a big white arrow until someone pointed it out... :)

fedex_logo.jpg

Did anyone notice the erect penis between the e and the d?

fedex_logo.jpg

That's a spoon mate.

fedex_logo.jpg

That's a spoon mate.

How is a spoon relevant to a courier company??

fedex_logo.jpg

I didn't know that until you told me.

fedex_logo.jpg

? How can you tell its deliberate?

If you look at the unfinished arrow between the F and the e, what shape do you see the absent top diagonal of the arrow-head? curved, same as the lower diagonal, or straight? Do you think that one is deliberate as well.

To be honest, if you are seeing deliberate intent in things like that, then perhaps you should also be aware that people have been watching you for some time. You should keep an eye out for them. To avoid detection, they try to get a different person to follow you all the time...

I suppose you'll have guessed who some of them are already, because it always seems to be the same posters that reply within a few posts of your comments, though not necessarily specificly on your comments...

SC

Was wrong about a Bee Gees lyric.

Had always thought it strangely said:

Four legged women

Four legged women two knees

When actually it was saying:

More than a women

More than a women to me

Tricky thing song lyrics.

fedex_logo.jpg

? How can you tell its deliberate?

If you look at the unfinished arrow between the F and the e, what shape do you see the absent top diagonal of the arrow-head? curved, same as the lower diagonal, or straight? Do you think that one is deliberate as well.

To be honest, if you are seeing deliberate intent in things like that, then perhaps you should also be aware that people have been watching you for some time. You should keep an eye out for them. To avoid detection, they try to get a different person to follow you all the time...

I suppose you'll have guessed who some of them are already, because it always seems to be the same posters that reply within a few posts of your comments, though not necessarily specificly on your comments...

SC

:D

Four legged women

More than a women

More than a women to me

Oh man that's funny! :)

Four legged women

More than a women

More than a women to me

Oh man that's funny! :)

There are some real classics. To keep within TV rules you could start a whole new thread on misheard Thai song lyrics (mondegreens).