Theft Insurance

1st or 2nd class insurance covers theft. The first car I bought in Thailand was a second-hand Toyota, which was stolen. I bought from a dealer and let them sort out a policy from Thai insurance for me, the claim took five months to be settled and obviously never reimbursed my total intial outlay.

The amount insured in case of fire or theft is clearly stated on your insurance documents when you purchase the policy and is calculated from the trade-in value. In view of my experience I'd recommend sorting your own policy out either online, or though a broker (unless you buy new in which case you'll get a free first year 1st class policy). Thai Visa insurance have brokers you can ask if your a member.

1st or 2nd class insurance covers theft. The first car I bought in Thailand was a second-hand Toyota, which was stolen. I bought from a dealer and let them sort out a policy from Thai insurance for me, the claim took five months to be settled and obviously never reimbursed my total intial outlay.

The amount insured in case of fire or theft is clearly stated on your insurance documents when you purchase the policy and is calculated from the trade-in value. In view of my experience I'd recommend sorting your own policy out either online, or though a broker (unless you buy new in which case you'll get a free first year 1st class policy). Thai Visa insurance have brokers you can ask if your a member.

Not all new cars get free insurance.. we had to buy it mandatory at the Honda dealer. Not free at all.. will see about next year.

I take it you brought the car on finance then - condition of the lease is mandatory insurance from whom ever the leasing company says

Yes we financed the car part of it anyway. So i take it we are now at the mercy of that insurance company. I did not know that but i take it it wont be a bad company maybe more expensive then normal.

to be fair Toyota did the same to me - you can with a lot of paperwork get an independent insurance company to insure your vehicle - But when i looked into it the insurance via Toyota leasing was actually better cover for same money as other companies